GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Engine Flooded Whats Going On???

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-08, 06:36 AM
JH282
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Flooded Whats Going On???

I'll try to make this as concise as possible. My engine gets flooded with fuel to the point where is shuts off. In order to turn it back on, I have to pull the TB, plugs, and crank it so that gas shoots out the cylinders. I've replaced plugs, wires, rotor, cap, distributor, injector o-rings, I swapped ECU's with my manual SC. Well last night I think I found what is causing the problem. When I turn the key, the injectors prime, but never turn back off. In other words I have constant power on all 6 in injector clips at all times. Any clue as to what's causing this? I'm going to try to pick up another GS ECU on my lunch break. BTW it's a stock 93 GS.
Old 01-24-08, 06:52 AM
blklegend
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If it isn't a grounding issue, its most likely the ECU.
Old 01-24-08, 07:23 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JH282
I'll try to make this as concise as possible. My engine gets flooded with fuel to the point where is shuts off. In order to turn it back on, I have to pull the TB, plugs, and crank it so that gas shoots out the cylinders. I've replaced plugs, wires, rotor, cap, distributor, injector o-rings, I swapped ECU's with my manual SC. Well last night I think I found what is causing the problem. When I turn the key, the injectors prime, but never turn back off. In other words I have constant power on all 6 in injector clips at all times. Any clue as to what's causing this? I'm going to try to pick up another GS ECU on my lunch break. BTW it's a stock 93 GS.
How do know the injectors arent turning off ? If thats the case, you would have a very, very large pool of fuel coming out of the seals in your motor.

BTW: no matter what you find out. You should definatly change your oil. You dont want the fuel to wash out your oil and burn up the rings.
Old 01-24-08, 07:39 AM
JH282
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by twojayzee
How do know the injectors arent turning off ? If thats the case, you would have a very, very large pool of fuel coming out of the seals in your motor.

BTW: no matter what you find out. You should definatly change your oil. You dont want the fuel to wash out your oil and burn up the rings.
When you turn the ignition on the injectors are supposed to prime, then shut off. Well, I could hear the injectors spraying way after they should have stopped. I pulled the clips and hooked up a test light and had power on all 6 clips. "very, very large pool of fuel" doesn't even begin to describe this thing. I had a pool of fuel in the intake box where the air filter sits. The oil was changed last night before it flooded again.
Old 01-24-08, 07:53 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Eww, check the ECU and report back
Old 01-24-08, 06:44 PM
Kaiser
Racer

Bypass the fuel ecu in the trunk. You will need to jumper two wires to do it. I don't remember the color codes right now, but there are two different sized wires in the loom. It's two larger ones right next to each other.
Old 01-24-08, 09:12 PM
JH282
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kaiser
Bypass the fuel ecu in the trunk. You will need to jumper two wires to do it. I don't remember the color codes right now, but there are two different sized wires in the loom. It's two larger ones right next to each other.

Already did that. I know those things fail from experience with my SC.

I replaced the ECU with one from another GS tonight and it wouldn't run. Just backfired and shut off.

I've never been stumped like this before. Could something in the harness be causing this. ??? Aside from the motor the harness is the only thing I haven't replaced.
Old 01-25-08, 06:50 PM
Kaiser
Racer

A stab in the dark: A stuck open injector would cause the rail to never reach full pressure possibly causing the pump to continuously pump trying to reach operating pressure.
Old 01-25-08, 08:58 PM
JH282
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Kaiser
A stab in the dark: A stuck open injector would cause the rail to never reach full pressure possibly causing the pump to continuously pump trying to reach operating pressure.
Injectors were all tested and are in proper working order. I even pulled the entire wiring harness to check if it might have grounded itself somehow. That thing is bullet proof though, and I found nothing. At this point I have no clue what to do...
Old 01-26-08, 07:33 AM
Kaiser
Racer

Fuel pressure regulator could be shot and allowing too much pressure to the rail?