GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

everyone read please... bodywork and paint situation

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-08, 07:12 PM
dkekim01
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default everyone read please... bodywork and paint situation

im asking for the advice of everyone with any knowledge of the pearl painting procedures mainly because i just had my car painted and i feel like ive been given a half *** paint job. when i first purchased my car it had a small rust hole the size of a dime over the rear wheel well (driver side) this is what im really concerned with. anyway i made a deal with a car painter who worked at prestigous automotive (port jeff, new york) who said he would do the all the body work and take care of the paint for 3000 after he had seen my car. i told him i wanted the whole car done and he said it was going to be another 2g's for the door jams . trunk hood etc because of the labor involved with taking the car apart. anyway i accepted his offer and let him do the work. the car looks great until i get real close . theres actually a couple of drip marks and the door jams are still rough because they havent been wetsanded not to metnion a couple of tiny spots where i can see overspray ... but my real problem is the paint where the rust hole used to be it's bubbling and ive only had my car back from the shop about 2 months(it was done this summer) the guy kinda scammed me because he promised me a reciept from prestigous automotive that included a life time warranty on the paint which i never received because the kid actually met me in a parking lot to give me my car back (i was at a hockey tournament not to far and he offered to bring me my car) also that same i day i paid him for the car but he told me he couldnt guarantee the rust hole which is nonsense because he should have told me that before he painted and gave me the car back. so anyway a couple of weeks later i showed up at prestige to get my receipt and after the painter talks with his boss he tells me he cant give me a prestige receipt because it was a side job and they didn't pay taxes on the work done. the guy offered to write me a receipt of his own and told me he can still guarantee the paint. when i tell him about the rust hole he gives me some story about how u can never fully get rust out and that if i wanted the paint job to be perfect i would have to fork over another $2000 for a new rear quarter panel (installed and blended) is he bull****ting me. ive asked around and alot of people have told me that he did a ****ty bondo job. what would have been the correct way to get rid of the rust?

do you guys think that if the job was done right the rust shouldnt come back? do you think the painter did a half *** job? in your opinions what should i do? i have already spoke to my lawyer and he says that i can contact the attorney generals office and better business bureau and also that i can sue the painter personally! i dont want to be an *** i just want my paint job done correctly ive spent alot of money on this and i feel like ive been ******ed royally.

im kinda thinking that maybe i can strike a deal with the shop and give them the interest so they can put the work done "on the books" so it would be covered but i dont know if it would be covered. should it be? and im not sure if the owner will go for it.

any knoweldge and advice would greatly appreciated.

p.s. i also have pictures of the car before and after as well as the car being worked on in the shop. so if i do decide to sue i have evidence that the car was done there.

thanks mike
Old 09-15-08, 09:23 AM
Skitso-3
Pole Position

Angry

I say u sue! 5k and it looks half-a$$ed.....yea I'd take him to small claims. Even from what you told me it sounds like the guy told you where he works 2 assure you he has experience and gives you this wild estimate and he can't even get documentation of it. And then you find out he did it under the table! I would stand for that *****. Thanks for the heads up! A friends cousin is gonna do my spray job this spring for 700 just cause he has the guns and could use the money so when you said 5k and you said you see the drips....just seeing the drips alone says half-a$$ed....Good luck...keep us up-to-date
Old 09-15-08, 10:26 AM
chewy
Pole Position

for that kinda price it would have to be a dam good job...imho i would get him back for trying to screw you over...and there is ways to get the little dime size rust spots out if he does it correctly and did not cut corners. i just hope you have enough pin points on him to get him.....or if there is a way to get on the owner of the shops good side maybe he could help in someway..but yeah man...screw that get him
Old 09-15-08, 10:37 AM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just had my GF's 1GS repainted, color change and it also had rust. $ weeks after the paint job, we noticed a rust spot that wasn't repaired. My body guy repaired the fender and repainted it at no charge. I say sue them. It's fairly easy to file a claim at the local Long Island Town Hall.
Old 09-17-08, 01:17 PM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all, you can never fix rust unless you cut the part off and reweld the hole or replace the whole panel. As far as 5K, buddy I gotta tell you that you got scammed. Small claims all the way. I have more than 5 years experience and let me tell you, you don't mess with rust. Either you replace the panel or do the repair the right way.
Old 09-17-08, 02:59 PM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

real talk, its half azz, there should be no drips, swirls or off colors, i would of talk 2 him with a baseball bat, thats just me, im serious about my money, n i hate getting screwed, but take the nice guy roll n sue him

can i see paint job pics, i wanted to paint my car, glacier frost mica for about that price?
Old 09-17-08, 03:22 PM
BIGGZ
Lexus Test Driver

im sorry to say this,but i think you got scammed.since you said it was a side job from one of the employee of the shop,i doubt the shop can help you.and sounds like all he did with the rust was fill it up with body filler.not the right way,i know,i did that before.i say sue that FU*KER!
Old 09-17-08, 06:26 PM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

sue them - sorry to hear about this
Old 09-17-08, 08:23 PM
bguild
Pole Position

i say five finger em, if you feel like you've been wronged. this process works every time

first, file a claim with the local Better Business Bureau

second, call your attorney generals office, explain the situation and ask for advice, then file a formal compaint with the AGs office.

third, dispute the charges with the credit card company. if you paid in cash, shame on you, don't do that again.

fourth, file the small claims and pay the money to have them served by the sheriff.

fifth, call your local news station and write your local newspaper explaining your situation. I'm sure in Port Jeff they would love to cover something juicy like a consumer affairs issue. After all, it is Port Jeff. I travel there quite a bit on the ferry, and it seems like the most serious criminal offense in this area might in fact be jaywalking. LOL. j/k, port jeff is a beautiful town.
Old 09-17-08, 08:27 PM
bguild
Pole Position

ps mike, i will actually be in port jeff coming off the ferry at like 11am tomorrow, would love to see your car first hand if you happen to be around. pm me if interested.
Old 09-17-08, 11:08 PM
dkekim01
Rookie

good looks for the advice and the procedures...ahhaha... ima get on that and see whats up with them... honestly i jus wanted my car done right i paid top dollar to make sure i was getting some pristine woek done... either way this will get straightened out one way or another its all on them now... anyway heres a couple shots of lex. the paint looks great accept for the lil bubble and unwetsanded door jams

before drop

after

Old 09-18-08, 10:37 AM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

ugh... 5K and its not perfect?

I know you don't want to sue, but thats a lot of money for a job that shouldve been top quality...
Old 09-19-08, 03:15 PM
KoSC300
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexatlast
ugh... 5K and its not perfect?

I know you don't want to sue, but thats a lot of money for a job that shouldve been top quality...
+1... good luck and let us know the outcome.