GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Stiffen Your 1st Gen Steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-08, 03:53 PM
tim8oland
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stiffen Your 1st Gen Steering

Whattup peeps!!?!? have any of you stiffened up the steering on your GS?? I hate how the steering is so soft on the 1st Gen. I know this is such a rookie question, but hey...I'm human like everyone else. I just want to know if there is ANY way to tighten the steering up so that it feels more sporty and NOT loose like it does from the factory. I appreciate everyone's time and help w/ this.
Old 10-07-08, 05:02 PM
boxcarfan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i THINK, and im not sure at all, but i think there is a way to.

if im thinking right there is an adjustment on the rack itself...it takes a special tool to do it. let me check at work tomm. ill let you know then.
Old 10-07-08, 08:37 PM
tim8oland
Pole Position

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah!!!!
please find out for us...i need to do this to my car ASAP! i just hope that tool you're talking about isn't hard to find.
Old 10-08-08, 07:21 AM
boxcarfan
Lead Lap

so yea thats what it does, its mainly used for taking the slack up when your like driving straight and you know how you have little bit of play in the wheel before you car acutally starts to move side to side...yea thats what the tool if for...but it should tightin up all around lol.

ill try it and see how it works and ill take a pic of the tool and post it up on here. idk if i can do it today or not, but i do wanna try it, soon.
Old 10-08-08, 09:21 AM
Kaiser
Racer

You mean the pressure control valve? It's on the rack and it's a 24mm hexagon wrench I believe. There isn't a ton of adjustment in it so don't get too excited.
Old 10-08-08, 10:32 AM
tim8oland
Pole Position

DAANNNNNNNNNNNNG!!!

Kaiser, where is the pressure control valve?? I still plan on doing this...any extra stiffness in the wheel would be better than OEM spec.
Old 10-08-08, 11:59 AM
Kaiser
Racer

Get wider wheels.
Old 10-19-08, 12:31 PM
tim8oland
Pole Position

Originally Posted by boxcarfan
so yea thats what it does, its mainly used for taking the slack up when your like driving straight and you know how you have little bit of play in the wheel before you car acutally starts to move side to side...yea thats what the tool if for...but it should tightin up all around lol.

ill try it and see how it works and ill take a pic of the tool and post it up on here. idk if i can do it today or not, but i do wanna try it, soon.
BOXCARFAN: did you ever try this on your car?? what was the result?? let me know man...still trying to do this.
Old 10-19-08, 03:45 PM
boxcarfan
Lead Lap

ok well i talked to some of the more experienced techs. and you can only tighten or move the adjustment screw about an 1/8th inch. but this only takes care of the slack like when your driving straight and has the little amount of play in the wheel before the car actually reacts. not for making it stiff. and if you turn it too much you will put the steering rack in a bind and destroy it. so for stiffing the actual steering, its not possible without destroying the rack. and if you did tighten that much, the steering would not come back to center when you let go of the wheel. its not worth it.
Old 10-20-08, 12:10 AM
tim8oland
Pole Position

shooot! i guess it is what it is. thanks for the update man. i'll just get bigger rims like dude said above. hahahaa