Aristo DRL question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-09, 10:27 AM
mkiiisupra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aristo headlight wiring question

PROBLEM SOLVED Thanks for everyones input and putting up with my noob-ness

Last edited by mkiiisupra; 01-22-09 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-20-09, 07:01 PM
suprawhite
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What I did was making the Aristo DRL into parking lights. What you need to do is use the ground wire twice, one is for the turn lights and the other is for parking lights.
Old 01-20-09, 07:43 PM
mkiiisupra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by suprawhite
What I did was making the Aristo DRL into parking lights. What you need to do is use the ground wire twice, one is for the turn lights and the other is for parking lights.
Am I able to make the JDM turn signal do as the USDM parking does? Just stay on and blink when the signal is going? And wire the DRL to stay on with the "desired parking light". I think its illegal to not have the amber lights on while driving isnt it?
Old 01-20-09, 07:58 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why don't you just wire up the 194 bulb in the headlight for the DRL?
Old 01-21-09, 04:01 AM
mkiiisupra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by deknick
why don't you just wire up the 194 bulb in the headlight for the DRL?
Could I leave the turn signal how it is, then connect the hanging green wire from the USDM harness to the green wire on the DRL, then the white wire from the DRL spliced into the white turn signal wire? Or would that cause the DRL to blink with the signal? What do I have to be cautious about as far as overloading anything or blowing fuses/connectors?

Forgive my noob-ness, but I am just TERRIBLE with electrical and always have been but I thought I'd be able to handle this considering it's only a couple of wires, but I ended up with my taillights being out when I turn my headlights on (brake lights still work when brake is applied though).

Ok, I just tried this and the DRL still doesnt come on and my tail lights are still out

I have the green DRL wire going to the old parking lamp wire, then the white DRL wire (I used black wire to extend it) I attached to the white wire from the parking lamp/turn signal....but it doesnt work. Should I move the white DRL wire to the white headlight wire?

Last edited by mkiiisupra; 01-21-09 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-21-09, 02:09 PM
mkiiisupra
Lexus Test Driver

bump!? I've already tired 3 ways and none of them worked, still unclear and I dont want to just start cutting into wires trying things. Should I splice the "black"(white DRL) wire into the white headlight wire and leave the rest the way it is?
Old 01-21-09, 02:11 PM
AaronStaub
Driver

What you have done looks like it should work, in principle. White/black stripe is always a ground path on these cars, so having both lights grounded to the old harness ground looks to be correct. Everything you have done seems to make sense. I notice that there isn't a hint of solder anywhere, which makes me doubt the stability of those connections.

Should be no issues with overloading. The spliced wires are going to have a little more current when the DRLs are on at the same time as the turn signal, but these are low-watt bulbs with intermittent duty. Can't imagine a problem there.

The loss of your taillights makes no sense. That circuit is driven by the main light switch, but the current path is not dependent on the function of the DRLs I don't think. My schematic is at work, so i can't look at it till tomorrow.
Old 01-21-09, 02:18 PM
mkiiisupra
Lexus Test Driver

That's not how they'll be connected, just doing that to see if they work. Tail lights stopped working after I snipped the corner bulb connector and when I put in the Aristo one, I left the smaller green wire with no black stripe (parkling lamp wire) unattached to anything then that night I noticed the tail lights weren't on anymore
Old 01-21-09, 07:56 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

why not just run a new DRL relay from ignition i think, and run a line into the fuse box with a fuse. that's what was done on mine for OPI.

the only DRL i have now, is my vanity plate since i took out the bulbs for DRL's
Old 01-21-09, 08:47 PM
gs300cky
Lead Lap

will i have this same problem to cuz i just ordered a set of jdm for usdm replacement? or not just cuz im using my 2 headlightas and i signal bulbs not that "fourth" light that jdm has
Old 01-22-09, 04:24 PM
mkiiisupra
Lexus Test Driver

Problem solved The way I wired it the 1st or 2nd time ended up blowing the tail light fuse. So wiring it the way I did the 3rd time and replacing the fuse solved the problem. So I guess the final word is that the turn signal on the Aristo lights can't be made into a parking light as well?

GS300cky: wire it the way I have it in the only remaining picture and you'll be fine

Last edited by mkiiisupra; 01-22-09 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-22-09, 11:44 PM
suprawhite
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats hehe. Let me know when you want to sell your Tein CS coilovers. I'm still waiting.
Old 01-23-09, 04:31 AM
mkiiisupra
Lexus Test Driver

Well dont bank on me wanting to sell them soon. I may as a spur of the moment thing but I lowered the rear some more to about .25/.5" from the lowest setting and Im actually pretty happy with the stance. It's not super slammed but I dont have to worry TOO much about speed bumps and dips, etc. I'd like to go with air but considering the ~3k price tag, Im probably going to end up keeping these for a year or so. So dont "wait up" but I'll definitely shoot you a pm down the line when/if Im ready to get rid of them