GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

to you guys driving in snow

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-08, 09:46 AM
BrooklnLex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I got caught in the snow one day, it was the worst drive ever! The car slid from side to side and almost did a 360 at no more than 20 MPH!

I take the big azz bus whenever it snows! LOL! Baby stays parked in the garage until all is clear...
Old 02-26-08, 12:54 AM
qpdo
Rookie

high fives to my Canadian brothers for rocking their aristo's! hahaha

believe it or not, my Aristo was bought for the sole purpose of being my winter car. My passion, sad to say it on this forum, lies with my other babies. Literally... 2 classic Austin Mini's. They are my summer cars. But as all my canadian bro's have been saying, winters are a must, traction control is wonderful and an empty parking lot a 2am in the morning is the ****!

qpdo
Old 02-26-08, 03:44 AM
flipicanez
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Traction control can be your friend or it can be your enemy. It seems when I get into some really packed snow in the right conditions, turning it off can help my tires dig itself into traction.

What helps is getting some sandbags in the trunk, the true advantage to RWD in the snow. True FWD is great, but you can't adjust like you can with RWD.
Old 02-21-09, 11:29 PM
frantinez
Pole Position

Default re: gs300 in snow

So, just how bad are these cars in the snow. The general feeling appears to be 'pretty bad.' Could a 94 GS300 with New Snow Tires be decent for daily driving or should I just keep my FWD car for daily driving?

Eric
Old 02-22-09, 07:49 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by frantinez
So, just how bad are these cars in the snow. The general feeling appears to be 'pretty bad.' Could a 94 GS300 with New Snow Tires be decent for daily driving or should I just keep my FWD car for daily driving?

Eric
Daily driving in the snow ? It could be ok. But they are not ideal. I would much rather have a fwd in the snow.
Old 02-22-09, 11:45 AM
afracer
Driver

I'm sure the GS does well in the snow with the right driver mod and all season or snow tires. Haven't driven ours yet in the snow but I'm sure it's probably pretty decent being such a heavy car. Tires make a huge difference. I was not convinced of this till the first time I tried to drive performance "summer" tires in 4" of snow...I couldn't go 20 feet before it'd slowly just spin around on me and get stuck...on a perfectly flat surface. Threw on some all-seasons and did just fine. Wider tires aren't usually better on the snow either, skinny stockers are best. Around here I'm more worried about the other people than myself losing control, ESPECIALLY the idiots in 4x4's and SUVs that think they can master the snow because of the vehicle and drive way faster than they should.
Old 02-22-09, 03:40 PM
frantinez
Pole Position

Thanks for the replies. Just to clarify, it would be my daily driver but we do not get "alot" of snow here in New York City. We get the occasional snow storm and a lot of little 2''-4'' snowfalls. I drive my car to and from New York City about 3 or 4 times per week and I've driven in light snow/flurries probably 8-10 times so far this winter. I was just wondering, with a set of the BEST SNOW TIRES, if I could manage in a 1st Generation GS3. As for the rest of my daily driving, the roads are clear 95% of the time.

Thoughts, ideas? Does anyone think I should just stay away? I have to make a decision on the car within a week. It would be replacing my old pride and joy - my 1992 Acura Legend Coupe (auto, FWD).

Thanks again.

Eric
Old 02-23-09, 05:30 AM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the good snow tires willg et you through what you describe with ease. they are truly amazing.
Old 02-23-09, 09:09 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As many have said, RWD cars can be a bit of an adventure in the winter time. With some good snow tires, and of coourse reduced speed, and a little extra weight in the trunk you should be just fine.

Frantinez, what part of Ny are you from. Drop down into the NELOC forum and introduce yourself. Lots of locals in the area, and events jump off quite often in the warmer months.
Old 02-24-09, 06:39 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Been rolling all winter long in quebec in a harsh winter here..

16 mk3 sawblades with winter tires. only way to roll... even then it doens't do very good in the snow.. if I stop on a hill I most likely wont get going again if it's snowy.
Old 02-24-09, 09:07 AM
Mikes94GS3
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I can't afford snow tires, nor could I afford to miss work. For me, it's cable style chains.
Old 02-24-09, 11:18 PM
gs300cky
Lead Lap

i dunno why so many of you hate driving in the snow with this car i LOVE IT! i just put my stock wheels wrapped with the Michelin BLIZZAK on and i haven't slip yet and i drive up to the mountains occasionally in the snow storms. i live in Colorado and this is my daily driver, i do better in the GS then in my ES. But also i make sure I have the best snow tires (BLIZZAK). i personally hate snow but i cant miss a day at the job so i have to go and i haven't had any issues Knock on wood
Old 02-27-09, 02:49 PM
frantinez
Pole Position

Wow- thank you for all of the helpful replies. You've definetly influenced my decision to purchase.
Old 02-27-09, 03:01 PM
frantinez
Pole Position

Wow- thank you for all of the helpful replies. You've definetly influenced my decision to purchase.
Old 02-27-09, 03:08 PM
SharkGTS
Rookie

stuck for $ - buy used wheels and tires. checkout craigslist etc. lucked out ...for $1000 i got like new bridgestone blizzaks on 7 spoke 18's(not a scratch). they look great and the tire is high performance, not as good as some others in the snow though (i would recommend them for back east). pretty good compromise for me though, i can run these october-april and go back to the phat lowenharts for the summer.

Quick Reply: to you guys driving in snow