GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

turbo whining, leak or screwed up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-09, 06:36 AM
GS300ZX
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo whining, leak or screwed up?

Well I finally got my 2jzgte swap finished and have been driving the car for 3 weeks now. last week i was boosting about 16 psi and blew a coupler, no big deal i replaced it and drove the car and still had a small boost leak. I did a boost leak test and found 4 places it was leaking. I fixed 2 places and the other two are, one plastic round sensor on the intake plenum and where the factory bov bolts on. these two are very small leaks. The question i have is since i blew that coupler the turbo sounds like its whining after it gets to about 4-5 pounds and the car feels sluggish during acceleration until the second turbo kicks in. Do you think the turbo is messed up or is that the sound of another leak somewhere?
Old 06-10-09, 07:07 AM
moejz
Pole Position

if the turbo is whining, its done. time to replace it. a lot of times, the rear ones go out first.
Old 06-10-09, 08:38 AM
GS300ZX
Rookie

well its a kinda whine/whistle sound, but if it is the turbo do i need to pull the engine again?
Old 06-10-09, 08:52 AM
moejz
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS300ZX
well its a kinda whine/whistle sound, but if it is the turbo do i need to pull the engine again?
First, make sure you really verify what is whistling. From my experience though, a howling/whistling/whining turbo is ususally a dead turbo.

just pull the turbo charge piping if it is the stock setup and look for oil in the turboes, pull and move the turbines side to side and in and out to check for play. If there is a lot of play, then its a very good chance you will need to replace it.
Depending on the amount of space you have in the engine bay, and how good you are with your mechanical skills, pulling the stock twin turboes from a 2jz engine is a pain like no other. you need good dexterity, good tools, #14 ratcheting wrench ( a big help), PB blaster to soak them exhaust bolts, and a lot of patience and a plan on how to tackle the removal. This is why most people just go single when they have to remove these turboes. even outside the car, its hard enough to remove them.

Here is what i do :

Start by removing all the charge pipes, water lines, heat shields to expose the turbo.

Then go to the bottom side and start removing the oil feed and return lines, the brackets holding the turbo to the engine and anything else to clear the way to the manifold bolts.

From here, start spraying and soaking all the manifold bolts and let them soak in.

now try to get them off with your ratcheting wrench. You will need to have another open end wrench to use as a cheater ... its abit of work.

You can do it!...but I bet you will not want to put those twins back on ... lol.

Last edited by moejz; 06-10-09 at 10:53 PM.
Old 06-10-09, 06:26 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

a whining turbo isn't always a dead turbo, UNLESS you have death whine, youtube it, it's a very unique sound.

my turbos whine like a *****, loudly too, and they still pull hard.

the reason it feels sluggish, is cause you have a boost leak, and it's trying to pull air in through there, just like mine right now
Old 06-11-09, 03:20 PM
vindedreal
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deknick
a whining turbo isn't always a dead turbo, UNLESS you have death whine, youtube it, it's a very unique sound.

my turbos whine like a *****, loudly too, and they still pull hard.

the reason it feels sluggish, is cause you have a boost leak, and it's trying to pull air in through there, just like mine right now
Agreed. When i had a boost leak, I could hear the turbo whine more distinctively. If it is a blown turbo, dont be sad, there cheap to replace!

Heres what your turbo might sound like if its dead, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyO3a...eature=related

I would call it a turbo howl.
Old 06-11-09, 04:57 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

how is it a cheap fix if it's dead?

it's 7-12 hours labour depending on the shop to remove and install a new set of either ceramic or steel ones.

that's a minimum 1500 dollar bill.

and going single is NOWHERE near that cheap either
Old 06-11-09, 05:25 PM
GoFastTSI
Pole Position

I think he was referring to stock twins being cheap. However, a turbo swap to a single isn't that hard at all. Why pay a shop to do something that you can do for yourself with basic hand tools and patience.
Old 06-11-09, 05:50 PM
vindedreal
Pole Position

Originally Posted by deknick
how is it a cheap fix if it's dead?

it's 7-12 hours labour depending on the shop to remove and install a new set of either ceramic or steel ones.

that's a minimum 1500 dollar bill.

and going single is NOWHERE near that cheap either
Yeh I was talking about replacing the twins, doesnt take that long, and it is cheap. I went single for around 2k on a 2jzge ( But i did labor myself ). I assume its cheaper on 2jzgte.
Old 06-11-09, 07:34 PM
deknick
Lead Lap

no really, when you factor in, having to custom fab manifolds and stuff, and changing fuel pump, and tuning, since a single will be different than the stock ECU can read, atleast to get more power out of it.

manifolds are about 500 or so, for a half *** decent one, a turbo, what? 900, 1000+

then intercooler, piping, intake,

a knowledgeable shop charges 7 hours to remove the turbos and replace. in fact i'll look it up on alldata tomorrow at work if i remember
Old 06-11-09, 08:45 PM
vindedreal
Pole Position

Well lets put it this way, If you have knowledge of basic tools, and do a little research , you can save alot of money, Club Na-t has 2jzgte single kits for 1400(Including piping, turbo, fuel regulator etc..) , without fuel managment (An SAFC will run around 200) So you can get a full kit for 1600, Im sure many members here who have gone aftermarket turbo have heard about them and tested their reliability . So cheaper options are available. Buying a used stock 2jzgte turbo is very cheap, I think Epik sold his set for 100$ maybe?

Id recommend to the OP to do some research, and find a Manual for the 2jzgte or online DIY to changing your turbo, its a supra engine, there are loads of information out there.
Old 06-12-09, 07:04 AM
deknick
Lead Lap

so your saying you can get a set of USDM steel wheel twins for 100 bucks?

can you provide me with such links? as mine are on the way out. and don't have the time, or local sources to go hi-flow route
Old 06-12-09, 07:15 AM
GoFastTSI
Pole Position

There is a set in either the SC or 1st gen classifieds.
Old 06-12-09, 07:35 AM
moejz
Pole Position

usdm twins don't go for $100 ...unless they are junk. Sometimes you'll be lucky to get a good set of twins even from a Aristo engine ( ceramic blade turboes) for that much. been around Supraforums/Supras too long to know this. switching turboes on a twin setup is not childs play at all. you will need the right tool for the job. I've done this a few times.
Old 06-12-09, 08:54 AM
GoFastTSI
Pole Position

Didn't mean to sound trivial about the ease of swapping turbo's, I've done this on a few different platforms to include Z32TT's and don't feel they are that difficult. To someone who has never turned a wrench, then yes, it is difficult.

Quick Reply: turbo whining, leak or screwed up?