GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

head gasket question

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-10, 07:36 PM
teedup55
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head gasket question

ok heres my problem...I rencently replaced a blown radiator hose and about 2 days later I was having bubbling in the overfill tank... took it to a friend and said the coolant smelled like it had oil in it which means a blown head gasket... He said I probably had some type of sealant in the coolant that I had drained out and thats the reason the problem came up... So I kno its not a good choice but I put some barsleak for the time being until i can get it fixed...

so ive been keeping an eye on my coolant and it seems as though every 2 or 3 days ive been having to add like half a bottle of coolant I cant figure out where its goin..I dont have any coolant in my oil and im not having any kind of white smoking or anything..

also the overfill tank is full but its not dropping even when the radiator is low on coolant?

im jus curious where the coolant could be going to..

I kno what im risking by driving it still but honestly times are hard for me right now and this is the only car I have to get to and from work.

just wondering if I take it to a shop around how much am i lookin at to get it fixed if it is the head gasket...

just wondering cuz I dont wanna get ripped off... I always hear its very hard to get parts or its a rare car or this and that just want to kno..

any input would be greatly appreciated.. thanks you guys

Last edited by teedup55; 06-07-10 at 07:52 PM. Reason: add more
Old 06-07-10, 08:14 PM
YupImJOee
Lexus Test Driver

faulty radiator cap?
Old 06-07-10, 08:26 PM
Kaiser
Racer

Is the car actually overheating?
Old 06-07-10, 08:58 PM
VIP_Dreamz
Lead Lap

check your radiator cap for proper sealing. also can be a faulty thermostat causing the problem. are you keeping a eye on your temp gauge?
Old 06-08-10, 05:25 AM
teedup55
Driver School Candidate

No car has never overheated on me at all and I replaced the thermostat before I had a friend look at itI bought a new radiator cap wen I replaced the hoses...I will try another tho how many lbs are our caps just to be sure??

Yes I'm keepin an eye on my temp and the car is always runnin at a little over midpoint on the guage which is normal for me....

Any other suggestions??

Appreciate the help by the way
Old 06-08-10, 08:32 PM
YupImJOee
Lexus Test Driver

try burping your radiator. maybe when you replaced the hose, some air got into the system
Old 06-08-10, 09:12 PM
frankdms
Pole Position

It may burn colant with no visable smoke. You can check the cooling system for HC's (hydocarbon's or byproduct of combustion) you can use a gas analyzer. That would be the only way you really know for sure.
Does it run rough cold? Do you ever smell sweetish smells in the car? If it is burning a sizable amount it may also "clean" the piston face inside the cyl, as well as you may find one or more spark plugs that look different than normal.
What motor/year/milage etc?
Old 06-08-10, 10:20 PM
teedup55
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by frankdms
It may burn colant with no visable smoke. You can check the cooling system for HC's (hydocarbon's or byproduct of combustion) you can use a gas analyzer. That would be the only way you really know for sure.
Does it run rough cold? Do you ever smell sweetish smells in the car? If it is burning a sizable amount it may also "clean" the piston face inside the cyl, as well as you may find one or more spark plugs that look different than normal.
What motor/year/milage etc?
The car runs smooth wen its cold and I have not ever smelled any kind of sweet smell inside...its a 94 gs300 stock engine and I just hit 150000 miles
Old 06-09-10, 07:30 AM
Aristoman
Driver

What if you smell a sweetish smell in the car? That doesn't mean you have a bhg. It could be that you have a coolant leak under the hood and it's being burned off. It's pretty hard to smell coolant in the exhaust unless you have a big leak in your head gasket
Old 06-09-10, 05:30 PM
pkware
Driver School Candidate

I would try getting a good quality radiator cap before you go further. Let your car sit overnight start it up with the cap off, make sure coolant is topped off and let it sit and idle with cap off. A little coolant might flow out of the radiator and that would be fine as long as its not pouring out. Oh and also make sure your a/c is off, let it idle till your cooling fans come on. When fans kick in coolant level should drop down, this indicates your thermostat is now open. After fans turn off, top off radiator, put the cap on then top off your overflow bottle. Remember do not raise rpm at any point during this process cause this will speed up water pump and push coolant out of your radiator. Now if you have done everything right in that order there should be no air is your system. Sometimes fans could take up to 30 mins to turn on so be patient. Try this and let me know what happens.
Old 06-09-10, 07:25 PM
YupImJOee
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by pkware
I would try getting a good quality radiator cap before you go further. Let your car sit overnight start it up with the cap off, make sure coolant is topped off and let it sit and idle with cap off. A little coolant might flow out of the radiator and that would be fine as long as its not pouring out. Oh and also make sure your a/c is off, let it idle till your cooling fans come on. When fans kick in coolant level should drop down, this indicates your thermostat is now open. After fans turn off, top off radiator, put the cap on then top off your overflow bottle. Remember do not raise rpm at any point during this process cause this will speed up water pump and push coolant out of your radiator. Now if you have done everything right in that order there should be no air is your system. Sometimes fans could take up to 30 mins to turn on so be patient. Try this and let me know what happens.
+1 that is possibly the best most clear instructions that you'll get.