GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

My baby's got the shakes!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-08, 01:06 PM
Lexinton
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy My baby's got the shakes!

I've searched the entire CL website, and haven't come to a definite answer as to why my car has the shakes, so I figure I would ask the 1st-Gen GS family to help me out. Sorry if this becomes a little long and winded, but bare with me.

My car has the shakes. Now when I start to drive, it's usually okay. It only really starts to occur when I'm travelling between 80-120 km/h (50-90 mph) on the highway and I start to slow down (not pressing on the brakes, but just letting the car naturally slow down). The steering wheel and both the transmission shifter start to wobble. Now when I do actually step on the brakes, that when it shakes the most violently where you can actually see both wheel and shifter shake. Now after this occurs, even if I speed up, it's like I've 'enabled' the shake feature and it continues to vibrate. Now it seems as though its been isolated to the front two wheels of the vehicle, but I want to explain what I've done so far to troubleshoot.

1st - New tires

Now I had a blow out on one of my rear tires several weeks ago. I'm currently running 18" chrome wheels w/Nankang NS-II's which have been fine for the most part, and so decided to purchase 4 new (Nankang) tires. Now I was told the reason why I had the blowout was because my tires were feathering which resulted in it being bald on the inside. The wheels themselves were not damaged whatsoever on the blowout, as it was still resting on the rubber from the tire when it happened...

2nd - Alignment

So the place I got the tires from could not do the alignment, so I took it to another shop near my house. Once there, I had them do an alignment, in which the car still continued to shake. The mechanic told me that I would have to step up to better quality tires then the Nankang's in order to get rid of the shaking. Now I thought that to be wrong because I had them before I never had shaking this bad. The ride quality was actually pretty good. Nevertheless I decided to go another route.

3rd - Stock wheels + OEM SC430 wheels

Now I figured that maybe it was just the tires, so let me go back to my stock 16" wheels w/ goodyear triple tread tires...still had the shakes....

Then I put on my alternate 18" wheels which are the OEM SC430 wheels w/michelin pilots... still the car shakes... (with both these wheels not as much, but nevertheless was shaking)

Now I'm fresh out of ideas. Before summer, I purchased and had installed new front upper control arms, so it's not that either. From what I've gathered though, could it be a problem with my rotors? If that's the case though, why does it only happen at high speeds and not normal city speed limits? Also if I do my rotors, should I also do my calipers? Gonna do the brake pads for sure, but rather not spend the extra money if I don't have to. If it's not the rotors what other issues may it be?

I'm in crazy need of some help, becuase this is driving me crazy and have some other cosmetic projects that I'm working on with the car that I can't start yet until I get this resolved.

Please all guru's of the 1st-Gen GS's please help! Thanks!
Old 09-04-08, 01:18 PM
YupImJOee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lexinton
I've searched the entire CL website, and haven't come to a definite answer as to why my car has the shakes, so I figure I would ask the 1st-Gen GS family to help me out. Sorry if this becomes a little long and winded, but bare with me.

My car has the shakes. Now when I start to drive, it's usually okay. It only really starts to occur when I'm travelling between 80-120 km/h (50-90 mph) on the highway and I start to slow down (not pressing on the brakes, but just letting the car naturally slow down). The steering wheel and both the transmission shifter start to wobble. Now when I do actually step on the brakes, that when it shakes the most violently where you can actually see both wheel and shifter shake. Now after this occurs, even if I speed up, it's like I've 'enabled' the shake feature and it continues to vibrate. Now it seems as though its been isolated to the front two wheels of the vehicle, but I want to explain what I've done so far to troubleshoot.

1st - New tires

Now I had a blow out on one of my rear tires several weeks ago. I'm currently running 18" chrome wheels w/Nankang NS-II's which have been fine for the most part, and so decided to purchase 4 new (Nankang) tires. Now I was told the reason why I had the blowout was because my tires were feathering which resulted in it being bald on the inside. The wheels themselves were not damaged whatsoever on the blowout, as it was still resting on the rubber from the tire when it happened...

2nd - Alignment

So the place I got the tires from could not do the alignment, so I took it to another shop near my house. Once there, I had them do an alignment, in which the car still continued to shake. The mechanic told me that I would have to step up to better quality tires then the Nankang's in order to get rid of the shaking. Now I thought that to be wrong because I had them before I never had shaking this bad. The ride quality was actually pretty good. Nevertheless I decided to go another route.

3rd - Stock wheels + OEM SC430 wheels

Now I figured that maybe it was just the tires, so let me go back to my stock 16" wheels w/ goodyear triple tread tires...still had the shakes....

Then I put on my alternate 18" wheels which are the OEM SC430 wheels w/michelin pilots... still the car shakes... (with both these wheels not as much, but nevertheless was shaking)

Now I'm fresh out of ideas. Before summer, I purchased and had installed new front upper control arms, so it's not that either. From what I've gathered though, could it be a problem with my rotors? If that's the case though, why does it only happen at high speeds and not normal city speed limits? Also if I do my rotors, should I also do my calipers? Gonna do the brake pads for sure, but rather not spend the extra money if I don't have to. If it's not the rotors what other issues may it be?

I'm in crazy need of some help, becuase this is driving me crazy and have some other cosmetic projects that I'm working on with the car that I can't start yet until I get this resolved.

Please all guru's of the 1st-Gen GS's please help! Thanks!
I've read alot on here that it could be your rotors/pads/calipers. something about warping, or something i forgot.

not to steal your thread, but mine also shakes around 60-80mph, but i've noticed mine has a light vibration throughout the steering wheel and maybe the whole car in 3 second intervals, anyone have this?
Old 09-04-08, 02:41 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

I've found that these cars are very sensitive to wheel balance and if they are not properly balanced using a road force machine, the car will shake. The Nankang tires certainly don't help. I would start by finding a shop with a road force wheel balancing machine, but those tires may not even be round, so it may not solve the problem completely.
Old 09-04-08, 03:00 PM
Duds
Pole Position

My car just started to do the exact same thing, tried all the things you've done and nothing. It's going into the shop tomorrow to get this sorted out, I'm thinking it has something to do with the bushings on the front of the car.
Old 09-04-08, 05:45 PM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM!!!

This started when i got my new wheels and tires. 19s with Hankooks. I don't know why but its exactly how Lexinton describes it. From the threads I've looked up here, it is probably either in need of "road force machine" to align it or a seizing caliper? Those seem to be the most prevalent reasons...

If ANYONE can figure it out, i'll love you forever...
Old 09-04-08, 07:52 PM
Lexinton
Driver

Originally Posted by Duds
My car just started to do the exact same thing, tried all the things you've done and nothing. It's going into the shop tomorrow to get this sorted out, I'm thinking it has something to do with the bushings on the front of the car.
Where in Canada are you located? What services are you getting done to your car? This may sound bad, but may have to use you as a guiney pig before I take my car in...running short on funds lately and I don't want to have to get another alignment + rotors + calipers all to find out that NONE of those will solve the problem

Originally Posted by Lexatlast

This started when i got my new wheels and tires. 19s with Hankooks. I don't know why but its exactly how Lexinton describes it. From the threads I've looked up here, it is probably either in need of "road force machine" to align it or a seizing caliper? Those seem to be the most prevalent reasons...

See, now here's my thing...if Lexatlast has Hankooks (which are better then Nankangs), plus I went back to stock oem and 18" oem with higher quality tires (goodyear and michelins) then it can't be the tires not being "round". About this "road force machine" alignment - how is this any different then a standard alignment?

+2 on that love 4ever! Need to get my baby feeling better and back on the road!

Oh - another thing I forgot to ask/mention -

During the time I was changing from my stock 16's to the SC430 18's, I noticed that the studs had a little bit of play. They were able to move a few degrees in either direction. Not very much at all. Is that normal?

Found this link for anyone who needs to look for a shop that does the road force machine alignment. From the company that makes the machine that does it. To bad it doesn't tell you who actually knows how to USE the machine effectively. May try this route....

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm

Last edited by Lexinton; 09-04-08 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-04-08, 08:45 PM
Duds
Pole Position

The wheels definitely aren't your your problem I tried my stocks and the wheels off my supra and it still did it. I was also thinking a sticky caliper and a bent rotor combo would make it shake but the symptom's are so random I'm having a hard time trying to figure this out.

Originally Posted by Lexinton
Where in Canada are you located? What services are you getting done to your car? This may sound bad, but may have to use you as a guiney pig before I take my car in...running short on funds lately and I don't want to have to get another alignment + rotors + calipers all to find out that NONE of those will solve the problem
I'm just taking it and telling them what I think it is and take a look and if not just figure it out, I need my car back and it doesn't feel safe to drive it like this, at least not on the highway. I'm in Toronto btw.
Old 09-04-08, 09:11 PM
Duds
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexatlast

Have you tried switching back to stock? Do you have hub centric rings? If it happened as soon as you put your new wheels on it's most likely your wheels.
Old 09-04-08, 10:35 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm always amazed that people will spend $200 on a pair of shoes
but put no-name garbage tires on their car.

No big deal, it's just your life that depends on them.

Brake rotors sound like part of the problem. If it shakes worse
when the brakes are applied then you have a warpage issue
(probably it's pad deposition, often mistaken for warping).

I have found most of the aftermarket rotors and pads on the
1GS are garbage. Do yourself a favor and use new OE pads
& rotors. If you use aftermarket stuff, plan on replacing them
every few months...

Also, check the lower ball joints and the caster arms. If the
lower ball joints have never been replaced these are a
maintenance item and should be replaced ASAP.
Old 09-05-08, 01:06 AM
bigdogg49
Rookie

i am doing calipers, rotors and pads this weekend, mine shakes only when i apply the brakes, but i would like some stock wheels to try to see if i could get a smoother ride, can anyone loan me a set for a day?
Old 09-07-08, 06:54 AM
Lexinton
Driver

Hey Duds...

You take your car in the shop yet? If you got it back, what was the diagnostic that your mechanic gave you? Just got a quote on front and rear rotors/brake pads and think that I'm gonna go that route first before the alignment.
Old 09-07-08, 02:50 PM
bigdogg49
Rookie

well i just finished replacing front rotors, calipers, and pads, OMG what a diffrence, it felt like i was driving a diffrent car.

But let me tell you something I ran into, I had a problem at first getting the driver side rotor off, then i started looking at it, it looked smaller than the new rotor, so i compared them, and yup it was a lot smaller, and thinner, then i looked at the old pads, they had a lip on top from not being being worn. who ever did the breaks before me must have gotten the wrong rotors.

well my GS rides a lot smoother. I had a big smile on my face when i came to that first stop and no vibration.
Old 09-07-08, 02:53 PM
bigdogg49
Rookie

I did have to go to the local wrecking yard to get a banjo bolt since none of the dealers or auto parts had any, i got 2 off of a 96 camery
Old 09-09-08, 10:06 AM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Duds
Have you tried switching back to stock? Do you have hub centric rings? If it happened as soon as you put your new wheels on it's most likely your wheels.
well Duds, you were right lol.

Hubcentric rings are on now and i'd say 95-97% of the shaking is gone. Now I only have a very very light vibration at 74mph lol (but in the process I torqued off another freaking old stud, so I'm down to 4 on my front left wheel and 3 on my front right...)
Old 09-09-08, 10:10 AM
Triple C
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by link13
I've found that these cars are very sensitive to wheel balance and if they are not properly balanced using a road force machine, the car will shake. The Nankang tires certainly don't help. I would start by finding a shop with a road force wheel balancing machine, but those tires may not even be round, so it may not solve the problem completely.
My NANkang tires are the same way. I opnly got about 12000 miles out of them Talk about a ******* deal. plaus they were on the sides fatser then the middle. I am driving a GE and not like a crazy person. I also got an alignment and the where pattern is still the same.

Quick Reply: My baby's got the shakes!