GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Tanabe springs DF 210....TD077

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-08 | 02:45 PM
horny300
Rookie

Default Tanabe springs DF 210....TD077

Hey guys, I wanted to lower my car for better handling and I found some Tanabe springs on Ebay, here is the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-97...5329QQtcZphoto

I really don't want a jumpy ride but tight and stiff handling. I know that I am not spending a lot of money for what I am asking for but this is all I have right now so what do you guys think about it? Any other springs for this price from a respectable company? Please help.

Oh yeah its a 95GS300. Thanks

Last edited by horny300; 07-26-08 at 03:34 PM. Reason: add the year
Old 07-26-08 | 03:55 PM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 100000

i have the tanabes. If you want something "not jumpy" I wouldn't get these. Tanabes are a soft ride, not stiff at all in my opinion.
Old 07-26-08 | 04:24 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

yea i got the same springs too, its muuuuuuuuuch better then stock so i say go for it.

but for that price i wouldnt get it, you can find them cheaper. like here

http://luxurymods.com/index.asp?Page...ROD&ProdID=392

im not sure how much shipping is, but its still gonna save you like 30 bucks or so.

and hey lex, the ride is soft? mines pretty stiff and i still got the oem shocks. not suuuuper stiff like on coils, but still stiff
Old 07-26-08 | 05:29 PM
horny300
Rookie

thanks for the replies guys, and yusuf thanks for the website, It is definetely cheaper. I wanted to go with the coils but don't have that much money so tanabe springs it is Btw should I worry about the alignment after a certain time or do I have to make any other mods after putting in the springs?
Old 07-26-08 | 08:21 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by horny300
thanks for the replies guys, and yusuf thanks for the website, It is definetely cheaper. I wanted to go with the coils but don't have that much money so tanabe springs it is Btw should I worry about the alignment after a certain time or do I have to make any other mods after putting in the springs?
no prob and yea i couldnt afford coils too thats why i went with springs.

i never got an alignment and its been good so far, im not 100% sure but i dont think you would need an alignment.

and no you dont need any other mods. most people get aftermarket shocks as well, i personally am still running the oem shocks with these springs, and its been fine.
Old 07-27-08 | 06:43 AM
George.S.
Rookie

this link may help if your lookin for a lower price

http://www.jazzproparts.com/product_p/tdf077.htm
Old 07-27-08 | 09:34 AM
Skitso-3
Pole Position

Question

I about to get some tanabe springs and today actually right now im with my wife in her 99 cougar and I got my 3 little brothers with us and her tires are rubbing and it looks like she's lowered so how many ppl can u guys ride with since your already lowered? I never really thought about this until now and her car's lighter! Just somethin 2 think about b4 lowering u kno!
Old 07-27-08 | 11:26 AM
yusef
Lexus Champion

^^ well i would think since the springs are much stiffer then stock it would be able to take the extra weight of other people without sagging. ive never had more then one person in my car since i got the springs cuz the cars always been in the shop, so i cant say i know that from personal experience.
Old 07-27-08 | 02:39 PM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 100000

i've had 5 grown men (including myself) in my car with the tanabes and i had no rubbing issues.
Old 08-19-08 | 06:48 AM
jlcelestin
Driver School Candidate

So the tanabes are a 'soft' ride? lowering looks good and all, but my priority is getting something that is going to provide a smooth ride and absorb the road. Would tanabes provide that as well?
Old 08-19-08 | 08:47 AM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 100000

^^
absolutely.

I was surprised how close to stock it felt, with the added benefits of it being able to handle better and not feel like you're driving a boat

i also have the kyb gr2 shocks though, so i don't know the difference between stock and just springs.
Old 08-19-08 | 09:00 AM
redjones
Driver School Candidate

has camber/uneven tire wear been an issue with the spring?
Old 08-19-08 | 09:13 AM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 100000

Well first off I suggest getting an alignment done as soon as possible after putting on lowering springs because you camber will be between -2 or -3 degrees per wheel. After an alignment you should be between -1 or -2 degrees per wheel.

Excessive wear due to camber has not been a problem, but unfortunately, they don't make camber kits for our cars besides camber bolts for the rear. At -1 degrees camber you won't get crazy excessive inside tire wear. At -2, You'll get wear eventually but not for a while. Anything past that, and you'll need to flip your tires every 10,000 miles, and get new ones every 20,000ish.

I have abot -2 degrees on all my tires, but no increased wear I can tell as of yet (only driven 5,000 miles with them though).

At the end of the day though, it is sooooooooo worth it. Get some springs.
Old 08-19-08 | 12:27 PM
jlcelestin
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexatlast
^^
absolutely.

I was surprised how close to stock it felt, with the added benefits of it being able to handle better and not feel like you're driving a boat

i also have the kyb gr2 shocks though, so i don't know the difference between stock and just springs.

Thanks man, i was going to get the tanabe/kyb setup myself. thanks for the info about the alignment too..
Old 08-19-08 | 07:06 PM
Jewel707
Pole Position

I have asked many people this question but i like to get plenty of answers before i do it, but, has anyone lowered their cars with the tanabes on 20" rims? Thanks in advance and thanks for the links!