squires turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-09, 11:06 AM
gs300cky
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squires turbo?

i was just told about this turbo from squire
in your opinions if i did a stage 1 is that better or worse then the greddy turbo for our cars? this was alot cheaper so thats y i ask?
here is the site http://www.ststurbo.com/universal_system
Old 03-14-09, 04:57 PM
AaronStaub
Driver

Some people love those things. That said:

The turbo is in the worst possible place from an efficiency standpoint. The compressor is far away from the hottest and highest velocity exhaust gases. There is a lot more discharge piping downstream of the compressor than a traditional configuration, which hurts from a pressure drop standpoint. The oiling is more complicated since it requires a scavenger pump instead of simple gravity drain. Also notice that the kit does not include an intercooler, which is going to effectively limit you to 6-7 pounds of boost. At those boost levels, you can expect to make 310-325 hp at the crank. Its a nice power gain, and pretty good bang for the buck. But if you want to make big power (or even more-than-modest power), its not the way to go.
Old 03-14-09, 08:41 PM
plkyone
Lead Lap

Yea i think the position is stupid especially with our cars cause we have the space but if you are just using the kit in a traditional set up i guess it would be ok but what turbo r they using?
Old 03-17-09, 08:22 PM
gs300cky
Lead Lap

its a garret turbo i dont know what size specifically but i might sell it for a greddy one if possible
Originally Posted by AaronStaub
Some people love those things. That said:
The turbo is in the worst possible place from an efficiency standpoint. The compressor is far away from the hottest and highest velocity exhaust gases.

dont you want colder temperature? i dont know about turbos so that why i ask and also i dont want someone to see that i have a turbo...sleeper style
Old 03-17-09, 08:45 PM
AaronStaub
Driver

Originally Posted by gs300cky
its a garret turbo i dont know what size specifically but i might sell it for a greddy one if possible

dont you want colder temperature? i dont know about turbos so that why i ask and also i dont want someone to see that i have a turbo...sleeper style
Turbos scavenge energy from the exhaust to make power. Exhaust energy is available as heat. The turbo turns that heat into mechanical energy when the turbine spins the compressor. If the exhaust has given some of that heat away to the environment through radiant and convective losses on the way to the rear of the car, there is less available to spin the turbo. It will still work, but the performance potential is inherently compromised.

The air that you want to be cold is the air entering the engine. In order to do that, you need an intercooler. And of course, this kit doesn't have one.
Old 03-20-09, 02:57 PM
gs300cky
Lead Lap

got ya that helps alot and the said it looses about 100 degrees going thru all the pipes but that makes sense what you say thanks aaron