Wanna hear my new engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-08 | 01:01 AM
yusef
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deknick
shoulda gone with a exhaust cutout, gains you 37 RWHP

the hks does have a nice note, hard to explain it.

youtube supra HKS exhaust or something, atleast that'll be your best bet
hmm ok ill youtube it.

idk man that cutout sounds like i would loose power on the stock twins. i think if i had a single or something with a lil more power then it would give huge gains.

anyone have any input on this, cuz im always being told you need some backpressure. but idk
Old 10-02-08 | 01:03 AM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM Jefftsai He is running an electric cutout with a huge single turbo 2zj. Btw you can still add an electric cutout to your system.

Btw, who are you going to use to smog your car? Does Jay have a guy?
Old 10-02-08 | 01:06 AM
yusef
Lexus Champion

^^ i just got my car smogged before all of this.

Last edited by yusef; 10-04-08 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-02-08 | 03:55 PM
PWidow
Pole Position

Very nice! Glad to see everything back together!!

Just a quick question though, where in the heck did you find and order an HKS exhaust from? I've been looking for awhile now with no luck!
Old 10-02-08 | 06:14 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

here's my mod list, i bought the car bone stock, and have done the following to the engine:
-drop in k&n air filter, running stock airbox, and everything, jsut the filter was changed
-HKS SSQV BOV (doesn't add anything)
-GReddy FMIC with intercooler piping kit
-Fuel Cut Defender
-3" electronic exhaust cutout.
-first cat delete
-GReddy profec B spec II boost controller
without the boost controller even turned on, here's the dyno graph:
run 1 in the blue was with the cutout closed, and run 2 in the red was with it open, boost controller off

incase you can't see the numbers, run one was 291whp, and run two was 328 whp.

we later installed a boost controller and turned it on, and set the controller to the same amount of pressuer that it spiked to before when it was off, and got a more even powerband, but i don't have that graph

so in conclusion, running stock twins with a FMIC, intake, and a cutout will gain you 37whp all at the push of a switch inside the cabin, it will be dead silent(well a bit louder than stock, since the first cat is deleted)

a buddy of mine, shawn, had a silver aristo. he did the following:
-full intake with huge cone filter
-FCD
-full 3" turbo back exhaust
-colder plugs
-255lph wally fuel pump
-boost controller set to 17 with a peak of 18 PSI,

and on the same dyno at the same shop, he hit 334whp, so for me to not even touch the fuel system or up the boost with a controller, i think 6whp off is pretty impressive

so to yusef, your proof is in the picture, that the stock turbos have enough backpressure themselves to be able to use a cutout, and gain 37RWHP in the process,

enjoy
-Nick
Old 10-02-08 | 07:08 PM
Kaiser
Racer

You don't need back pressure, you need velocity. With a cut out that close, the exhaust has enough velocity to make a quick exit. If the exhaust is too small, the exhaust gas will back up, if it's too big, the exhaust gas looses velocity, backs up and you lose power as well. A well matched exhaust pipe to the system has a large impact on overall performance.
Old 10-02-08 | 07:41 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

that you are right kaiser, and you do need backpressure as well, i think mine is bang on as to waht it should have, consider the whp gain that i got.

mines a 3" downpipe to cutout, with the first cat removed

and cutouts on N/A cars would harm the performance if any N/A gs300 owners are thinking about it, yea it sounds cool and mean, but it's not worth putting on and gettting worse mileage if your goign to loose power
Old 10-02-08 | 09:11 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

Now i understand, and i got the proof i needed. thanks, ill talk to the shop guys and see if they can put one on. it shouldnt be to expensive or hard right?

oh and PWidow i have no idea where they got an HKS one from lol the guys got all these connections, ill ask them when i go there. most likely tomorrow, and ill get back to you.
Old 10-02-08 | 09:54 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

no it's not hard at all, buy it from quicktimeperformance.com, it gets shipped with a Y pipe, and they remove the first cat, and fab up a little bit of a downpipe, then weld the y pipe to it, and then custom make a "flexpipe" to go under the car to join the 3" to the stock size

i'll have a picture in a bit if you want
Old 10-03-08 | 06:57 AM
Kaiser
Racer

It's not back pressure it's velocity. You need velocity to create the scavenging effect to pull the exhaust from the head. Back pressure will only slow down the piston stroke. If there is zero back pressure then it could run too lean but that could be corrected through programming. You need a correctly sized exhaust for optimum results. If you have a cut out, you eliminate high back pressure with the quick exit. The only problem with electric cut outs is that the motors is they generally seize over time due to excessive heat from the exhaust.
Old 10-03-08 | 05:28 PM
PWidow
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yusef
oh and PWidow i have no idea where they got an HKS one from lol the guys got all these connections, ill ask them when i go there. most likely tomorrow, and ill get back to you.
Yes please let me know! I spoke to a buddy who is a dealer for HKS that asked the guys directly at HKS, and they said they don't make an exhaust for our cars any more. I passed an awesome deal on ebay a few weeks ago and now I'm on the hunt to find a similar one, lol!
Old 10-04-08 | 11:41 AM
yusef
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PWidow
Yes please let me know! I spoke to a buddy who is a dealer for HKS that asked the guys directly at HKS, and they said they don't make an exhaust for our cars any more. I passed an awesome deal on ebay a few weeks ago and now I'm on the hunt to find a similar one, lol!
lol ok so i asked him and he said he bought the 2nd gen gs HKS exhaust and is modifying it to fit on my 1st gen
Old 10-05-08 | 08:00 PM
PWidow
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yusef
lol ok so i asked him and he said he bought the 2nd gen gs HKS exhaust and is modifying it to fit on my 1st gen
Ah okay! If you don't mind, when he is done, ask him how hard it was to modify to fit our cars.
Old 10-05-08 | 10:17 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PWidow
Ah okay! If you don't mind, when he is done, ask him how hard it was to modify to fit our cars.
sure no problem
Old 10-05-08 | 11:08 PM
pingpong89
Pole Position

glad to hear you got the car up and running

Quick Reply: Wanna hear my new engine?