GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Project Failure Analysis

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-10, 09:36 PM
Chucez
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project Failure Analysis

Please give me your opinions as to what else you think went wrong with the engine given these photos.

I'm gonna start off by mentioning that my friend sold me this 147 because it it overheated and blew a head gasket.

As of this posting, I've had the car in my possession for approximately 3 weeks and I've only had time to work on it, this past week. Because our neighborhood is under the jurisdiction of a HOA, I get really paranoid when I do big jobs like this. Nosey old ladies always threaten to report me to the HOA and all that crap, so I end up taking unnecessary breaks just to avoid being tattled on.

The cylinder head has been off for a day and the head shop wasn't open this past weekend so I spent the day scraping mating surface of the block with a razor and degreasing as much stuff as I could.

On to the interesting stuff (for me, at least):

Shown in Figure 1 are the combustions chambers of the No. 5 and No. 6 cylinders (left to right). The intake side is on top and the exhaust below. Note the exhaust valves No. 6; it's wet compared to the No. 5 exhaust valves indicating that the head gasket blew around cylinder 6. It's not obvious in this picture but you can see coolant seeping out of the right-most exhaust valve of No. 6. Also, this 147 was driven around the desert so you can see bits of sand stuck to the faces of some of the exhaust valves, which is pretty interesting.

Figure 1:
Wet faces of exhaust valves in No. 6 cylinder (right) provides evidence to support my friend's claim that the head gasket is blown.

Next, Figure 2 shows image of the head gasket around cylinders 4, 5 and 6. On the bottom right portion of the head gasket, you can see bits of steel head gasket splintering inwards, towards the combustion chamber. It looks like pressurized coolant blew out that ring around the cylinder. I took thickness measurements with a micrometer and the head gasket thickness is uniform around the cylinders.

Figure 2:
Near the bottom right corner of the head gasket area around cylinder 6 (farthest right) is steel head gasket material that splintered towards the center of the combustion chamber.

Well that's it for now. I'm taking the head into the shop tomorrow for a resurfacing. Hopefully, the head and parts of the each manifold assembled by the end of the week so I can get this thing smogged and registered.

After that, it's a long wait to find a USDM 2jzgte.

Please let me know if you have any opinions as to what else could have happened inside this old 2jz.
Old 02-15-10, 08:26 PM
Kaiser
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The block is iron so it's likely still level. Is the head warped at all?