GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Finally found a clean one after a year of searching!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-08, 12:38 PM
Dan@FSM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally found a clean one after a year of searching!

Been looking for a clean 1g for about a year now. I can't even stress how much time I wasted on the road looking at different cars, emails wasted, minutes burned on the phone.
Just happened to be going on vacation down to OBX, NC and googled a GS300 search on good ol' craiglist and found this.....emailed quickly within 2 hours of it being posted and stayed in contact for over 2 weeks before I arranged pickup. Only went 5 hours out of my way to get it, not bad considering all the time I spent in the past year looking
Anyhow, it had to be towed so I borrowed a truck and open wheel trailer to get it home.
Its a 96 with blown trans ......I know, Im feeling the pain trying to locate an A350E. Front drivers leather is surprisingly good but the stitch is split....typical. Other than that the car is pristine. No typical GS problems like the cupholder, spare well pond, even the gauge cluster is perfect with the exception of a dim bar ont he tach needle and a problem wth he seat rails. Originally a Texas car so no rust anywhere. Does'nt have the heated since its a southern car but does have the heated mirrors. No nakamichi, chrome wheels or TRAC, which I dont care for any of since this will b a project car making 500+ on hopefully a R154 5 spd or possibly a GM T56 6spd custom swap.
Anyways, on to the pix!

Old 05-28-08, 01:50 PM
Triple C
Lead Lap

It look sreal Clean ------
I also like the custom SEats wher did you get those
Old 05-28-08, 01:57 PM
BKzSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

nice pic up!! keep us posted on that project!!
Old 05-28-08, 02:42 PM
wowitztai
Lexus Champion

she is really clean.. hope to see wat she'll look like later.
Old 05-28-08, 03:09 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats
Old 05-28-08, 08:04 PM
jasonm
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's always good to get a car with a good body and good paint. Saves you a ton of money. If you don't mind, how much did you pick it up for? and why did it take so long to find a good one, Is it because of the climate issues?
Old 05-28-08, 08:27 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

very nice

how much is that red supra in the backround
Old 05-29-08, 11:30 AM
Dan@FSM
Driver

Originally Posted by jasonm
It's always good to get a car with a good body and good paint. Saves you a ton of money. If you don't mind, how much did you pick it up for? and why did it take so long to find a good one, Is it because of the climate issues?
I picked it up for $2000
Took so long just to find one in nice condition body wise. Being the owner of First State Motorsports I can do everything possible to it except body work. Every other car I looked at had some type of body damage or was just a rag overall, and the nice ones were overpriced. Also wanted grey interior, Im not really feelin' the tan and overall wanted either black or white exterior.....so that really narrows down my search making it hard to find what I wanted.

Originally Posted by yusef
very nice

how much is that red supra in the backround
Hehe. Thats a customers car, NA actually. Here to get our custom intake manifold and soon to have a turbo kit with EMS installed as well
Old 05-29-08, 12:43 PM
status....
Lead Lap

looks like patience paid off as it looks super clean. reminds me kinda of myself when i was looking for one as i wanted the white 2 tone or black with grey leather.

is this car gonna be na-t?
Old 05-29-08, 01:04 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

looks really clean, good find
Old 05-29-08, 11:37 PM
Dan@FSM
Driver

Originally Posted by status....
looks like patience paid off as it looks super clean. reminds me kinda of myself when i was looking for one as i wanted the white 2 tone or black with grey leather.

is this car gonna be na-t?
Car will definitely be NA/T. I will be using our custom proven intake manifold which converts it to a forward facing throttle body, TT supra style. This manifold helped us acheive the stock long block hp record of 700.1 whp in our old SC300 using a 140k mile junkyard longblock with supra head gasket and arp studs only! This will make room for a larger turbo and ease of intercooler piping fabrication along with having a no-headache way of changing the #3 & 4 plugs.
Just sold my daily driver civic today so that is gonna fund my auto to stick conversion with the hopes of using a Borg Warner T56 6 spd out of either a Viper or camaro/trans am. If that goes as planned we"ll more than likely begin marketing a conversion kit using an adapter plate which will be great for the guy who wants a semi strong 6 spd and cant afford the $2500+ price tag of the Supra V160 trans. Typically the T56's can be had for under $1000.
I'll be sure to keep everyone updated on the project with the first being the trans which I'll get to work on almost immediately
Old 05-30-08, 07:39 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan@FSM
using a Borg Warner T56 6 spd ...
Let us know if that pans out. Theres been alot of discussion on that amongst myself and others on a few different forums. Theres a company that already makes an adapter for the T-5. I was looking at doing either a TKO600 or 900 but I think I may go with a 4L80e auto
Old 05-30-08, 09:03 AM
dario
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan@FSM
Been looking for a clean 1g for about a year now. I can't even stress how much time I wasted on the road looking at different cars, emails wasted, minutes burned on the phone.
Just happened to be going on vacation down to OBX, NC and googled a GS300 search on good ol' craiglist and found this.....emailed quickly within 2 hours of it being posted and stayed in contact for over 2 weeks before I arranged pickup. Only went 5 hours out of my way to get it, not bad considering all the time I spent in the past year looking
Anyhow, it had to be towed so I borrowed a truck and open wheel trailer to get it home.
Its a 96 with blown trans ......I know, Im feeling the pain trying to locate an A350E. Front drivers leather is surprisingly good but the stitch is split....typical. Other than that the car is pristine. No typical GS problems like the cupholder, spare well pond, even the gauge cluster is perfect with the exception of a dim bar ont he tach needle and a problem wth he seat rails. Originally a Texas car so no rust anywhere. Does'nt have the heated since its a southern car but does have the heated mirrors. No nakamichi, chrome wheels or TRAC, which I dont care for any of since this will b a project car making 500+ on hopefully a R154 5 spd or possibly a GM T56 6spd custom swap.
Anyways, on to the pix!

So basically you were looking all year for a car with a blown trans to fix it not a clean low mileage car????
Old 05-30-08, 09:17 AM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dario
So basically you were looking all year for a car with a blown trans to fix it not a clean low mileage car????
Yea that about covers it. He got the car so cheap, he can afford to do the manual swap that he wants among other things and still come out ahead.
Old 05-30-08, 11:07 AM
Dan@FSM
Driver

Originally Posted by twojayzee
Yea that about covers it. He got the car so cheap, he can afford to do the manual swap that he wants among other things and still come out ahead.

I dont know what is meant by low mileage, but 12.8k miles a year isn't too out of the ordinary if you ask me. I wont be driving the GS too much since this is my other car and it's quite a bit more fun to drive....I just wanted this to give my nerves a rest when I get out of the civic 9xx whp!

Quick Reply: Finally found a clean one after a year of searching!