GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Taillight Indicator?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-08, 06:04 PM
PWidow
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taillight Indicator?

I swapped over to the JDM Aristo taillights this past weekend and now my taillight indicator comes on. I did a search and couldn't really find anything so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction as I'm pretty confused.

I put the Aristo taillights in, the indicator light on the cluster came on so I figured maybe its the bulbs or harness. So then I pulled the bulbs and harness from my stock taillights and swapped them over to the jdm ones. I found out that the US taillights have 3 bulbs on the sides and the jdm ones only had 2. I just tucked away the extra bulb and put everything back in and the indicator still comes back on. Anyone know what could be causing this? I'm basically where I was before I swapped the taillights with my stock harness and bulbs in...
Old 05-01-08, 05:08 PM
PWidow
Pole Position

Hmm, no one else has experienced this problem?

What's really weird is that the other day I drove to and from work and the light never came on but today when I went to lunch and drove home it came back on. If it was a loose connection wouldn't it stay on all the time? I'm really confused now.
Old 05-01-08, 05:50 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Which one is the indicator ? your not talking about the brake lamp are you. Brake fluid would cause an intermitant lamp if thats the one your talking about.
Old 05-01-08, 09:44 PM
threenine
Driver School Candidate

One of the lamps in the right taillight comes on when it feels like it...I've been wondering what the problem is. Not sure if it's a short or the bulb...but brake fluid? Please explain...
Old 05-01-08, 09:45 PM
monkiwrnch
Driver

make sure all your bulbs are working fine, no sign of burnt filament this would make your indicator lamp go on too,if the filament is burn and would lose contact when it get hot,make sure the wire harness is good no cuts or grounding to the body.if youve replace the bulbs with new ones. then ill go check on the wire harness.
Old 05-04-08, 01:24 PM
PWidow
Pole Position

OK, I just checked and double checked all the bulbs and harness. All of them are fine and no signs of burnt filament. Even checked the dual filaments for the brake bulbs and they were fine. Also for the heck of it, checked the brake fluid and it was fine too.
Old 05-04-08, 08:48 PM
monkiwrnch
Driver

check your wire harness near the trunk hinges make sure no wire is cut. try pulling on the wire individually.they might look ok but it might have a broken wire from the inside. this is common thing ive always seen at work. mostly camrys and avalon. you gs might have the same problem.
Old 05-04-08, 09:06 PM
pingpong89
Pole Position

i had the same problem too. i used the u.s. harness and tucked away that extra bulb (still plugged in). when i changed a burnt out bulb with one of the jdm bulbs, thats when the dash indicator light came on. so, i looked at the wattage rating on the jdm bulbs and they were less than the u.s. ones. then i went and replaced the bulb with ones from kragen and haven't had a problem with the warning light coming on again. try checking the bulbs and making sure they have the same wattage from stock bulbs.