Old 04-05-09, 07:12 PM
Oleg400
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

2nd Gen barb none,
1st-2nd G
2nd-2nd G
3rd-2nd G
Really one of the most beautiful looking cars Lexus ever made.
Old 04-05-09, 07:14 PM
EyeKutr
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

3rd.....1st.....2nd
Old 04-05-09, 07:18 PM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3rd gen
2nd gen
pontiac aztec
1st gen

(slight exaggeration haha)
Old 04-06-09, 04:06 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by MJImport
3rd gen
2nd gen
pontiac aztec
1st gen

(slight exaggeration haha)
Ouch! Funny, though.

1) 1GS
2) 2GS
3) 3GS

I love the 1GS, but it begs to be modified. A lot of them look like Buicks if they're stock, not in very good shape, and have the gold emblems (aka midlife crisis package). The touring model doesn't look much different except for the ugly wheels. The 1GS looks dated if left stock, but great if modified.

The 2GS is my second choice, but these cars also beg for mods. The 1UZ-FE V-8 in a 1GS would be the perfect car. I like the interior of the 2GS much better than the 1GS.

The 3GS is a decent looking design, but it doesn't have anything that pops for me. Lowered on a nice set of wheels transforms the 3GS. There's a guy who brings his silver 3GS to the meets here in SoCal and I love his car.
Old 04-06-09, 04:14 PM
RICHYRICH
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2,1, and 3rd
Old 04-06-09, 04:22 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Stock and unmodified:
3rd Gen
2nd Gen
1st Gen

Modified:
2nd Gen/1st Gen (tie here)
3rd Gen
Old 04-07-09, 12:07 AM
SharkGTS
Rookie

Default My ratings

I have been studying this question myself for a while. saw all three today. for styling alone:

3rd
1st
2nd.. is so botched I would have a hard time owning it. I might just skip it and go to the 3rd depending on a test drive. front to back - the headlights are M-Benz "hallucinogens", the lines drawn around the side glass are whacked, make no sense proportionately, the rear fender flare competes with the ford delivery van as to who did this work of genius first (seriously check one out), the sensible proportions of the 1st gen were ruthlessly lopped front and rear.... and the rear lights are an untidy treatment like markings you'd see on some strange beetle when it opens it wings. sorry, just calling it as i see it. and as others do, that is why this GREAT car gets no $$. they are cheap reason = styling!! Having said all that I know underneath it's a great car and VIP'd still looks pretty damn good.

the 3rd is much like the first, but amplified. front end is more dramatic as is the side and rear. manufacturing these days allows this kind of sculpting. a lot of cars are following the design aspects established in the 1st, jag XF, even GM malibu.

the big let down on the striking design of the first gen was the car in stock trim. what could have been a real exciting car was beiged down into a sort of cream-puffed luxo cruiser. a modded first gen with phat wheels to fill out the wells and the right treatment looks thoroughly modern and quite stunning. The Ital styling is very strong and well done.
Old 04-07-09, 12:54 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkGTS
I have been studying this question myself for a while. saw all three today. for styling alone:

3rd
1st
2nd.. is so botched I would have a hard time owning it. I might just skip it and go to the 3rd depending on a test drive. front to back - the headlights are M-Benz "hallucinogens", the lines drawn around the side glass are whacked, make no sense proportionately, the rear fender flare competes with the ford delivery van as to who did this work of genius first (seriously check one out), the sensible proportions of the 1st gen were ruthlessly lopped front and rear.... and the rear lights are an untidy treatment like markings you'd see on some strange beetle when it opens it wings. sorry, just calling it as i see it. and as others do, that is why this GREAT car gets no $$. they are cheap reason = styling!! Having said all that I know underneath it's a great car and VIP'd still looks pretty damn good.

the 3rd is much like the first, but amplified. front end is more dramatic as is the side and rear. manufacturing these days allows this kind of sculpting. a lot of cars are following the design aspects established in the 1st, jag XF, even GM malibu.

the big let down on the striking design of the first gen was the car in stock trim. what could have been a real exciting car was beiged down into a sort of cream-puffed luxo cruiser. a modded first gen with phat wheels to fill out the wells and the right treatment looks thoroughly modern and quite stunning. The Ital styling is very strong and well done.
2nd gen is cheap due to styling?? Not due to the fact that it came out in 1998 and is now an 11 year old car. Nope you are absolutely right. If the 2nd gen is cheap due to styling how is it that the 1st gen which in you opinion is the best is cheaper?
Old 04-07-09, 02:51 AM
vindedreal
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Spyder78
2nd gen is cheap due to styling?? Not due to the fact that it came out in 1998 and is now an 11 year old car. Nope you are absolutely right. If the 2nd gen is cheap due to styling how is it that the 1st gen which in you opinion is the best is cheaper?
I dont think hes judging style by how old it is. Hes talking about its design in general, the 1gs was designed by a famous Italian designer who also designed alfa Romeros , Lotus , Lambo's etc.. (as stated alot in this thread), So if your judging by prestige in design, then by default the 1gs would win.

If you have to rate them by style , try to judge them as though they were all brand new. The 1Gens front end looks more aggressive than the 2nd, thats what I love about it, but the 3rd gen interior is nice.

My rating :
1st gen
2nd gen
3rd gen.
Old 04-07-09, 11:57 AM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2turbo4u
a. 1st. gen
b. 3rd. gen
c. 2nd gen
The third gen haves many cues of the first gen.
+1 on that one, same choices.

Just to comment on the design, I think the 3rd gen mixed both 1st and 2nd gen styles into one. For example:

1. The headlights resemble the shape of the 1st gen with the double 'light' of the 2nd gen.
2. Same goes for the tailights: shape is similar to 1st gen, but it has 2 like the 2nd gen
3. The shape of the front and the rear is a mix of both 1st and 2nd gen.

One thing about the 3rd gen and i tis just personal taste: I do not like the car in other colors than Black or White; other colors makes it look kind of... not that good.
Old 04-08-09, 07:44 PM
fordlex
Driver School Candidate

I think part of the allure of the first gen is they didn't sell many of these cars so the design tends to look fresh rather than the second gen that ran for 8 model years and sold alot more units than the 1st gen, hence the look of the 2nd gen car tends to become more common and recognized. Most non lexus folks have a hard time telling what model year this car the original really is ( first gen)
Old 04-08-09, 09:08 PM
CCSC400
Driver School Candidate

1. 3gen
2. 2gen
Dead last. 1gen.....but only because i have to rank it at all

haha I love the opinion
"well....the man who designed the first gen lived in italy.....therefore it's automatically good"

are you kidding me? If this famous guy made some gorgeous cars then fine, but he must've been wasted when he sculpted that gorgeous first gen block o' bland, generic hotness

maybe he went on to design these other works of art:

Old 04-08-09, 09:13 PM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

Depending what look you are you going for...

VIP look- 2nd, 1st, 3rd
Sporty look - 3rd, 2nd, 1st
Old 04-09-09, 09:30 AM
daddyswang
Rookie

3rd<br>
1st<br>
2nd<br>

Quick Reply: Which generation GS has the best style