GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Tein Coilovers - used or new?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-08, 01:33 PM
Lexinton
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Tein Coilovers - used or new?

Need some opinions here on these coilovers since I'm not too sure about what to do.

I have the opportunity to obtain a set of used Tein coilovers from a store. The guy is asking $650 for them. They look good, and don't have any leaks whatsoever. Only problem is I can't find the model number on Tein's website(Tein SuperStreet Damper GBT56-11531 & GBT57-11531 are what are on the coilovers), but they were removed from an imported Aristo (JZS147). They seem legit, but I went on Tein's website and noticed that A lot of people are scamming them, but like I said, these seem legit. Can anyone confirm these product numbers that were on the labels?

Now I've gone to a local car performance store in my area and they said they could get me a new set for $1045, and that they could find me a place that could install them for about $200.

Which is the better deal to go with? Are these something that are better purchased brand new, or are used okay? As well in terms of adjusting the ride height or damping, how does one do that manually? With the wrench? I heard that you can purchase the EDFC to control the damping force? Anyone have experience with this unit? What do you think?

I have to let the guy who has the used ones know by tomorrow afternoon, or he's going to sell them to someone else, so hopefully I will be able to come to a decision.

Thanks!!
Old 03-18-08, 03:42 PM
YupImJOee
Lexus Test Driver

i wish i could find some coilovers for the GS for 650..
Old 03-18-08, 09:21 PM
jasonm
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ebay has some JIC's for $850...they're $2,000 new.
Old 03-19-08, 10:24 AM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

As far as my research from before I purchased my Tein CS coilovers, there were only 3 types of coilovers sold in the USA. The Teins that you are looking at could be the stock tein coilovers that were on the JDM Aristos in which they are green.

I paid over 1200 for my coilovers so if you could find anything under 800, I'd say its a good deal. Just make sure they are in working order as having them rebuilt would be 200-300.00.

If I were you, I'd do it right and purchase brand new so that there is no doubt.

-Tein CS (Comfort Spec)
-JIC SF's (now discontinued)
-JIC FLTA2's (stiff ride even with the adjustment)
Old 03-19-08, 12:17 PM
Lexinton
Driver

Originally Posted by Wald GS
As far as my research from before I purchased my Tein CS coilovers, there were only 3 types of coilovers sold in the USA. The Teins that you are looking at could be the stock tein coilovers that were on the JDM Aristos in which they are green.
Interesting...that would make sense as to why I couldn't find them online. Does that mean though that they are equivalent to the same model line on Tein's website?

Wald GS - and anyone else for that matter...are you running the Tein CS's? How close to stock or superior to the stock ride would you say these are? I'm also considering purchasing larger wheels (currently running 18's but may go 19" which is optimal or 20"), so how drastically would the ride quality suffer?
Old 03-19-08, 02:29 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexinton
Interesting...that would make sense as to why I couldn't find them online. Does that mean though that they are equivalent to the same model line on Tein's website?

Wald GS - and anyone else for that matter...are you running the Tein CS's? How close to stock or superior to the stock ride would you say these are? I'm also considering purchasing larger wheels (currently running 18's but may go 19" which is optimal or 20"), so how drastically would the ride quality suffer?
Lexinton - I have a set of Tein CS and quite frankly, I love them now. I ran into some discomfort and noise issues at first but after some dialing in it was the absolute best choice. I made the progression from L-Tuned shocks and springs to Espliler/KYB, now Tein CS.

I currently have 18's off-set but am moving to 19's, offset (haven't make a call on tires yet but I'm leaning towards PS2). The ride is outstanding but anymore modification to the ride the girlfriend would get upset.

If you take the coilover route I would consider strut tower braces as well, they gave my suspension a higher level of performance and helped the suspension feel more "substantial", almost like everything is more in sync. VERY easy to install (20 minutes). Check with AristoPra, he's installing down selecting and installing coilovers now and might be able to give you feedback.

Regarding used vs. new, I always consider the cost of acquisition against the cost of replacement. If I'm buying some wheels and someone says they have 25K on them, I can visually inspect them make a judgment call knowing that if I have to replace them not that big of a deal. Something like a suspension I would have a hard time buying used because I have no idea how many true real miles they have on them and how hard those miles may have been. The idea of that part failing due to wear is higher thus making my risk higher and I can't replace the coilovers myself, I have to have someone do the work compounding my initial cost.

Hope this helps. If I can be a resource please PM me.
Old 03-20-08, 06:46 AM
Johnjohn13
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No question, buy NEW! I learned that from bad experience and unfortunately from a seller here in CL. Beware of the CS. They cannot be rebuild here in the US and needs to be sent back to Japan. I have a set of used CS that's basically junk as it can't be installed unless I spend another $600 or so to have them rebuild in Japan.
Old 03-20-08, 07:17 AM
GS3.0
Lexus Test Driver

Need some opinions here on these coilovers since I'm not too sure about what to do.

I have the opportunity to obtain a set of used Tein coilovers from a store. The guy is asking $650 for them. They look good, and don't have any leaks whatsoever. Only problem is I can't find the model number on Tein's website(Tein SuperStreet Damper GBT56-11531 & GBT57-11531 are what are on the coilovers), but they were removed from an imported Aristo (JZS147). They seem legit, but I went on Tein's website and noticed that A lot of people are scamming them, but like I said, these seem legit. Can anyone confirm these product numbers that were on the labels?

Now I've gone to a local car performance store in my area and they said they could get me a new set for $1045, and that they could find me a place that could install them for about $200.

Which is the better deal to go with? Are these something that are better purchased brand new, or are used okay? As well in terms of adjusting the ride height or damping, how does one do that manually? With the wrench? I heard that you can purchase the EDFC to control the damping force? Anyone have experience with this unit? What do you think?

I have to let the guy who has the used ones know by tomorrow afternoon, or he's going to sell them to someone else, so hopefully I will be able to come to a decision.

Thanks!!
Are you buying the set being sold from Japanese Performance Engines? If so, they are legit and aren't listed on the Tein USA site b/c they are JDM spec. I inquired about them as well. =)
Old 03-20-08, 10:54 AM
Lexinton
Driver

Originally Posted by ZippyGuy
Lexinton - I have a set of Tein CS and quite frankly, I love them now. I ran into some discomfort and noise issues at first but after some dialing in it was the absolute best choice. I made the progression from L-Tuned shocks and springs to Espliler/KYB, now Tein CS.
Funny you mention about the Espliler/KYB combo because someone on the classified section was selling that and I tried to get them, but they haven't returned a PM...then the Tein set came along...

Originally Posted by GS3.0
Are you buying the set being sold from Japanese Performance Engines? If so, they are legit and aren't listed on the Tein USA site b/c they are JDM spec. I inquired about them as well. =)
Ha ha...yeah, those the ones. The guy said to come in and talk to him, but like I was saying, I don't know which way to go....well that was until ZippyGuy (whom I will PM soon when I decide to get them) and others on this post have persuaded me to go purchasae the new ones.

Thanks guys! That's why you gotta appreciate CL! Quality people - quality responses!
Old 03-20-08, 01:17 PM
LeXusFiTs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jasonm
Ebay has some JIC's for $850...they're $2,000 new.
Before you look at those JIC's you may want to take a look at this thread...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=315050
Old 03-20-08, 01:49 PM
GS3.0
Lexus Test Driver

Since you're local, I'd go check out the set JPE has for sale...the condition looks very decent and you'll definitely save on shipping and duties. The auction hasn't even ended, so you might get a very decent set for under $600...just go pick them up.

Just my 0.02 cents.
Old 03-20-08, 03:19 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

I am currently running Tein CS's and the ride is really smooth even though I ride on the stiffest setting. When I had it on the softest setting, it felt like stock. The larger the wheel, the more of the road you will feel since there is less tire.
Old 03-21-08, 01:40 AM
butcher
Driver

Lexinton

I saw this coilovers on the ebay auction and I was contemplating whether to bid or not.

The condition (according to the pictures) looks very clean and well maintained. Super Street is a model that Tein does carry. Its one step higher than the Tein Basics. But never heard them producing for the GS...but according to Wald GS, its a JDM thingy.

If I were you Id take a look at them personally, you have an advantage because your local. Id say, if they look good and no signs of leakage...get them.

ps: you mentioned you can get a set of coilovers for $1045?! What brand??
Old 03-21-08, 09:34 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

I agree with the rest of the fellaz that say buy new. At least you will have that peace of mind. With s set of used ones, you never really know.
Old 03-21-08, 09:44 AM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

what is the lifespan of a new coilover set?

Quick Reply: Tein Coilovers - used or new?