GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

What coilovers are YOU running? Which drop the lowest?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-08 | 09:39 AM
chewy
Pole Position

man i been lookin for some coilovers also...i was lookin into getting the tien's ct but after i saw how low the megan's can go and he said it rides pretty nice still..jeeezzz thats sweet dude...where did you get your pair from pwindow? and price maybe?
Old 04-17-08 | 06:15 PM
plkyone
Lead Lap

Btw what r u guys doing about the camber adjustment? or am i the only one with a problem?
Old 04-18-08 | 09:43 AM
gs300pnp

Default courious - what about alignment and speedo

With the lowered suspension or those with larger wheels, did you
a) get a realignment done after you lowered the suspension
b) need to adjust your speedo sensor for the larger wheels/tires?

I have D2Coilovers on all four. My car is pretty low, you can just about put a soda pop can on its side and it fits along the running boards.

After I dropped it, the rear camber became negative. However this worked for me because I drag race the car and at times run 28 x9 x 15's in the rears and when I launch, the rear actually levels out.

I also swap tires between 15, 17, 18 and 19's. I havn't done anything with my speedo. This is on my racer. On my daily driver I use the factory 16 then summertime I use 18"s. does seem to change alignment nor affect speedo.

Courious with those who go low plus go with big wheels e.g 20" and 275 x30/35's.

Thx
PnP
Old 04-21-08 | 07:11 PM
bloopy
Driver School Candidate

tein flex! drop is really low...
Old 04-21-08 | 08:49 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by plkyone
Btw what r u guys doing about the camber adjustment? or am i the only one with a problem?
most people do nothing, some people actually want more negative camber to achive "VIP"
Myself, I want close to stock camber. I cut and modified my control arms and lower crossmember.

Originally Posted by gs300pnp
With the lowered suspension or those with larger wheels, did you
a) get a realignment done after you lowered the suspension
b) need to adjust your speedo sensor for the larger wheels/tires?

I have D2Coilovers on all four. My car is pretty low, you can just about put a soda pop can on its side and it fits along the running boards.

After I dropped it, the rear camber became negative. However this worked for me because I drag race the car and at times run 28 x9 x 15's in the rears and when I launch, the rear actually levels out.

I also swap tires between 15, 17, 18 and 19's. I havn't done anything with my speedo. This is on my racer. On my daily driver I use the factory 16 then summertime I use 18"s. does seem to change alignment nor affect speedo.

Courious with those who go low plus go with big wheels e.g 20" and 275 x30/35's.

Thx
PnP
a = yes and b= no the speedo changes are relatively minor for up to 18" wheels. With dubs theres a difference and you would have to calc that into the odometer readings and fuel consumption if you track it like I do. this calculator is excellent for finding out what the speed changes are http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp The site seems to be down right now so try this one http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
The alignment wont change by changes in rim or tire size.

Originally Posted by bloopy
tein flex! drop is really low...
FLEX FTMFW !
Old 04-22-08 | 07:59 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vipguy
just to let u know u should get the exact tire size from looking
up the brand/size/model spec. not the general calculator because
there are tolerances between brands..
like a size 10 reebok vs a size 10 nike.
Agreed, though I think they are negligable.
Old 04-23-08 | 11:18 PM
boostedGS
Lead Lap

looks like I'm gonna go with Megan coilovers just because I don't wanna drop $2100 on JIC's.. unless someone out there is selling a used set thats not tooo used..
Old 04-24-08 | 01:21 AM
status....
Lead Lap

theres a dude on ebay selling some jic's might wanna check it out
Old 04-24-08 | 06:41 AM
LeXusFiTs
Lead Lap

That dood selling those JIC's is a scammer
Old 04-24-08 | 07:28 AM
chewy
Pole Position

i checked on ebay and the megan coil's like 9 bills not to bad... i think ill be getting those soon
Old 04-24-08 | 11:55 AM
wowitztai
Lexus Champion

I love the first gen GS..dumpped with some wheeels...
Old 04-24-08 | 02:32 PM
boostedGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by status....
theres a dude on ebay selling some jic's might wanna check it out
couple weeks ago i talked to some guy with a gold JZS147 on ebay.. he was selling some JICs but he didn't want to ship to US, he's in canada. he said he wanted to keep the parts in canada or something. weird.
Old 04-24-08 | 11:29 PM
butcher
Driver

Originally Posted by boosted86
couple weeks ago i talked to some guy with a gold JZS147 on ebay.. he was selling some JICs but he didn't want to ship to US, he's in canada. he said he wanted to keep the parts in canada or something. weird.

Yeah, I talked to him too...he is actually kinda local to me (he is in the island), selling the set for like $1000 for a JIC-FLT VIP. Seems like its in good condition too, but I opt not to get it due to the rebuilding cost and etc.

IF you ever get the megans, please measure the diameter of the shock as I would like to see what the measurement is so that if I ever go UAS with it, it is possible and not wasted.

thank you!!
Old 04-25-08 | 01:47 AM
boostedGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by butcher
Yeah, I talked to him too...he is actually kinda local to me (he is in the island), selling the set for like $1000 for a JIC-FLT VIP. Seems like its in good condition too, but I opt not to get it due to the rebuilding cost and etc.

IF you ever get the megans, please measure the diameter of the shock as I would like to see what the measurement is so that if I ever go UAS with it, it is possible and not wasted.

thank you!!
I'll let you know for sure. I wonder why he doesn't want to ship it outside of Canada. And I asked my friend about the Megan coilovers because his friend works at Megan Racing, and he said the coilovers for our GS is on back order. So hopefully soon I can get them.. I'll keep you posted.
Old 04-26-08 | 12:51 AM
butcher
Driver

Originally Posted by boosted86
I'll let you know for sure. I wonder why he doesn't want to ship it outside of Canada. And I asked my friend about the Megan coilovers because his friend works at Megan Racing, and he said the coilovers for our GS is on back order. So hopefully soon I can get them.. I'll keep you posted.
I guess its because the seller didn't want to deal with custom forms and etc!

But yeah, if you do get a chance to measure it, let me know..appreciate it very much.

take some pics too!

thanks!

Quick Reply: What coilovers are YOU running? Which drop the lowest?