GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Need GS300/ Toyota experts... very odd problem with car not starting. $$ prize.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-08, 05:37 PM
Kruso
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need GS300/ Toyota experts... very odd problem with car not starting. $$ prize.

Alright so I don't mislead any of you fine individuals the prize is only $20 so it wont be enough to put your kid through school Maybe enough for a six pack or two

Here are the cliff notes.

I am very well versed with the 2J engines and have owned/ trouble shot nothing but Toyotas for decade plus.
Car will not start.
Both fuel pressure and spark seems to be present.
1994 GS300 w/ 270k miles but maintained from day one (mint as can be for 94).
No CEL, ECU does not populate any codes.
Car starts for a few mins when left alone for a few hrs but briefly.
Car just dies as if you've hit fuel cut in middle of driving.
No chops in wiring harness anywhere.

Definite Curprit:
There is a VERY apparent crackling noise that is occurs after the car dies only while the ignition is in the ON position. Appears to be VERY random and best way to describe is egg shells being crushed (not the typical ticks you hear after you shut a Toyota engine). The sound is coming from right where the EGR meets manifold/ injectors area. The only thing that I can conclude based on experience is that something is causing the injectors to go haywire producing that noise. Next step is verify if the injectors are not firing.

Things performed:
Changed distributor and cap.
Verified and reinforced ground to engine.
Verified timing.

Help/ guidance is much appreciated, but I'd imagine such an odd ball of an issue could only addressed by someone who's had this issue before.

Kruso
Old 09-03-08, 06:57 PM
Kaiser
Racer

Kruso - First thing that comes to mind is pull the cat back down and try to run it. Sounds like the cat could be clogged.
Old 09-03-08, 07:40 PM
2turbo4u
Lexus Test Driver

Check your ecu, maybe leaking capacitors
Old 09-03-08, 09:44 PM
monkiwrnch
Driver

hows the EGR valve operation? make sure its not getting stuck. and the passage are not full of carbon deposits.
Old 09-04-08, 08:16 AM
Kruso
Driver

Guys thanks for the response. Kaiser the cats are definitely good, had them replaced but also the car shuts down as if it hit fuel cut, not a slow death (most likely electrical). Monkeywrnch- dont think the problem is the EGR as I've run several of my other 2J's with it blocked. 2turbo4u I think the issue might actually be the ECU this time.

I got to tinkering around the car this morning and the clicking/crackling noise is definitely coming from the injectors. Again, very apparent and the vibration from an individual injector goes away once unplugged. I have never had a Toyota ECU fail on me, everytime a false alarm. I think on the NA's the injectors are controlled by the ECU directly. Does anyone have any other suggestions before I replace the ECU.

Kruso
Old 09-04-08, 08:47 AM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kruso
Guys thanks for the response. Kaiser the cats are definitely good, had them replaced but also the car shuts down as if it hit fuel cut, not a slow death (most likely electrical). Monkeywrnch- dont think the problem is the EGR as I've run several of my other 2J's with it blocked. 2turbo4u I think the issue might actually be the ECU this time.

I got to tinkering around the car this morning and the clicking/crackling noise is definitely coming from the injectors. Again, very apparent and the vibration from an individual injector goes away once unplugged. I have never had a Toyota ECU fail on me, everytime a false alarm. I think on the NA's the injectors are controlled by the ECU directly. Does anyone have any other suggestions before I replace the ECU.

Kruso
Well I've never had your specific problem but I have had a faulty ECU in this car before. My problem wasn't the injectors, but my transmission and the ECU was not sending signals to specific solenoids so it wouldn't shift out of 3rd gear. The ECU didn't throw any codes or anything so we ended up doing everything EXCEPT the ECU (i mean everything, changed the transmission, checked all wiring, etc.).

So yeah, while i didn't have your problem, just thought i'd chime in and let you know that they fail and when mine failed, it didn't throw codes like yours.
Old 09-04-08, 09:04 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Also, check for a cracked exhaust manifold.

Usually the forward "three" part of the manifold cracks- you may
need to remove the heat shield and/or use a mirror to check the
under side of the manifold. Cracked manifolds can make engines
do some strange things... burn valves, blow head gaskets, etc...
Old 09-04-08, 09:46 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
Also, check for a cracked exhaust manifold.

Usually the forward "three" part of the manifold cracks- you may
need to remove the heat shield and/or use a mirror to check the
under side of the manifold. Cracked manifolds can make engines
do some strange things... burn valves, blow head gaskets, etc...
Crap. That reminds me that I've got some parts shopping to do.
Old 09-04-08, 07:28 PM
Junk
Rookie

i have had multiple ecu's fail on gs300 and sc300. what happens is the injectors will stay wide open. i have even had them hydro lock engines with fuel. also you can swap to test an sc300 ecu in the car (even a 5 speed ecu) the ac will not work but it will run the car. i have also seen latley the fuel pump will not work on low speed. but ecu is common. yes, toyota ecu's go bad. i keep a spare in my supra and gs300.
Old 11-02-10, 04:00 PM
Kruso
Driver

Someone with this problem contacted me regarding this problem and its resolution. For anyone else that might come across this thread... the issue was in fact ECU failure. Apparently very common issue on the GS300 from talking to an ECU repair shop.

Kruso
Old 11-04-10, 12:43 AM
vipman806
Pole Position

Dang I'm starting to get paranoid since my transmission's been slipping every now and then.
Old 11-05-10, 07:31 AM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Iwas thinking ecu as well... open it up and look for burn marks anywhere on the board. also sniff the board and see if you smell anything that may have burned.