GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Honest Opinions Appreciated. 5.7L LS1 or 3.0L 2JZ-GTE

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-10, 12:06 PM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Kaiser that is a great question...I will have to look into that. I was under the impression that the OBD port would be off of the engine harness and tied direct to the engine's ECU(GM) but I guess I need to double check that. Talking to the smog referee, he said that on paper putting a 2004 GTO LS1 into a 94 gs300 would be legal. He also did mention that the catalytic converters would need to be the LS1's. So I guess I've got some more research to do.
Old 07-28-10, 04:55 PM
2turbo4u
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

build it and leave it with me , no emissions ftw!
Old 07-29-10, 02:40 PM
Mr. BRM
Rookie

my opinion 2j all the way.

fact stock internals stock turbos usdm stock injectors and cam (auto) tranny safc = 430ish rwhp
easy. the only reason y I made the auto tranny distinction is because that is the only drawback. the auto tranny is the weakest link. since u are doing the 6 speed swap u should be knocking on a easy 700rwhp. that's just with bolt ons t6x turbo upgrade safc fmic fcd scd injectors etc.
reading through this thread I say a phrase that I thought i'd never hear on this forum especially not on this topic. "There is no replacement for displacement" when I had my shop it was common knowledge that there is a replacement for displacement "BOOST". mind u that is the 2¢ of a non-cali resident who will be runing straight pipes on my 2j swapped 1st gen gs. thanx
Old 07-29-10, 09:22 PM
443GS300
Driver School Candidate

2JZ-GTE Think about it your tlkn about swapping out of of the greatest engines in the import world to a LS1. Now dont get me wrong but seems a lil blasphemous to me. Might as well buy you a POS american car. Get the GTE swap and make a lot of power with not much hassle. Look at how many supras are killing V8's and how much money they are making. Keep it natural and Toyota. You see that toyota engines are capable of lasting 300,000 or better hell they dont break in till damn near 200 in the first place. Hell mine is damn near at 300,000 and running perfectly.
Old 07-30-10, 02:52 PM
kene
Lead Lap

Thank you guys for the extra info. Mr. Brm, to get a 2jzgte to that 430ish hp by today's standards do you have an idea of what it would cost to do it safely and properly? I am only asking as it seems you have been down this road a lot.
Old 07-31-10, 11:52 PM
twojayzee
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive done tons of swaps. Fact is that I have a 5.0HO in my 4runner. Its fun, but no one wants to buy it even though its super clean. I just did a tundra v8 swap into my FJ80 and I have people in parking lots walk up to me to ask whats done, and want to purchase it.

With that said, im on the fence. While I personally wouldnt purchase a LSX powered 1/2GS I probably would build one just to say i've done it.
Old 08-01-10, 09:30 AM
Kaiser
Racer

How much for the 4runner?
Old 08-11-10, 07:03 AM
Mr. BRM
Rookie

Originally Posted by kene
Thank you guys for the extra info. Mr. Brm, to get a 2jzgte to that 430ish hp by today's standards do you have an idea of what it would cost to do it safely and properly? I am only asking as it seems you have been down this road a lot.
First off safely and properly is relative to what your local government expects and sets as law (Mr. BRM is not nor will be a resident of california. with that said parts wise the 6speed swap is around 5500-6000 on tiger. however I noticed they have a 5spd swap selling for around 3k plus shipping of course. single turbo upgrade (optional cuz i've seen good numbers with the stock turbos) around 600 whatever guages u want. I recommend a wideband a/f gauge (little more expensive but helps when street or dyno tuning. safc of your choice (i have an extra safc II black that i'm selling for 300 +paypal and shipping negotiable). stock injectors will do the job but that's just about maxing them out so if u could find a set of usdm stock injectors u will be good for about 500- 540 or so. a nice clutch to put the power to the ground. or just send it to me i'll have my lawyer read up on cali laws do the swap and have u right (kicking down the 500rwhp door) in about a month- a month and a half (if I have all the parts available).
Old 08-11-10, 10:04 AM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

I feel like a blasphemer for saying this, but I'd go LS1 if you plan to keep the car.

I've driven cars with both engines and while I have not personally 'owned' either to mod, my good friends from home do, so I have fairly good idea of the economies necessary to mod these engines. I've driven the LS1 and LS2 in GTOs and Corvettes (LS1, C5), had a 2jz-ge NA-T setup, and driven SCs with 1j and 2j swaps.

Both engine types have the ability to make great working power throughout the entire band depending on mods, but as far as affordability and upkeep of components, the LS1 takes it IMO. LS1s are FAR more affordable to mod than LS2s and there are more components out for them because the engine has been in production longer.

Also there is a greater level of reliability for an NA car versus a boosted car (to try an forestall an argument here, I know this is a very variable statement depending on upkeep of the vehicle, level and quality of mods, and driving style) which would be why LS1 wins over 2jz-gte, again IMO. In any boosted setup, there are just more 'parts' that have the opportunity to fail.

As to losing value on a resale, we all know we won't be making back the money we put into vehicles, but putting an American engine into a Japanese car would, I think, make projected future value for the car go down simply because people would know that its a lot of custom work and would not have a baseline besides your word and some receipts that it was done right. BUT this doesn't mean that the 2jz-gte swap is preferable in this instance either because the base value for a 1GS is so low that no matter what swap goes in, the market value won't really rise or reflect the engine nor quality of the swap.

So again, my opinion is LS1. If I could go back in time, this is what I would have done.
Old 08-21-10, 08:00 AM
afracer
Driver

2JZ any day over LS1, if you did an Aristo swap you could have it running in only a couple days with very little hidden costs...with LS1 you've got a LOT of custom work and hidden $$ costs you don't even know about. Aristo 2J's go for $1700-1800 with free shipping, you can't beat that and most people around the US would still have no clue why it's so fast...it's fun to brag that it's just the stock 3.0 L 6 cylinder (for a Japanese model of course).
Old 08-21-10, 08:08 AM
BoostedSC3
Rookie

whats your goal?? as far as easy swap? the aristo wins.. from the cool factor its cammed LS1 all day long, call me unbiased. I've owned both, love my JZ's but they don't pull like a 500hp LSx.. its power band and tuning a 500hp LS will pull a 500hp jz all day due to the broadness of the power band and this thing called torque.

To the guy who had the "shop" and i use that term loosely who knew turbo's could replace displacement, You can't replace something with something they can have too.. The LS1 is boosted as much as the JZ.

Lets look at fact's. I made 700hp on a stock bottom end LS1 for 2 years. It's all gunna come down to what you want and who you have tune it.

Mike
Old 08-22-10, 01:44 PM
Mr. BRM
Rookie

Originally Posted by BoostedSC3
whats your goal?? as far as easy swap? the aristo wins.. from the cool factor its cammed LS1 all day long, call me unbiased. I've owned both, love my JZ's but they don't pull like a 500hp LSx.. its power band and tuning a 500hp LS will pull a 500hp jz all day due to the broadness of the power band and this thing called torque.

To the guy who had the "shop" and i use that term loosely who knew turbo's could replace displacement, You can't replace something with something they can have too.. The LS1 is boosted as much as the JZ.

Lets look at fact's. I made 700hp on a stock bottom end LS1 for 2 years. It's all gunna come down to what you want and who you have tune it.

Mike
I suppose u are referring to me and my "shop" I do understand that many of the muscle heads are learning how to turbo there cars I applaud them. however, if boost wasn't one of the great equalizers then y are there 1.6- 2.2 liter engines walking all over 4.6+ motors. u stated u put down 700 on your stock bottom end like that is special. 2j's do that all day and some. I do agree the lsx does have a wider powerband due to no turbo lag but the 2j with power is scary fast. i'm gonna tell u like I tell my co-workers "just cuz u drive your car fast doesn't mean u drive a fast car."
Old 08-23-10, 03:44 PM
BoostedSC3
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mr. BRM
I suppose u are referring to me and my "shop" I do understand that many of the muscle heads are learning how to turbo there cars I applaud them. however, if boost wasn't one of the great equalizers then y are there 1.6- 2.2 liter engines walking all over 4.6+ motors. u stated u put down 700 on your stock bottom end like that is special. 2j's do that all day and some. I do agree the lsx does have a wider powerband due to no turbo lag but the 2j with power is scary fast. i'm gonna tell u like I tell my co-workers "just cuz u drive your car fast doesn't mean u drive a fast car."

who are you vin diesel? why is it possible 1.6's walk on 4.6+'s?? sir anything is possible with the right amount of money spent. What is your definition of a fast car? I didn't state what my car did for a pat on the back, I stated it for fact of hings i've personally done while 90% of people on the interwebs brag about things they read some guy did this one time. I was able to go well over 130 in the 1320 on pump gas and i wasn't leaning on it hard. But it wasn't a 2j with power so it must not have been scary fast.

Muscle heads are learning to boost huh? really? we've been doing it since the 80's.

But lets get back to facts.. The OP needs to do to his car whatever will make him happy, There is NO replacement for displacement( or there wouldn't be stroker kits for 2j's)

and you seem to be pretty good at making toretto like quotes..

Mike
Old 08-24-10, 02:40 AM
Mr. BRM
Rookie

i'm also just talking fact my 2j isn't tuned yet and iam at 380's@ 12 psi. I agree with the right money u can make yugo fly. but I do know for a fact this thread is just about siding with what u like. besides its agreed that with th right money u can get either motor to do what u want except get u a beer.
Old 08-24-10, 08:32 AM
kene
Lead Lap

I appreciate your all opinions...I am still going back and forth on this, but all the information laid out is helping.

Thank you all.