GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

no heat, and i'm freezing

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-08, 10:48 AM
bigdogg49
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool no heat, and i'm freezing

ok, I bought this car in october, runs great, it started getting cold, and i noticed the heater didn't work, so I looked under the hood and found the heater control valve was missing, so i got one hoping that would fix my problem, well still no heat!! I also noticed that the electric fan is always on, is it suppose to be on all the time? I am starting to think that the t-stat is stuck open or missing, i am going to go buy a new one, today, i haven't really looked to where it is on this car, i hope it isn't in a hard to get to place!

I also noticed the car doesn't really warm up, the temp guage bearly makes it to the first line on the guage, what is the normal operating temp line?

I hope someone could get me some feedback soon, it is cold at 2:30 in the morning when i get off work.
Old 02-02-08, 11:14 AM
dario
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

About the car not warming up have you checked you thermostat???
Old 02-02-08, 12:57 PM
bigdogg49
Rookie

ok, I took the hose off the heater core, and the other end off the heater control valve, i blew through the hose and I think the core might be plugged, should I be able to blow through the hose?
Old 02-02-08, 04:17 PM
SGS
Rookie

My Temp Needle Sits At About Mid Point After About 5 Min. Warming Also I Was Told It Wasnt Good To Let Our Cars Idle To Warm Is That True???
Old 02-02-08, 04:24 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

its bad for the ur gas mileage and stuff but i still do it..ny is cold in the morning.
Old 02-02-08, 08:51 PM
bigdogg49
Rookie

mine don't warm up yet......
Old 02-02-08, 08:56 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

just rub that k-y jelly with heat all over your body
Old 02-03-08, 07:21 AM
LeXusFiTs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by llamaboiz
just rub that k-y jelly with heat all over your body
LOL Best thing to do is warm up you car when it's really cold. If you don't have the time, take it easy on her until it's nice and warm.
Old 02-03-08, 12:30 PM
bigdogg49
Rookie

i can drive hours and it doesn't warm up, i was pulled over to the side of the road on my cell phone, for about 30 min. the temp guage went alost half way, but as soon as i took off, it dropped down all the way down
I used an air compressor and forced air through the heater core, and now i get a little heat, i might get some flush and see if that will loosen anything up in there. after the car had been sitting for a while, and i put everything back together, i started the car up with the rad cap off, it was flowing through right when i started it up, so that tells me there is either a stuck t-stat or no t-stat, now i need to know where the t-stat is, upper rad hose or lower?
Old 12-10-08, 12:48 PM
bigdogg49
Rookie

can anyone tell me where the t stat is?
Old 12-10-08, 09:18 PM
Mikes94GS3
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by bigdogg49
can anyone tell me where the t stat is?
Sure. Follow the lower radiator hose which exits the radiator near the bottom on the passenger side. That hose is about 18" long with a couple of factory bends, at the end of it is the hose clamp attached to the thermostat housing, which meets the engine just a few inches away and around the corner from the water pump. It's held in by two bolts is all, that are kinda angled down on the passenger side of the engine, you don't even need to take the hose clamp off of the housing to change the stat. I didn't have to move anything to get it out of there, just be sure have a pan underneath to catch all of the coolant because it will drain most of your radiator out. Replace stat, refill radiator, bleed system with engine running and heater on high, hopefully you are good to go. It can take awhile to bleed system, up to 20 minutes even. My temp needle sits right in the middle when the car is warm, and only takes a minute or two to start blowing warm air in the morning. I think it's more likely an open thermostat rather than a clogged heater core. Good luck and sorry for my run-on sentences, getting kinda late.
Old 12-12-08, 08:03 AM
bigdogg49
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mikes94GS3
Sure. Follow the lower radiator hose which exits the radiator near the bottom on the passenger side. That hose is about 18" long with a couple of factory bends, at the end of it is the hose clamp attached to the thermostat housing, which meets the engine just a few inches away and around the corner from the water pump. It's held in by two bolts is all, that are kinda angled down on the passenger side of the engine, you don't even need to take the hose clamp off of the housing to change the stat. I didn't have to move anything to get it out of there, just be sure have a pan underneath to catch all of the coolant because it will drain most of your radiator out. Replace stat, refill radiator, bleed system with engine running and heater on high, hopefully you are good to go. It can take awhile to bleed system, up to 20 minutes even. My temp needle sits right in the middle when the car is warm, and only takes a minute or two to start blowing warm air in the morning. I think it's more likely an open thermostat rather than a clogged heater core. Good luck and sorry for my run-on sentences, getting kinda late.
Thanks, been looking all over for a diagram of the cooling system, both hoses look like they could run into a t-stat housing, my luck i would have taken the wrong one off..
Old 12-12-08, 02:40 PM
Mikes94GS3
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bigdogg49
Thanks, been looking all over for a diagram of the cooling system, both hoses look like they could run into a t-stat housing, my luck i would have taken the wrong one off..
bigdogg:
The best diagrams I've found online, which include OEM Lexus Part #'s are on www.sewellpartsonline.com . Click on Engine & Cooling tab, enter your year & model, go to 'radiator & water outlet icon' and there you have it, a diagram with catalog #'s. Also, if you choose to purchase from Sewell which I recommend for their good pricing & service, enter 'SEWELL' in the promotional code at checkout for 10% off your parts total $.
Good luck, Mike
Old 12-13-08, 11:39 AM
bigdogg49
Rookie

thanks Mike, going to check the sight right now!!!
Old 12-16-08, 10:01 AM
Mikes94GS3
Pit Crew

bigdogg:
Have you replaced the thermostat and did that fix your heat?

Quick Reply: no heat, and i'm freezing