GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

anyone have legal engine swap with CARB?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-09, 04:53 PM
BRIANxJDM
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone have legal engine swap with CARB?

im about to get a 1gs and im afraid that the engine is going to die soon and its going to be my daily drive
Old 09-22-09, 10:27 PM
BRIANxJDM
Driver

anyone has their car bar?
Old 09-23-09, 06:13 AM
Triple C
Lead Lap

What the heck are you talking about.. If the motors about to Crap the bed then get an Aristo 2jzgte! end of story.
Old 09-23-09, 06:25 AM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

PM yusef

he's in cali with a 2jzgte swap. If he can pass CARB, then so can you
Old 09-23-09, 08:52 AM
moejz
Pole Position

To Pass CARB in Ca, you shouldn't have any problems with a stock engine. What makes you think the engine is going to take a crap?? have you done any tune ups on it? Is blowing smoke?? Check engine lights oN??

You should fix whatever is ailing it and then take it to get the smog check done, that's all.

IF the engine is bad, then repalce with another one of the same kind. 2jzge GS300 engines are easy to come by in good condition. This is the only Legal SWAP!

Only way to pass CArb """legally""" in Cali with a 2jzgte swap will be to get an engine from a USDM Supra so you can retain all the emissions parts/keep to it MAF based, and retain the EGR and Catalytic convertors.
Old 09-23-09, 09:07 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by moejz
To Pass CARB in Ca, you shouldn't have any problems with a stock engine. What makes you think the engine is going to take a crap?? have you done any tune ups on it? Is blowing smoke?? Check engine lights oN??

You should fix whatever is ailing it and then take it to get the smog check done, that's all.

IF the engine is bad, then repalce with another one of the same kind. 2jzge GS300 engines are easy to come by in good condition. This is the only Legal SWAP!

Only way to pass CArb """legally""" in Cali with a 2jzgte swap will be to get an engine from a USDM Supra so you can retain all the emissions parts/keep to it MAF based, and retain the EGR and Catalytic convertors.
I believe this is correct with the caveat that the donor Supra must be the same age as or newer than the GS the engine is going in to, but do reserach off the internet. I wonder if AAA could get this information for you since they seem to do a lot of DMV type of stuff.
Old 10-17-09, 11:57 AM
kaveman762
Driver School Candidate

Regarding Califonia smog/ carb requirements. My buddy had his car inspected by a person at the ref or carb station and got his carb sticker. But it was easier for him as his car was a mk4 n/a converted to a gte motor. But it is basically the same for sc300 also from what he asked the agent. As long as the replacement engine is the same year or newer(USDM everything), not from a truck, and retains ALL of the smog/egr equipment, fuel tank/charcoal canister stuff, the cats and O2's and the correct ecu type(obd1 or 2) then it should pass. Since he got the car for free (our buddy passed away during the OIF/OEF war in the middle east, the wife gave it over to him) he spent about $6k doing the complete swap by buying a wrecked TT supra. I know most people would say just to buy a TT MK4, but the n/a car has sentimental value. The car was also all original paint no chips at all, no mods or even an exhaust or radio. It had less than 70k miles. He gained mechanical knowledge since this was his first mechanical project, before that he was a full time 0311 in the Marine Corps. The whole swap was less than $7k, and he basically has a TT 6 speed supra for less.
Old 01-07-10, 08:56 PM
yongtim
Driver School Candidate

hi i just swapped a supra twin turbo into a sc300. I need to smog the car and i live in CA, SF. It's a jdm swap and the smog refs said it is going to be legal to bar. Does anyone know where i can get help with smogging???
Old 01-11-10, 02:11 PM
ndtoan85
Driver School Candidate

go to Skyline college in San Bruno... automotive depart and there is ref station there.

i'm looking to do the 2jzgte with legal smog..., do you know anyone?
im in bay area too.