Search this Thread

Old 04-18-08, 03:36 PM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Negative Camber After the Drop

So guys,

I have a few questions for those that might have answers

Just recently dropped my car on Tanabe DF210's like many others here recently and went to go get an alignment. I know that our suspension is adjustable even though the give is very little which is why I went in the first place. Now, right after dropping I had about 2.5 - 3 degrees of negative camber on each wheel and after my alignment, about 2 degrees on each wheel.

I've searched the forums and know that there are camber bolts available for our rear tires, but no camber kits for the front. Has anyone figured out how to fix negative camber in the front (the posts I read were from 2 years ago)?My questions is, is 2 degrees of negative camber substantial? Should I get the camber bolts for the rear tires and check/update my casters and control arms up front?

The Tanabe's drop our cars about 2 inches. I just want to make sure tire wear isn't EXCESSIVE because without a doubt there will be extra tire wear because of the camber, I just don't wanna replace tires every 3 months.

Thanks,

Rob
Old 04-18-08, 03:57 PM
status....
Lead Lap

i thought that eibach camber kit was for the front and back?

just make shure your toe is in spec cause excessive toe is the killer on tires more than camber is
Old 04-18-08, 09:47 PM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by status....
i thought that eibach camber kit was for the front and back?

just make shure your toe is in spec cause excessive toe is the killer on tires more than camber is
my toe is .07, practically non existent. And the eibach camber kit is rear only. You can check at sfxperformance.com. They sell it there, and it specifies (rear) only.
Old 04-18-08, 10:38 PM
jasonm
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With that degree of negative camber the wear will be EXCESSIVE for sure.
If you drive a lot you may want to consider 16"-18" so you can afford the tire replacement.
Old 04-21-08, 07:49 PM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

really? 2 degrees is enough to really wear them out?

my casters and cross camber are all within -.5 degrees.

I'll invest in the eibach camber bolts for the back, but is there any solution to front camber issues?

Lots of people are dropped on these forums, its hard to believe that so many people have been swapping tires like underwear cause of camber. And mine is only 2"!!
Old 04-21-08, 08:26 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Depends on your tires. When i had my 2GS lowered in TEIN, I had 2.5 degrees negative camber in the rear, never wore my tires out (Nitto 555)
Old 04-21-08, 08:54 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

More than 1.5deg is going to cause signifigant wear on the inner lip of the tire. More important than camber is toe adjustment.

Originally Posted by Lexatlast
really? 2 degrees is enough to really wear them out?

my casters and cross camber are all within -.5 degrees.

I'll invest in the eibach camber bolts for the back, but is there any solution to front camber issues?

Lots of people are dropped on these forums, its hard to believe that so many people have been swapping tires like underwear cause of camber. And mine is only 2"!!
The caster on our car isnt technicaly adjustable, though you can get a minor amount from moving the k-frame, theres no need to do so. Do you mean at all four corners you have -.5 deg camber ?
Old 04-22-08, 07:29 AM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
Depends on your tires. When i had my 2GS lowered in TEIN, I had 2.5 degrees negative camber in the rear, never wore my tires out (Nitto 555)
I have Potenzas... I don't know if they'll last like Nittos would lol

Originally Posted by twojayzee
More than 1.5deg is going to cause signifigant wear on the inner lip of the tire. More important than camber is toe adjustment.

The caster on our car isnt technicaly adjustable, though you can get a minor amount from moving the k-frame, theres no need to do so. Do you mean at all four corners you have -.5 deg camber ?
My toe is .07. At all four corners its -2 degrees.... damn I don't wanna run through tires like water, I just wanted a comfortable drop. grrr. Guess I'll go get those eibach camber bolts.

Originally Posted by vipguy
i have -4.75 degrees of camber in front
and -4.5 in back. its seriously messed up..
i recently had a place bend my control arms
and they were able to get it to -1.0 in front
and give me a standard alignment all around(toe/caster)
for $150.00
Thats what I figured some people would do, but is that structurally safe? Did it affect any other aspects of your suspension or the ride?

but Wow... for 150 I'd do it too...

-------------------------------------
also, anyone have any experience with the rear camber bolts available for our cars?
Old 11-08-08, 09:41 AM
tim8oland
Pole Position

hey guys, i'm having the same issues due to my drop. anyone install those eibach camber bolts?? here's a link to them: http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/EIB581270K.htm

they're pretty cheap. input anyone...??
Old 11-08-08, 10:01 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

The Eibach camber bolts for the rear came with my Eibach Pro kit, but I wonder of there was a packing error because they don't work on the car.

2 degrees up front will cause inside wear on the tires. You can counter this by running more PSI (like 37-38) to crown the tire a little more, but that doesn't seem to do much. You can also flip flop the tires from side to side periodically to extend tire life.

In other news, my brother is on the road now on the way back from SEMA. On his list of people to see was an Australian company that makes camber kits for the 1GS. I'll talk to him and one of us will report findings here.
Old 11-08-08, 01:52 PM
suprawhite
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been running mine without any alignment since I put on my 19" Volk. I was kinda lazy and still wanting to wait until I get a new set of coilover. It's almost 1000 mile since putting it on and I can tell that it is wearing from the inside already. I have Nitto 555 Extreme at the moment and the thought of replacing those suckers freak me out since it is 19". How are the rear camber kit from Eibach? Is there any other solution for the front? I tried to cheat a little by putting lots of air like 40PSI just to crown the tire out a little more but that won't help much.
Old 11-08-08, 06:56 PM
1stGS30
Lead Lap

how do those freakin bolts work for the rear? what do they do that the stock bolts wont do?
Old 11-10-08, 10:01 AM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by link13
The Eibach camber bolts for the rear came with my Eibach Pro kit, but I wonder of there was a packing error because they don't work on the car.

2 degrees up front will cause inside wear on the tires. You can counter this by running more PSI (like 37-38) to crown the tire a little more, but that doesn't seem to do much. You can also flip flop the tires from side to side periodically to extend tire life.

In other news, my brother is on the road now on the way back from SEMA. On his list of people to see was an Australian company that makes camber kits for the 1GS. I'll talk to him and one of us will report findings here.
That would be awesome. My car has like -3 on the fronts and I already flip-flopped the tires; bridgestone Potenzas 235/40/18... and they only lasted me like 5 months.... corny but true: you wannaplay? you gottapay.

My rears are 20's and they have been holding up pretty good. im at 3 months and ready to flip flop them. Keep in mind my car is a daily and I put in about 15 to 30 mi daily. I'm now seriously thinking of adjustable front upper control arms to adjust the suspenion even more... 700 for a part that will potentially make my tires last longer now has become a very reasonable investment.
Old 11-12-08, 09:20 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stGS30
how do those freakin bolts work for the rear? what do they do that the stock bolts wont do?
They are cam bolts. It looks like a cam lobe. The lobe fits thru the stock hole but when the bolt is turned it pushes or pulls the arm in or out.