GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Special features about the 1st gen.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-08, 12:20 PM
Lex11
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Special features about the 1st gen.

Hey guys-

I was wondering are there any special features about the 1st gens? Considering the latest of them is still over 10 yrs. old i was wondering is it just like driving a camry or are there still things that are special about it?

Its still a Lexus so im thinking maybe there are some things that im missing.

What makes you all love your gs3 so much?

Thanks,
Old 09-01-08, 06:00 PM
status....
Lead Lap

idk how you can compare it to a camry, the gs is on a whole nother level.
Old 09-01-08, 08:50 PM
Lex11
Rookie

Originally Posted by status....
idk how you can compare it to a camry, the gs is on a whole nother level.
What i should have said is, Considering some of you have driven a newr camry like the 07-08 models, would the 1st gen gs still seem more luxurious? The newer camrys are pretty darn nice in my opinion.
Old 09-01-08, 09:48 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

i would say almost any new car would be more luxurious then another car thats over 10 years old.

but have you driven a 1st gen gs?
Old 09-01-08, 09:53 PM
Lex11
Rookie

Originally Posted by yusef
i would say almost any new car would be more luxurious then another car thats over 10 years old.

but have you driven a 1st gen gs?
Not yet. And i hear ya on the over 10 years old.
Old 09-02-08, 07:29 AM
SNFL
Driver

New camry or a 93 GS, i would take the GS, its a solid feeling car with more potential than a Camry, IMHO!
Old 09-02-08, 07:52 AM
dario
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SNFL
New camry or a 93 GS, i would take the GS, its a solid feeling car with more potential than a Camry, IMHO!
All right
Old 09-02-08, 10:07 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

The 1GS is smooth and quiet. I have always liked mine, but the leather is not as soft as that in the newer Camry. The gas mileage in the GS is arguably worse than that of the V6 Camry. The GS is slower. In fact, my brother's V6 Honda Odyssey will run rings around my GS. That said, I still love the car for what it is. It is smooth and reliable. It is somewhat rare and the body style is a work of art in my opinion. On top of that, the car has been paid off for a long time. I only drive it about 60-70 miles a week now and I would have to be a fool to get into a car payment when I only use the car that much.
Old 09-02-08, 11:17 AM
YupImJOee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by link13
The 1GS is smooth and quiet. I have always liked mine, but the leather is not as soft as that in the newer Camry. The gas mileage in the GS is arguably worse than that of the V6 Camry. The GS is slower. In fact, my brother's V6 Honda Odyssey will run rings around my GS. That said, I still love the car for what it is. It is smooth and reliable. It is somewhat rare and the body style is a work of art in my opinion. On top of that, the car has been paid off for a long time. I only drive it about 60-70 miles a week now and I would have to be a fool to get into a car payment when I only use the car that much.

mine is loud, creaks, squeaks, rattles, interior is crapped out, motor sounds like its going ot die. slow as ****, ****ty gas milage, but its a soldier.
Old 09-02-08, 11:31 AM
SNFL
Driver

Originally Posted by YupImJOee
mine is loud, creaks, squeaks, rattles, interior is crapped out, motor sounds like its going ot die. slow as ****, ****ty gas milage, but its a soldier.
All i hear is a little birdie saying "2...j...z...g...t...e..."
Old 09-02-08, 11:36 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by YupImJOee

I remember your car from the President's Day meet and didn't notice any of those things you list. I wonder if the sound from the engine is the crankshaft pulley going south. Mine crapped out this year. The car was idling rough and started making some pretty awful sounds. I had the crankshaft pulley, serpentine belt, and idler bearing replaced. Now, it's back to smooth city.
Old 09-02-08, 12:08 PM
SNFL
Driver

I remember your car from the President's Day meet and didn't notice any of those things you list. I wonder if the sound from the engine is the crankshaft pulley going south. Mine crapped out this year. The car was idling rough and started making some pretty awful sounds. I had the crankshaft pulley, serpentine belt, and idler bearing replaced. Now, it's back to smooth city.

Out of curiosity did it shake and make a whining noise? mine is doing that and also when i turn the wheel it dies most the time at idle, any of that sound familiar? i was wondering if it was a pulley
Old 09-02-08, 03:36 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Yes, that's sounds very familiar. You should have it looked at or tear into it if you're a DIY guy. The pulley going south causes the serpentine belt to get some sideways force on it and that goes all to hell. It probably will take the idler bearing along with it.
Old 09-02-08, 08:00 PM
Dan@FSM
Driver

Yes, that's sounds very familiar. You should have it looked at or tear into it if you're a DIY guy. The pulley going south causes the serpentine belt to get some sideways force on it and that goes all to hell. It probably will take the idler bearing along with it.
This is a common problem on all the GE motors. Actually, I've replaced motors that blew up because of this. So if your's is faulty, its a good idea to replace the pulley since its a good bit cheaper than an entire motor. All in all these motors are friggin' bullet proof if maintained properly.
I haven't had a chance to enjoy mine yet since Im in the middle of a slow moving V160 swap. Will be using a custom 1 piece aluminum drive shaft. I have a TRD LSD for it. I've already did the LED upgrade for the gauges, heater control, courtesy lights, license plate. Picked up some Lowenhart's for it in a staggered package. Picked up JDM window visors. Spent some time reconditioning the leather, which helped actually....not bad for an off the shelf spray. But Im really looking forward to driving mine. I'll be putting on our intake manifold setup on it along with a 61mm turbo setup with aspirations of 450whp. I love the car, but it just sits for the time being
Old 09-02-08, 09:47 PM
Skitso-3
Pole Position

Default btw

Imo I depends on your intentions! I got mine bcause its rare, rear wheel, luxurious, spacious, and even tho I have a 2jzge it has potential for n/a T , or a 2jzgte swap, im at 200,000 and runnin strong,the body's a headturner especially once modded, parts are getting cheaper, and I've saw some that you wouldn't even kno was a gs in the streets! Like I said it depends on what your trying to do?

Quick Reply: Special features about the 1st gen.