GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Starter issues....

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-08 | 09:07 AM
7Cain
Driver

Default Starter issues....

Alright ladies and gentleman, let me first apologize if this has been covered before but I used the search feature and could not find anything. I know many of you have replaced the starter at some point.

First let me start with some background symptoms. For some time now, I'd say about a year I would have mornings where the starting system would just click. I could clearly hear the starter pinion engaging the flywheel but not turn it as if the battery where dead. However I discovered that within 10 attempts it would start, and do so with a fair amount of reliability. That went on for about a year until finally it just didn't start. I ordered a new starter, and am now faced with the task of replacing it with basic hand tools.

Will I need to remove the upper/lower intake manifold to get to the back of the bolts that are between the case and firewall? I tried to go from underneath for the bottom bolt but did not have enough room to turn a wrench. If anyone has some insight to this procedure I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance and it's good to be back.

Maximum Respect,
Cain
Old 06-29-08 | 01:14 PM
bigdogg49
Rookie

Talking starter

i used a long....LONG 3/8 drive extension, it worked good
Old 06-30-08 | 07:50 AM
7Cain
Driver

Originally Posted by bigdogg49
i used a long....LONG 3/8 drive extension, it worked good
I take it you went from underneath the car then? Did you have to remove anything to get to the bolts? Am I to assume you used a swivel head socket? How did you get the clearance to mount the socket to the bolts? and did you use the same extension to loosen the top starter bolt? Thanks for the reply, I can't wait to get this done, it's been over a month since the car has been running.

Maximum Respect,
Cain
Old 07-16-08 | 01:05 PM
7Cain
Driver

Okay I finally got it! Wholey crap that was a pain. I ended up using a really long extension (actually, several extensions put together. It was all I had) and a universal joint with a 14mm socket. The top bolt was seized and required several applications of a penatrant like PB nut and bolt buster (I used DW also, so who knows which one did the trick). It had to come out through the bottom between the tranny and lower control arm and some lines needed to be moved out of the way. Putting it back on is easier than taking it off because you don't have to break any nuts loose, just make sure you get them tight.

Oh, and on a side note. When tightening the bolts do them in stages, first the top gets a few turns then the bottom. If you screw one in all the way you may not be able to get a socket on the other.

So the starter is working great and after more than three months without a car I finally have the pleasure of driving it only to find out that it's time to replace the alternator (which I did 2 years ago) this time I am going to keep it denso.
Old 07-18-08 | 10:35 AM
Kudos
Driver School Candidate

Wow...how timely to read this post.

For the last 3 weeks my GS has been doing the same trick...6/10 times it just clicks when turning the key. After turning the key a number of times it catches and starts...kinda like hitting 'triple sevens' on a slot machine.

The strange thing is, i am noticing a pattern; or it could be all in my head.

This only happens in the morning, the rest of the day it's fine. The other weird thing is it only happens in my underground and not at my woman's place on weekends when i park it outside. Maybe the last point i am just trippin. Still, i am having fun trying to figure out the starter riddle, it's like cracking an encrypted code...for now.

ps-this morning it started no prob. (jackpot)
Old 11-25-08 | 12:37 PM
BRAKATK
Driver

Default hard to start (sometimes) in the morning

After 12 years of ownership, I have the same issue: does not start right away in the mornings. I wonder if its the ignition switch being worn, or battery being weak after a cold night, not the starter itself. Any suggestions to diagnose? My battery is a Die Hard Gold that I installed in 2004.