Doors stuck.. Any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-10, 08:16 AM
deviategs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doors stuck.. Any ideas?

Hi everybody, new here..

I recently purchased a 93 GS300, from the day i bought it the front passenger door was completely frozen and would not open with key, inside, anything. The drivers door had considerable damage so i replaced it but kept the lock cylinder from the original. Before I shut the door i tested both handles, manual lock unlock switch, key in the cylinder.. Everything worked fine until I shut the door and it froze up just like the passenger side.

So if anyone has heard of this before please help me out.. Is it possible it could be something as simple as key I received is missing a chip (If this year even had them)?

Any ideas at all?
Old 05-23-10, 10:54 AM
"G"
Rookie

Damn! No I can't say that I have heard about this problem, with this particular model. Have you asked the dealer, or previous owner if they had any information regarding the passenger side door?

Start with the basics before you start making big payouts to a dealership or garage. Generally, for most vehicles I would start by removing the inside door handle. to You should see a thin metal rod attached to the back of the handle. Detach the rod and physically pull it in the same general direction as would the door handle. You should feel some tension. The rod should also spring back, once you begin to release. If you didn't get any of this, then there's a good chance the assemble for the door handle and lock has been improperly assembled. If there is tension on the rod, it's possible that the weather-strip around around the door might be sticking to the frame. You might have to put some muscle into it, especially if the vehicle has been sitting for awhile. You could try this first, My $.02, Hope this helps.
Old 05-23-10, 01:04 PM
deviategs
Driver School Candidate

I actually went in and pulled back the drivers door panel back enough so that i could mess with things... The handle and lock both had a throttle cable sort of setup - I tried tugging on the lock switch one with some pliers but no luck. The further I traced it I could see that all the cables and linkage seemed to be working as it should...

Until I got to the door latch assembly itself. I could see the rod going from the lock cylinder to this assembly. I tested my original door and it seems that when you turn the key this rod moved downward and unlocks the latch - This is where it seems to be frozen on the car. I can have someone turn the key outside and see this rod trying to move down but the latch just isn't having it.

By the way in the process of switching out the doors it seems i disconnected the battery and enabled the anti theft system because it won't start now either.

I'm starting to wonder if every locksmith I talk to is right and the doors are receiving some command to not open...?

Sorry for the long posts just trying to get all my info out there...
Old 09-20-10, 07:16 PM
rapollon
Lead Lap

Did the doors end up opening? I'm about to destroy one of my door panels to gain access to the mechanism also. I replaced my door, tested and everything worked. Went to open the door the day after and wham!!!! Locked out.
Old 09-21-10, 07:57 AM
deviategs
Driver School Candidate

Yeah it actually turned out to be two different problems.. The passenger side just had a bad plastic clip that connects to the handle. The driver's side had a bad latch assembly - I even tried replacing it with the one from the original door that got replaced, weird thing was it all tested ok until I put it on and now this one wouldnt unlock anymore either.. So I ended up getting one from a junk yard for around 25 and its been great since.

It is possible to get in there with a screwdriver or picks and move some pieces to get it to open. There's a plastic cover right over the latch you can rip off to get more access also. If I hadn't thrown the old ones out I'd post some pics of what parts you have to move, but if you study it for a while you'll get it.

Let me know how it goes, and if you need a latch my local u pull junkyard just got a 93 gs in and i might be going down there again soon.
Old 09-21-10, 07:24 PM
rapollon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by deviategs
Yeah it actually turned out to be two different problems.. The passenger side just had a bad plastic clip that connects to the handle. The driver's side had a bad latch assembly - I even tried replacing it with the one from the original door that got replaced, weird thing was it all tested ok until I put it on and now this one wouldnt unlock anymore either.. So I ended up getting one from a junk yard for around 25 and its been great since.

It is possible to get in there with a screwdriver or picks and move some pieces to get it to open. There's a plastic cover right over the latch you can rip off to get more access also. If I hadn't thrown the old ones out I'd post some pics of what parts you have to move, but if you study it for a while you'll get it.

Let me know how it goes, and if you need a latch my local u pull junkyard just got a 93 gs in and i might be going down there again soon.
Did you have to destroy your door panel to get access?
'm diving into it this weekend
Old 09-22-10, 03:29 AM
deviategs
Driver School Candidate

I tore up the driver's panel completely and got a new one off ebay, the other side I just cut out the middle leather part above the arm rest and fixed it up afterwards