GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

1st Generation Flaws

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-08, 05:55 AM
BrooklnLex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yusef
whats with the inspection, why do people get inspections?

lexatlast you got an inspection too right? for what though? like whats the point? to sell the car?

They will do your annual state inspection for about $10 at the Lexus dealership...
Old 03-12-08, 09:03 AM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by yusef
whats with the inspection, why do people get inspections?

lexatlast you got an inspection too right? for what though? like whats the point? to sell the car?
you haven't gotten your car inspected?

its the law. If you get pulled over and you aren't inspected, if i remember correctly they can tow and impound your vehicle because you haven't gotten it checked by your state MV inspection station (or at the very least you'll get a nice large ticket), so they don't know if your car is street legal. Thats why you hear people talking about "smogging" of their car and "not street legal" and whole bunch of other terms.

I'd figure you'd know that yusef, you live in cali, which is notorious for having some seriously annoying inspection passing standards.
Old 03-12-08, 09:36 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexatlast
the reason i thought this was because of this review on consumer auto guide

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...s-gs-300-6.htm

what I was specifically talking about was:

NHTSA Recall History
1993-94: Spherical portions of certain lower ball joints are not smooth, causing friction that can lead to ball joint separation.
1995-97: Due to inadequate lubrication, excessive wear can cause damage to lower ball joints; separation from steering-knuckle arms could occur.

Does this recall mean anything? I don't know what NHTSA stands for, but they point out this lower ball joint inadequacy in every year of the jzs147 body style was made.
Yeah, the recall means something. You should be able to go to a Lexus dealer with your VIN and have them pull the service history from the car's younger days. If the ball joints were replaced under the recall, the service history will reflect that. Mine were done under the recall and I've replaced them again since that time.

Yusef - many states have a required annual or semi-annual safety inspection for all vehicles. Most of the states that require this have more severe weather than we do here in CA and some use salt on the roads to melt ice/snow, so corrosion is more of a concern.

Lexatlast - we only have emissions inspections here in CA and they are required every other year. There is no required vehicle safety inspection.
Old 03-12-08, 04:04 PM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by link13
Yeah, the recall means something. You should be able to go to a Lexus dealer with your VIN and have them pull the service history from the car's younger days. If the ball joints were replaced under the recall, the service history will reflect that. Mine were done under the recall and I've replaced them again since that time.
i'm gonna head to my local dealer reeeal soon to check that VIN then. Everyone else with that problem should go as well. They might get a free replacement.

Yusef - many states have a required annual or semi-annual safety inspection for all vehicles. Most of the states that require this have more severe weather than we do here in CA and some use salt on the roads to melt ice/snow, so corrosion is more of a concern.

Lexatlast - we only have emissions inspections here in CA and they are required every other year. There is no required vehicle safety inspection.
Oh wow, i didn't know that... yeah when i meant notorious i meant your emissions in CA.

well then, just to give any one that doesn't know an idea of our inspections, they go over our car for emissions, corrosion, working lights, decent suspension, the whole nine. If we aren't within the range for anything they fail our cars for inspection and we have 45 days to get it fixed.
Old 03-15-08, 03:51 PM
chewy
Pole Position

texas inspection suck too here in dallas i pay like 50 bucks and if your car don't pass inspection then you have a x amount of days to fix or else they just take it ...but in oklahoma you don't have to get inspection just a registration. lucky lucky
Old 04-12-08, 02:56 AM
dorimon
Driver School Candidate

just found out i have the wet trunk problem!! it looks more like a portable pool then a small wet trunk where the spare is. does anybody know the cause of this?? bad weather stripping perhaps?? or is there a hole that no one knows about
Old 04-12-08, 12:43 PM
2turbo4u
Lexus Test Driver

For all that have wet trunks, try this it might help. Check the drain holes on both side of the trunk and the hose that attached to it and make sure it's completely on. I had a problem with my Volvo once with water inside the trunk and flowed into the car. Reason for the hose wasn't attached to the hole port inside the trunk fender well and the drained into the trunk not outside to the street.
Old 04-12-08, 07:44 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

i'm gonna head to my local dealer reeeal soon to check that VIN then. Everyone else with that problem should go as well. They might get a free replacement.

Oh wow, i didn't know that... yeah when i meant notorious i meant your emissions in CA.

well then, just to give any one that doesn't know an idea of our inspections, they go over our car for emissions, corrosion, working lights, decent suspension, the whole nine. If we aren't within the range for anything they fail our cars for inspection and we have 45 days to get it fixed.
lol wow i just noticed this reply...lol yea we dont have those inspections...just smog checks...but even those i can pass cuz we know people...lol i can drive up there with no cats and 5 inch exhaust and somehow pass...hehe but of course im not...
Old 05-08-08, 01:41 AM
butcher
Driver

Wow...good thing we have this thread.

Now, do we have a thread in knowing how to fix these problems?

I have ALL those faults on my GS, i must have the worse one out there.
The previous owners didnt take care of the car at all! sucks to be me
Old 05-11-08, 05:09 AM
sintox
Driver School Candidate

Let us know if the dealer still replaces the lower ball joint now for a 94-95. I doubt so but just in case
Have a great day.