GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Safety Engine Shutoff?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-08, 08:45 PM
LeXusFiTs
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Abear
What are yall talking about safety feature? I think theres something wrong with yalls cars, lol. I throw my car hard around turns all the time, ALL THE TIME, and I dont mean drifting, just turning, I push it to the limit, slow up when I hear the tires screech, which is rare because of the potenza's, hehe. Seriously though, I can understand the fuel thing, but anything else is just weird. Its not safe to have the car shutoff and not be able to brake or turn in the middle of a turn, so I doubt its a safety feature.
LOL Abear, thanks for speaking on this safety engine shutoff business...Nubs!
Old 02-20-08, 09:35 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeXusFiTs
LOL Abear, thanks for speaking on this safety engine shutoff business...Nubs!
lol well you pros tell me wat it is then...i turned right then quickly turned left and bam it shuts off and everything locks up....wat could it be "pros"
Old 02-21-08, 05:18 AM
LeXusFiTs
Lead Lap

I had this problem with my Acura, it turned out to be bad contacts to my battery...Or maybe your car needs a tune up? When was your last? I am not a pro, I am just saying that it sounds a little crazy that Lexus would make a safety feature like this.
Old 02-21-08, 05:27 AM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, its something with the battery. Ive had it happen before, the stock alternator isnt meant to keep the car running, especially if you have other electronics. It happened to me after I changed to an optima battery, the post were smaller on the optima and the negative cable came lose and the car just shut off, started right back up, but I knew what it was, lol, checked the cable and sure enough it was lose. I turned around, grabbed my moms car and went to autozone and bought some new battery connectors.
Old 02-21-08, 08:43 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What are yall talking about safety feature? I think theres something wrong with yalls cars, lol. I throw my car hard around turns all the time, ALL THE TIME, and I dont mean drifting, just turning, I push it to the limit, slow up when I hear the tires screech, which is rare because of the potenza's, hehe. Seriously though, I can understand the fuel thing, but anything else is just weird. Its not safe to have the car shutoff and not be able to brake or turn in the middle of a turn, so I doubt its a safety feature.
I push my car also. Go out and try to whip a sharp 180 at 25mph and let us know what happens. The brakes and steering do work, you just have to push harder. The saftey feature is to shut off the fuel system in an accident. You dont want the fuel pump running after you hit a tree and split the fuel rail, have fuel dripping on the exhaust manifold and viola...fire. It has happened plenty of times before and thats why auto manufacturers made the inertia fuel safety cutoff switch an industry wide standard.

Originally Posted by LeXusFiTs
I had this problem with my Acura, it turned out to be bad contacts to my battery...Or maybe your car needs a tune up? When was your last? I am not a pro, I am just saying that it sounds a little crazy that Lexus would make a safety feature like this.
Yeah, its something with the battery. Ive had it happen before, the stock alternator isnt meant to keep the car running, especially if you have other electronics. It happened to me after I changed to an optima battery, the post were smaller on the optima and the negative cable came lose and the car just shut off, started right back up, but I knew what it was, lol, checked the cable and sure enough it was lose. I turned around, grabbed my moms car and went to autozone and bought some new battery connectors.
If your car wont stay running without the battery then you have a charging problem.
Old 02-21-08, 09:03 AM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by twojayzee
I push my car also. Go out and try to whip a sharp 180 at 25mph and let us know what happens. The brakes and steering do work, you just have to push harder. The saftey feature is to shut off the fuel system in an accident. You dont want the fuel pump running after you hit a tree and split the fuel rail, have fuel dripping on the exhaust manifold and viola...fire. It has happened plenty of times before and thats why auto manufacturers made the inertia fuel safety cutoff switch an industry wide standard.

If your car wont stay running without the battery then you have a charging problem.
i agree on both points.

I'm not sure how the cutoff works, I just know its there.

your alternator can handle keeping the car running, even with a battery with near to no charge (the whole idea behind jumping a car). Even with a loose terminal your car shouldn't turn off on you at all. If your alternator isn't charging properly though, then that could happen.
Old 02-21-08, 09:05 AM
yusef
Lexus Champion

twojayzee seems like he knows wat he sayin, i was just guessin when i made the title for the thread. its not the battery connectors for sure, and i just had a full tune up bout a month ago. oh so the brakes worked i just had to push hard...damn i was pushin hard as i could haha, thanks though now i know wat it is
Old 02-21-08, 10:13 AM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by twojayzee

Ive done that before, well sorda, kinda turned into a drift because the back wheels broke loose, this was before the potenzas, but the car did not shut off. I would go out and try it right now, but theres no point since its wet and the only thing that would happen would be a pretty neat powerslide, or fishtail.
Im not tryin to disagree with you here, I understand that there is most likely a fuel safety cutoff for when you get in a accident or something, but its never happened to me.
As for the battery. It can happen, doesnt necessarily mean theres something wrong with the charging system, just means there was too much of a draw for the stock alt to keep everything going, 80amps? If you have an amp, its gonna want more than that, so unless you have a cap, then your car will shut off if you take off the negative cable. Mine did, and there was nothing wrong with my alt, just couldnt keep everything running.
I havent tried to see if the alt would keep it running now, but I do have 180amps now, not something I care to find out about.
Originally Posted by yusef
lol well you pros tell me wat it is then...i turned right then quickly turned left and bam it shuts off and everything locks up....wat could it be "pros"
Sounds to me like you were tryin to initiate a drift, but then realized you didnt have it, or you saw that SUV you were talkin about earlier, lol. Im just guessin, but Im probably wrong, haha. Either way, with that scenario, I see the *** end of the GS gettin away from you, unless you are an experienced racer/drifter, I just dont see you holding that car steady, maybe the car thought you were gonna wreck(which you almost did according to you), so it kicked the fuel cutoff to save you, I dont know.
Need epik to post again, he drifts and makes plenty of hard turns, Im interested to see if he knows of any fuel cutoff, besides the engine not getting the fuel because there wasnt any in the tank.
Old 02-21-08, 10:19 AM
yusef
Lexus Champion

^^ lol no see theres this really sharp turn in my neighborhood, and i wanted to see how fast i could take it haha. obviously i cant be goin to fast without something happening and car shutting off.