GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Over Heating Problem - Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-08, 03:33 PM
Triple C
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over Heating Problem - Please Help

Hey everyone. I just got back from a big trip accross a couple states. My Car will Not stop overheating when it gets up to driving temp and speed. It happens about an 2 hours into a trip with my temp going up steadlly. I have a new radiator, water Pump, radiator cap,Thermostat, and just added a Fan clutch In the middle of the trip. What the FFFF. I keep fixing things and it seems to get better for a while then goes back to getting real hot.
I started the Trip By trying to keep up with my Brother in His Turbo Subaru but the engine started to get hot when we drove at around 125 MPH for about 15 Minutes. So thinking i just drove the **** out of it for too long i Naturally slowed it down to around 75 - 80 and it kept getting hot. I pulled it over and let her cool down for about 45 Minutes then checked the radiator to find the inside of the Radiator cap broken. So i replace , Welp the damn thing keeps getting hot and i can here my Resivoir tank starting to Boil the Fluid out before it can cycle back through and cool the engine. after this i am not sure what to do so thinking i am in the market for a turbo Upgrade i gladlly get her back on the road to see it stay a little hot but if i keep it at 84 MPH it stays cool but if i go faster it gets hot and if i go slower it gets hot. So i press on down the road at around 80 and things are ok. Welll so i work all week and go to drive her home and it starts doing it again!!!! this is after i change out my fan clutch which might i add was not helping the cooling system but evidently was not the direct problem. I drove all the way back home which was another 600 miles with the windows down and heat on and it stayed cooler. PLEASE HELP ME and suggestions???????????
Old 06-30-08, 05:39 PM
vindedreal
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something similar to this happened to me, It turned out my radiator had a hole in it somewhere, You should check that, Also take it to a mechanic to see if it was installed correctly, and make sure the piping from the radiator to the coolant does not need to be replaces( this was my problem, the piping). If you feel like your losing HP, it could be something with the engine block, like a cracked head
Old 06-30-08, 07:41 PM
Kaiser
Racer

Perhaps you have a pressure leak somewhere so the coolant is not circulating.
Old 07-01-08, 07:54 AM
Triple C
Lead Lap

I am going to do a leakdown test to see if i have a blown Head Gasket. I have no Leaks, Simply put the damn thing just is not getting cool enough. If i get electric fans i think it will help cool the system but i want to make sure it is not a head gasket before i make the purchase.

Until then I will Run the Crap out of it, and hopefully be close to home when she breaks. I am starting to become unpatiant for the turbo swap but until then the NA will have to do.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will check to see if it is not maintaining pressure in the cooling system when i do the leakdown test on my block.

I was the person who installed everything but the Fan Clutch. so i am sure that everything else was installed correctly. and i dont think it was to difficult for the repair place to take the 4 bolts out of the fan clutch and change it.
I will post any findings asap
Old 07-01-08, 03:16 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

How many miles does your car have?
Old 07-08-08, 03:58 PM
Triple C
Lead Lap

160,000. Miles
Old 07-08-08, 10:16 PM
turbochris
Driver

Originally Posted by Triple C
160,000. Miles

Triple C

Here is a link to a little upgrade i did with my sc300 a while back. I wasnt having overheating problems but being in Texas i wanted to make sure that everything was going to be ok. There are pictures. I sold that car and i am about to do the same upgrade to my turbo gs300 because on days its over 100 degree's i have to keep a eye on the gauge. This is only when i am running the A/C and only if its 100 or hotter outside. I do have a aluminum radiator and already purchased the "1991 Stanza fans" from the yard. The radiator was 160 shipped and the fans were 30 bucks. I think i will do the install in a few days when i get time. I highly recommend doing this because you will pick up a few HP by going electric fans and cool the motor down better. Its a win win situation.

thanks
chris w

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=288108
Old 09-15-08, 11:27 AM
Chaos2015
Driver School Candidate

where did you get the aluminum radiator from??
Old 09-17-08, 11:49 PM
turbochris
Driver

Originally Posted by Chaos2015
where did you get the aluminum radiator from??
i got it on ebay. I couldnt find the place i got it from....but i do remember paying about $160 shipped.

search on ebay and you will find several of them. Mines been great.

chris w
Old 09-18-08, 07:56 AM
Triple C
Lead Lap

Default Update

My car has been running like a dream since i went on the trip. I have made a few more journeys for 5 Hour plaus driving and have had no issues. Still cant wait for the turbo Upgrade but i will keep in mind the Swap to the dual fans. I also wondered about a optional oil cooler, I am sure i will want to have something when i get the GTE swap to help keep the life of the engine and the turbo's. do you know of anything???? and how much were the fans that you got and is it a direct plug in or will i have to fit them together.

TBH i am not sure what the frekin problem was with the overheating i never got the leakdown test. But since the change of fan it progressed to be just fine.