GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Upgrading Amp&Sub

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-08, 06:12 PM
SmoothGS3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading Amp&Sub

I want to upgrade my factory amp and sub,but i want to keep my factory head-unit,could someone help me out with a step-by-step guide?would i need anything special to complete this mod?will i run into anything major doing this?all input is helpfull

Last edited by SmoothGS3; 11-25-08 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11-28-08, 06:57 PM
rapollon
Lead Lap

I'll try to be detailed...

The most trying part of the install was finding a route for the power wire from the battery.

I used a 12" Pioneer free air sub I bought from ebay. $40
A hi/lo converter also from ebay $15
Bulls#it amp... priceless, no really, I didn't pay anything... haha, I won't quit my job or night job.

Aside from the standard wiring of any audio equip.

Remove the entire back seat.

(I didn't totally disconnect the rear deck panel)

Gain access to the stock sub and cradle.
Use your converter to lower the sound output to use with the RCA's from the amp.

Splice the stock sub wire, then drop it down into the trunk.

I secured my sub from below the rear deck, I didn't have an angle tool "drill" to access from the top.

Secure the sub, at this point you'll notice sound improvment with just the swap to the new sub with the stock amp.

Continue to neatly wire up your amp, invest in a good amp that allows you to have full control over the frequency adjustments. Because there is no box, you have no suspension and some notes will not hit right until the speaker is "tuning"

Dynamat would be nice to pad the rear deck, it will vibrate badly as well as the weight from the headliner.

Overall, I'm pleased with the install. I like the stock look, I mostly use my Ipod. Just waiting for some free time to build a box over the gas tank.

GOOD LUCK....

btw, power comes into the car from the wire loom on the driver side.
Old 11-28-08, 08:17 PM
SmoothGS3
Rookie

Thanks for the info i went to some pros and let them intsall it.i ended up buying a aftermarket headunit seems to making everything a bit easier.

Thanks
Old 11-28-08, 11:07 PM
Dan@FSM
Driver

Nice write up. Are you using the stock radio with your ipod? If so where can i find a how to for that. Thanks!
Old 11-30-08, 05:32 PM
rapollon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dan@FSM
Nice write up. Are you using the stock radio with your ipod? If so where can i find a how to for that. Thanks!
I'm using a cassette adaptor. Sounds very good... I didn't have to write a "detailed" write up with pictures. I'll do one when I refresh the setup. Overall I'm very happy with it, took about 3 hours total. I had to pad the rear deck with a towel, I wanted to use carpet padding but I just used what I had available.
Old 11-30-08, 09:48 PM
a.style21
Driver School Candidate

i just got my aristo a couple weeks back and i'm wondering how to remove the rear seats. i want to upgrade my sound system but i can't seem to figure out how to go about removing the rear seats.
Old 12-01-08, 01:06 PM
rapollon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by a.style21
i just got my aristo a couple weeks back and i'm wondering how to remove the rear seats. i want to upgrade my sound system but i can't seem to figure out how to go about removing the rear seats.
You have to carefully pry the seat bottom, it is held on by plastic clips in the front. Once you've done that you will see four bolts holding the bottom of the seat back, then you lift up and out.
Old 12-19-08, 12:08 AM
LexusCA
Driver School Candidate

I have the stock stereo system on my 94 GS300. My sub is blown out, and my volume *** on my stereo sounds staticky when I lower or increase the volume, could this be because of the sub being blown out, or do I have a electrical short somewhere in the wiring?