Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery and HIDS

a little bit info
i have a battery for two years
recently got HIDs(DDM 55-watts)
Its at night, i have my lows and fogs(both HIDs) on
the AC is a low
the music is on

I am driving down the freeway and bam, traffic.... a lot of stop and go. i stop for like 2 mins than my fog HID fogs starts to flicker, than my headunit restarts and the battery sign on the dash is blinking. i quickly turn off my headunit and fogs. than i quickly drive out of traffic and take local back to my destination.
Does it sound like i need a new battery? or something else? is my HIDs draining my battery?
Old 11-08-08, 06:42 PM
1stGS30
Lead Lap

wow same happens to me i thought it was cuz my 12'' sub base tube in the trunk when i put the volume up to high like i thought it had suttin to do with audio system like the amp or sub plus the H.I.D's taking away to much power from the bat and i have a red top optima battery!
Old 11-08-08, 08:34 PM
boxcarfan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its probly just the battery.

tho i was told by the guy i work with (i work at Lexus) that there was a TSIB on alot of the older Lexus for smaller pulleys on the alternators to spin it faster at idle..when im at idle at night i can put my foot on the brake and push the gas a little and see my lights get brighter...

so it would be VERY helpful to find a smaller pulley for our alternators

unless your distributor o-ring is leaking and when that happens it leaks right on the alternator and eventually it goes bad.
Old 11-08-08, 09:30 PM
LeXusFiTs
Lead Lap

If it was your battery, you would have trouble starting as well. Does this problem happen in the day? If so it's probably ur alternator. Also, make sure there is no corrosion on the battery terminals.
Old 11-08-08, 09:35 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

HIDS take less power right? so that shouldnt affect it?
Old 11-08-08, 10:22 PM
GS300 I6
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LeXusFiTs
If it was your battery, you would have trouble starting as well. Does this problem happen in the day? If so it's probably ur alternator. Also, make sure there is no corrosion on the battery terminals.
it only happens at night when i turn on everything on...lights/radio/ac. this happened twice already. i dont want to drive and have car just turn off...scary feeling.

During the day, i only using radio and sometime, the ac. i never get this probably during the day, well, not yet....

there is no corrosion on the battery. am i just using too much voltage?

btw, before the car was slightly modify(headunit and HIDs)... this was a awhile ago, 7-8 years ago before the car was handle down to me. i remember my brother was driving in the morning rain and the power restarted when the lights and radio and heater/defogger was used. he told me it happened a few times before. but im not sure if its the same problem since it was a while ago
Old 11-09-08, 09:29 AM
PWidow
Pole Position

I had this happen to me about a month ago. I was just driving home from work and came to a stoplight when all of a sudden the lights on the dash flickered and the whole AC unit got dim. I have the Pioneer D3 headunit and I quickly checked the voltage through it and it was very low at like 9v. Then when I started driving it came back up to around 11.9. Come to find out, it was my alternator.

I would recommend going to Autozone or Advanced and get your alternator checked out.
Old 11-09-08, 11:29 PM
Lexinton
Driver

Get that alternatory checked - I have HID's, 2 12" subs, monitors, xbox all in the car and have a brand new heavy duty battery. On a recent trip to Buffalo, NY the car just died. Found out that my alternator does not have enough juice to continually run all the devices I have in the car. Looking to get a HO alternator (but not sure how much I trust the ones on fleabay).

Back to your question though, as PWidow stated get your alternator checked out!
Old 11-10-08, 08:09 PM
GS300 I6
Pole Position

it turns out, the problem is the alternator. its not generating enough power when it idles. It only becomes a factor when i have too many things running at the same time like hids, ac, wipers, musics, etc. i was told that it is still drivable but just need to limit myself when i come to idling. btw It is a FACT: HIDs does generate less power than regular bulbs.

anyone had this problem and fixed it? if so, was it DIY and how much?
Old 11-12-08, 08:38 PM
1stgenGSb
Pole Position

this happened to me, and i looked at my battery to find that it was all corroded and nasty, i cleaned it off with some citrisolve and a rag, and the problem was fixed
Old 11-20-08, 06:57 PM
jroman32
Rookie

it happen to me to one time,, invest in a 200 amp alternator,, you will NEVER see that happen again,, my lights use to dim when i had it on a red light and then brightens when im accelerating,,Not no more,, that 200 amp alternator WORKS,,, Search it on EBAY ,,, Fair price...
Old 11-22-08, 03:09 PM
Diemellz
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jroman32
it happen to me to one time,, invest in a 200 amp alternator,, you will NEVER see that happen again,, my lights use to dim when i had it on a red light and then brightens when im accelerating,,Not no more,, that 200 amp alternator WORKS,,, Search it on EBAY ,,, Fair price...
same here, INVEST in a better alternator ASAP