GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

my toes are going blue!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-08, 03:36 AM
lesm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool my toes are going blue!

I own a 95 GS300 heater has never blown hot,air con has been checked and re gassed and works fine,but no matter where i set temperature its always blowing cold, please help thaw my toes out.
Jan..........
PS also red needle on speedo and rev counter don't light up is this just a bulb problem........
Old 11-09-08, 07:48 AM
Kaiser
Racer

Is the bypass for the heater core opening?
Old 11-09-08, 09:47 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

check the HRV, and the thermostat.

the needles is a complec problem, you need to buy a whole new needle/ cluster
Old 11-12-08, 05:53 AM
lesm
Driver School Candidate

Default cold toes.

Originally Posted by Kaiser
Is the bypass for the heater core opening?
thanks for your reply Kaiser where is this heater core bypass and how do you check
Old 11-13-08, 01:58 PM
lesm
Driver School Candidate

Hi Kaiser where is the bypass for heater core and how do i check it!... need to check it before it gets cold again wife will need to wear her thermals if not sorted soon....
Old 11-14-08, 01:25 PM
mad_trbo
Rookie

Default Bypass

Look against the fire wall for the bypass mentioned and follow the hoses from the cylinder head.

What you will notice is a hose going from the cylinder head to a component mounted on the fire wall, drivers side. This component is actually a valve with a cable control that is controlled by one of the blend motors underneath the dash. It opens the valve allowing coolant to flow into the heater core. Or it stays shut keeping coolant out of the heater core and eliminating the chance of heat transfer into the cabin when you are trying to stay nice and cool.

Another issue could be the blend motors isn't working and re routing fan air through the heater core.

When the car is cold move your hand around the floor vents and along the side panels in the same area. Then when the car is warmed up and you have the temperature in the car set to 85 feel the same area. You should feel a noticeable difference in temperature even without the fan blowing if the bypass valve is working. If you feel this difference then the issue is not your bypass valve it is the motor used to blend the air.

Another test would be to look at the bypass valve you can tell what is open and what is shut. See if the lever changes position when you change the HVAC temperature from 65 to 85.

Let us know what happens.
Old 11-14-08, 02:17 PM
bigdogg49
Rookie

the heater core might be bypassed too, which would suck, that means there was a problem with it.
Old 03-06-10, 02:30 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mad_trbo
Look against the fire wall for the bypass mentioned and follow the hoses from the cylinder head.

What you will notice is a hose going from the cylinder head to a component mounted on the fire wall, drivers side. This component is actually a valve with a cable control that is controlled by one of the blend motors underneath the dash. It opens the valve allowing coolant to flow into the heater core. Or it stays shut keeping coolant out of the heater core and eliminating the chance of heat transfer into the cabin when you are trying to stay nice and cool.

Another issue could be the blend motors isn't working and re routing fan air through the heater core.

When the car is cold move your hand around the floor vents and along the side panels in the same area. Then when the car is warmed up and you have the temperature in the car set to 85 feel the same area. You should feel a noticeable difference in temperature even without the fan blowing if the bypass valve is working. If you feel this difference then the issue is not your bypass valve it is the motor used to blend the air.

Another test would be to look at the bypass valve you can tell what is open and what is shut. See if the lever changes position when you change the HVAC temperature from 65 to 85.

Let us know what happens.
This is extremely helpful..

In your paragraph you refer to the component connected to the cable. For me, this component does NOT move at all regardless of 65 or 85 degree. I can't even force it to move at either temperature. I remember a while back there was A LOT of dry reddish(assuming it was coolant) built up around this same unit, but I took it to my mechanic and he cleaned it off while replacing the hose connected to this unit because it was leaking.

What is this component called? cost? and is there a DIY on how to replace this?

Neither my AC or heater works, I only get air blowing out, but regardless of temperature set, the temperature does not change... Help?
Old 03-07-10, 03:36 PM
VIP_Dreamz
Lead Lap

the needles are easy to replace. try to find replacement needles on ebay. there are basically 4 screws to remove the cluster. the needles just come right off with the pry of a screw driver and you basically just push down on the replacement needles. you can also use a 9 volt battery to check if the needles light up.