GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

18 year olds shouldn't own Lexus's.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-10, 08:29 AM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first car was a SC400, and my parents wouldnt let a mod touch it, even if I had the money. They told me if I wanted to mod a car I had to buy my own car. At 16 I bought a MKIII supra and fixed it, and sold it for a profit. I have done that with 4 or 5 cars now, and the cars that I have now are due to me selling my cars for a profit. I never saw a penny from my parents because they dont really approve of what im doing. I also dont have any tickets or wrecks, and im 18 driving a 500hp 6 speed SC monster. I consider myself mature for my age. If you want to go fast-go to the track.
Old 01-06-10, 08:47 AM
2turbo4u
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by heartmyis
You have no idea, though I am buying parts...I don't have money for labor at all. School tuition, books, rent, and expenses takes about 70% of my money I myself too am doing it a little at a time.
Your not getting it buddy? You had a bmw 335 which is was a 40k car the O.P is talking about a first gen gs300 a 5k or less car stock. Also your driving a new IS which again is 35k+ car your engine alone is worth as much as the O.P car.
O.P just calm down and drive like a civil human being and mods don't mean crap, cause at the end of the day it's a good running and reliable car that mean the most.
Old 01-06-10, 09:08 AM
DONT SLEEP
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got my SC when I was 19, and I had money to mod it and whatnot. The thing is you always want to give yourself a cushion in the bank account that you NEVER want to go below. Being a college student and part time worker definitely helped out a lot living at home with my parents rent free.
Old 01-06-10, 03:53 PM
YupImJOee
Lexus Test Driver

1. get a job. its not hard unless you're lazy.
2. stop complaining. its a lexus.

if you want a light car thats easy to mod and will save you gas. convince your parents to sell the car and get you a CRX.
Old 01-07-10, 01:11 PM
Bippu147
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i bought my first when i was 19, i'm 21 now and i own 3 lexus's and a mk4 supra

toyota, my anti drug :P
Old 01-07-10, 10:52 PM
daddyswang
Rookie

I didn't post this topic to start an argument, but there are so many ASSumptions that I'm ungrateful about my car and drive recklessly. When in fact, I am nothing near ungrateful, if anything I'm obsessed. I love my car so much, and I am thankful that my Dad handed it down to me (I did not buy it).

It sounds contradicting, but if it were up to me I would of bought a Honda or Nissan. But I am oh so glad it was not up to me, and I own the first gen GS.

As for the tickets, riding my goped & expired tags (right when my Dad started letting me drive the car, it had expired tags, that I foolishly didn't know about, got pulled over. And that was that.).

I just graduated high school in November, and I am starting at Mt. SAC in February. I look for jobs more than any other kid I know, and it might not be hard for other people to get a job, but me I'm different. I'm going to be 19 in February and I look like I'm 12. There are so many judgmental ****** out there that won't even give me a chance, just because how young I look and my name that they can't pronounce (Kenechukwu Chinegwu).

Anyways I didn't log on tonight to give my life story. But don't call me lazy or ungrateful. My original post might of sounded like a complaint, but it wasn't. I was just trying to sound funny. I haven't posted a topic in so long, and that's all I had to say. If you don't have anything good to say then don't say anything... Atleast to me, thanks.
Old 01-08-10, 03:14 PM
1stGS30
Lead Lap

I feel where you coming from Kenechukwu I had the same problem finding a job cuz i looked so young and on top of that my race and location where i lived alot of ppl out there might think its all crap but those are the lucky ones
Old 01-08-10, 04:44 PM
daddyswang
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1stGS30
I feel where you coming from Kenechukwu I had the same problem finding a job cuz i looked so young and on top of that my race and location where i lived alot of ppl out there might think its all crap but those are the lucky ones
Yeah it sucks. But I'll get hired some where eventually. I hope. Oh, and I go by Kc for short.
Old 01-08-10, 04:52 PM
gs300cky
Lead Lap

kc i know your pain im 21 and everyone thought i was 15 when i started my job last year. but ya i just did little interior mods(blue led lighting in-dash unit plus sub) and some minor cheap outer mods(blacked out tails and headlights plus tinted windows). but im buying a old 88 corolla gt-s while i park my car during summer. that way i get better gas mileage and it will save me money. you should see if you can find a car like that then you can save up and then really do your mods.
Old 01-08-10, 04:56 PM
daddyswang
Rookie

Originally Posted by gs300cky
kc i know your pain im 21 and everyone thought i was 15 when i started my job last year. but ya i just did little interior mods(blue led lighting in-dash unit plus sub) and some minor cheap outer mods(blacked out tails and headlights plus tinted windows). but im buying a old 88 corolla gt-s while i park my car during summer. that way i get better gas mileage and it will save me money. you should see if you can find a car like that then you can save up and then really do your mods.
Yeah, that's what I'm trying to do. But instead a Honda Civic hatchback.
Old 01-08-10, 06:29 PM
yusef
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by daddyswang
Yeah, that's what I'm trying to do. But instead a Honda Civic hatchback.

Mt. Sac! lol ill see you there haha
Old 01-09-10, 11:01 PM
daddyswang
Rookie

Originally Posted by yusef
Mt. Sac! lol ill see you there haha
Oh for sure! Cool, I'll say what's up if I ever see you a parking lot.
Old 01-09-10, 11:43 PM
bnizzle87
Lexus Fanatic

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

when i first read the title of this thread, immediately i thought of those kids in high school who have parents to give them cars. it made me appreciate my parents even more for NOT getting me a car. responsibility is very critical in a young person growing up, even though i myself am still quite young. those who can afford their first car, should be able to afford things as gas and even the mods they wish to do. for me, i was able to go to school, save up, gain some financially sound advice from elders (parents, teachers, and advisors), and i was able to get my ride. most importantly i was able to get it WITHOUT my parents help. i love them for providing me with the tools necessary to begin adulthood right: good education, good morals, good mindset (notice how none of that was bought or in terms of $$). my parents work hard for their money, so ive always felt it was wrong to ask them for something big, such as a car. earning the money myself by taking the most mundane jobs made getting whatever i needed so much more precious to me.

by the way, hearing from friends and the lovely use of facebook, those same kids in hs who got sweet rides from their parents ended up crashing it or getting DUI's or mishandling it in general. im not saying they deserved that to happen to them, but it clearly shows that those who simply are handed nice things will more often than not be treated poorly simply because there is no personal factor.

money isnt everything, but it sure helps. i know im not an elder, but associating myself around so many has allowed me to take stock in what really matters in life. sure, i love having a great lexus to drive, but more importantly ive learned so much just to save up for one ever since high school; initially my "dream" car was a 97 supra, but as soon as i saved up to pay for it, i wanted to challenge myself to see how much more i could save. long story short, eight total years saved up, got myself the first gen IS F upon my college graduation (graduated a year early to push myself even harder).

work hard for all the things you want, and those possessions you'll own will be way more meaningful to you because you know how hard you worked just to get them.
Old 01-11-10, 04:01 PM
daddyswang
Rookie

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
when i first read the title of this thread, immediately i thought of those kids in high school who have parents to give them cars. it made me appreciate my parents even more for NOT getting me a car. responsibility is very critical in a young person growing up, even though i myself am still quite young. those who can afford their first car, should be able to afford things as gas and even the mods they wish to do. for me, i was able to go to school, save up, gain some financially sound advice from elders (parents, teachers, and advisors), and i was able to get my ride. most importantly i was able to get it WITHOUT my parents help. i love them for providing me with the tools necessary to begin adulthood right: good education, good morals, good mindset (notice how none of that was bought or in terms of $$). my parents work hard for their money, so ive always felt it was wrong to ask them for something big, such as a car. earning the money myself by taking the most mundane jobs made getting whatever i needed so much more precious to me.

by the way, hearing from friends and the lovely use of facebook, those same kids in hs who got sweet rides from their parents ended up crashing it or getting DUI's or mishandling it in general. im not saying they deserved that to happen to them, but it clearly shows that those who simply are handed nice things will more often than not be treated poorly simply because there is no personal factor.

money isnt everything, but it sure helps. i know im not an elder, but associating myself around so many has allowed me to take stock in what really matters in life. sure, i love having a great lexus to drive, but more importantly ive learned so much just to save up for one ever since high school; initially my "dream" car was a 97 supra, but as soon as i saved up to pay for it, i wanted to challenge myself to see how much more i could save. long story short, eight total years saved up, got myself the first gen IS F upon my college graduation (graduated a year early to push myself even harder).

work hard for all the things you want, and those possessions you'll own will be way more meaningful to you because you know how hard you worked just to get them.
Awesome! I'm happy to hear your story. It makes sense, and I'm more than sure that I could use it as motivation. I'm very young, and trying to learn patience. I've only had my car for about a year and a half. And some how I expectED (not anymore) it to be moded fast. I think it is because my cousin who couldn't save his money to save his own life completed moded and turbo'd 2 cars in one year. But I was young when that happened, and now realize he was probably selling some illegal stuff. Now I know it takes time, alot of it. Thanks for all the post. Take care CLers!
Old 01-11-10, 07:42 PM
hondacurag
Driver School Candidate

Sell the GS and get an old Civic. Otherwise just be mature, save your money, and plan accordingly. Just remember that mods are a money pit - think of saving for bigger purchases, and more importantly Investments. I had my first car (98 Integra) since I was 17, and bought my house at 21. I still have the Integra parked in my garage today. It's droped on a Neuspeed/Koni Yellow setup, sound system, HID's, gone through multiple sets of rims, several facelifts/changes, complete interior change from tan to black, but it's a Honda so it wasn't to hard to find good parts at a cheap price. Lexus is going to bring a premium, thats just the way it works.

Quick Reply: 18 year olds shouldn't own Lexus's.