GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Safety Engine Shutoff?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-08, 10:55 AM
yusef
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safety Engine Shutoff?

A while back i was driving the car hard and i made a sharp turn and lol the engine completely shut off on me, i had gas and temp was ok. but it just shut off, and steering wheel locked up and brakes wouldnt work...which was bad cuz i was slowly rolling towards a parked suv, i had to use foot brake anyone know why? does the car have some sort of safety shutoff...the car started back up fine after it stopped.
Old 02-19-08, 01:02 PM
YupImJOee
Lexus Test Driver

that use to happen to my brothers old car when he made a sharp turn, all the battery fluid would flow to one side and the car would shut off, when he would get straight again he would just turn it back on while rolling
Old 02-19-08, 01:24 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YupImJOee
that use to happen to my brothers old car when he made a sharp turn, all the battery fluid would flow to one side and the car would shut off, when he would get straight again he would just turn it back on while rolling
oh fo real? think an optima would help?
Old 02-19-08, 02:19 PM
YupImJOee
Lexus Test Driver

should help
Old 02-19-08, 05:34 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

low on gas.. fuel sloshed away from the pickup in the tank.
Old 02-19-08, 05:39 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Epik
low on gas.. fuel sloshed away from the pickup in the tank.
im sure you know how to fix that, seeing as how your gonna be drifitng it.
Old 02-19-08, 06:31 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

haha.. yea i had to have a 1/2 tank at events or that would happen. no more problem like that for me. running a fuel cell with foam now.
Old 02-19-08, 06:48 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Epik
haha.. yea i had to have a 1/2 tank at events or that would happen. no more problem like that for me. running a fuel cell with foam now.
how much did that run you? lol i dont really need it cuz i dont drift, but just good to know
Old 02-19-08, 09:10 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

well, i had the 12 gallon cell from another car, so that was free and i just spent over $200 ordering the braided steel fuel line and AN fittings.
Old 02-20-08, 07:35 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by YupImJOee
If you have a good alternator, that battery would have nothing to do with it. So an optima wouldnt help in that respect. I do have a redtop in my car though and I like it.

Originally Posted by yusef
A while back i was driving the car hard and i made a sharp turn and lol the engine completely shut off on me, i had gas and temp was ok. but it just shut off, and steering wheel locked up and brakes wouldnt work...which was bad cuz i was slowly rolling towards a parked suv, i had to use foot brake anyone know why? does the car have some sort of safety shutoff...the car started back up fine after it stopped.
I have whiped the back end around sharp and the saftey cutoff kicked in. Took about 15seconds before it let me start it again. The steering wheel and brakes didnt lock up, but the brakes need vacuum to work well, and the steering is hydraulic so w/o the pump spinning it makes it harder to turn.
Old 02-20-08, 07:46 AM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by twojayzee
I have whiped the back end around sharp and the saftey cutoff kicked in. Took about 15seconds before it let me start it again. The steering wheel and brakes didnt lock up, but the brakes need vacuum to work well, and the steering is hydraulic so w/o the pump spinning it makes it harder to turn.
+1

I've had the safety cutoff kick in but same as twojayzee, my brakes still worked (or i would've rolled into somebody) and while the wheel was hard to turn, it didn't lock. No idea if there is a way to stop it besides not whipping it around turns, but gl
Old 02-20-08, 11:31 AM
yusef
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by twojayzee
If you have a good alternator, that battery would have nothing to do with it. So an optima wouldnt help in that respect. I do have a redtop in my car though and I like it.

ohh so it IS a safety thing in the car? ook i see, i dont do it often i was just bored but yea everything locked up on me, it was weird....kinda scary that the breaks wouldnt work.
Old 02-20-08, 11:58 AM
Skitso-3
Pole Position

Exclamation Similiar prob. but different problem!

My gs3 just cut off while I was on the freeway?and I had to get it towed home! The dash just went out and it just cut off and now
When I try 2 start it...it doesn't even crank! I know I gotta get a new battery but I don't think the battery would stop it from cranking! And I mean it won't crank at...all!turn the key and the lights flash as if its starting....and it doesn't make a sound. I kinda figured it was the alternator. Plez help me out guys!
Old 02-20-08, 02:22 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Skitso-3
My gs3 just cut off while I was on the freeway?and I had to get it towed home! The dash just went out and it just cut off and now
When I try 2 start it...it doesn't even crank! I know I gotta get a new battery but I don't think the battery would stop it from cranking! And I mean it won't crank at...all!turn the key and the lights flash as if its starting....and it doesn't make a sound. I kinda figured it was the alternator. Plez help me out guys!
Thats exactly what it would do if you had a dead battery and a bad alternator
Old 02-20-08, 07:38 PM
Abear
Lexus Test Driver

What are yall talking about safety feature? I think theres something wrong with yalls cars, lol. I throw my car hard around turns all the time, ALL THE TIME, and I dont mean drifting, just turning, I push it to the limit, slow up when I hear the tires screech, which is rare because of the potenza's, hehe. Seriously though, I can understand the fuel thing, but anything else is just weird. Its not safe to have the car shutoff and not be able to brake or turn in the middle of a turn, so I doubt its a safety feature.

Quick Reply: Safety Engine Shutoff?