GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

If I want to replace my climate control and gauge cluster bulbs.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-09, 04:47 AM
dadewi
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If I want to replace my climate control and gauge cluster bulbs.....

Is it as easy as just replacing the bulbs? I hear (and have seen through searching) people on the board talking about LEDs but I just want to change out my current bulbs with some brighter ones (PLUG & PLAY). I have searched but everyone is talking about LEDs. I just want to take my current ones out and put some brighter ones in. Does anyone know if I can do just that with some brighter bulbs? If so, where do I buy the bulbs? And are these the correct bulbs: 6 C, 1 A, and 1 B? Thanks, all!

Last edited by dadewi; 08-25-09 at 05:06 AM.
Old 08-25-09, 05:26 AM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

i changed out my factory bulbs with incandescent blue ones instead of LEDs in the HVAC. to be honest, they suck and I should've just done LEDs. You say you want 'brighter bulbs'? LEDs are brighter bulbs.

The incandescent ones are not bright at all. There isn't enough voltage going to the bulbs to make them any brighter than the factory ones you have. LEDs = less voltage needed, crazy bright light output. Most sites that sell bulbs in those sizes sell incandescent ones for the same applications, like autolumination.com. But seriously, just get LEDs. Brighter, sharper, newer.
Old 08-25-09, 05:27 AM
dadewi
Driver

Thanks, Lexatlast, but are the LEDs Plug and Play?
Old 08-25-09, 08:59 AM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could order the ones already on new bases and definetly I would do so. I had LED's on my cluster, replaced the old bulbs with 74 LED's but didn't replaced the old bulb bases... After all my LED's started flickering and went out (thanks to the old bases) I put in my incandescent back in and now my cluster is a smoldering piece of garbage: one of the bases shorted and burned both the ribbon and the board: my cluster is GONE.

Im not scaring you off but you could do some serious damage if you dont replace the bases with new ones, just a word of advice.

Last edited by jmax.garage; 08-25-09 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-25-09, 09:38 AM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

^^

What he said. It all depends on which ones you buy. I'd get the #74 bulbs with bases already attached (8 of those) for the gauge cluster. The HVAC LEDS all have bases already connected and you just stick them in. If they don't work the first time, flip them (LEDs are polarity sensitive).

So to answer, yes they are plug and play. It is suggested you get new bulbs with bases instead of reusing the old bases.
Old 08-25-09, 10:05 AM
dadewi
Driver

So, I can buy plug and play!

Lexatlast,

Where can I buy them from? And for how much?

Can I just buy the bulbs and bases from http://autolumination.com/74.htm and I will be fine? How many HVAC LEDS will I need?

Last edited by dadewi; 08-25-09 at 10:11 AM.
Old 08-25-09, 05:11 PM
fordlex
Driver School Candidate

With the climate control bulb, the dealer didn't want to replace the bulb - they wanted me to fork over silly money and buy a new unit. I found a unit on ebay and when I hooked it up the display didn't work properly. However, I was able to swap out the bulb for the temp display and use that. Its been working ever since. There are some DIY instructions on this website.