GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Honest Opinions Appreciated. 5.7L LS1 or 3.0L 2JZ-GTE

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-10, 08:04 AM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Honest Opinions Appreciated. 5.7L LS1 or 3.0L 2JZ-GTE

I was looking at the LS1 swap for my gs300. It seems very attainable, a whole donor car working can be obtained for 3,500$ - 4,000$. And from about idle the power is there(no waiting for boost). and also with a 6-speed T-56 transmission, 28 mpg is attainable @ ~ 60 mph(with stock power ratings, and babying the motor). With only exhaust and cams the LS1 can attain around 400hp-415hp without an intake. Cams cost 350$, and custom exhaust about the same. Parts are much cheaper and are everywhere in this country. Installation is not as plug and play as the 2jzgte (Aristo), but still very easy when compared to other engine harness creations/ mods.(would plan to make it so that the factory engine harness is left in tact untouched) And I spoke with the smog referee here in california and he said that this swap is legal, if done proper. But if I ever want to sell it, what is the likelihood that someone will be interested in a lets say a 600 hp, VIP, GS that's powered by an American engine? This may be a total beast on the fun factor, but is it a complete waist of funds come time to sell it? Would I lose less money if I had a 2jzgte in car cause it is original?

With the 2jzgte, I keep it original and in the Toyota family and its twin turbo(may be a strong selling point a few years later). On the negative side though just because it is associated with the supra everything is waaay overpriced. some very nice upgrades from japan are not as easily available and are a hefty price tag too. for a stock 2jzgte engine with the Getrag 6 speed tranny its around 5,000$(absolute lowest I've seen-Ebay) - 7,500$. for this price I can just about get 2-LS1 motor and tranny sets. But are very strong engines, but it is known hands down that the 2jzgte is bullet proof. this swap can be smog legal if my donor motor came from a 94 or newer supra that had EGR(I feel certain that the aristo can be modded to have an EGR valve )

I spoke to a gentleman that is on these forums and he had a point about the importance of originality with these cars. I have a two tone 94 gs300, which he says is in great condition and is rare to come by. I love the simplicity of all motor, but as he put it "Why ruin the Mona Lisa by trying to make it look better". Plus I want to hit the 500-600hp mark and I am afraid of breaking the bank with the 2jzgte.

With all this stuff said, what are your opinions?
Old 07-27-10, 08:30 AM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tough choices and you pointed out all the apparent issues but i vote ls1, imagine how it will sound and feel that right there should be your thought
Old 07-27-10, 09:20 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Another vote for LS-1 here. I like it because you'd be the only guy to have that setup. Also, I believe that the GTE swap is not smog legal in CA. As far as being able to sell it down the line, that's probably an area where you need to find the right buyer regardless of which swap you do. One glance at the blue book values of these cars would be enough to convince me to do whichever swap I wanted to do and not worry about keeping it original. I think some 2GS guys have done this swap.
Old 07-27-10, 10:38 AM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are building a track car, by all means go LS1 or LT1.
Opening another can of worms:
LS1 = lighter, more power in stock form
LT1 = more torque, way cheaper to mod

I am no Chevy-head to state this but this is what I hear from Chevy-heads here at work all the time and both parties seem to agree (Camaro/Firebird/Trans AM owners vs Corvette owners). I would DEFINITELY research both engines before committing to a motorset. I know a lot of people jump into LS1's because they are lighter and leave the engines pretty much stock. On a bigger/heavier chassis like a GS, I would definitely get the V8 that would be easier and cheaper to build to produce more torque.

Again, I haven't done any kind of research besides hearing conversations about both engines and their pros and cons. These are just my .02.
Old 07-27-10, 02:08 PM
slammd_gs3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ls1 is the way to go.Plenty available,parts are cheaper,and lots of power.
Old 07-27-10, 02:19 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 72 Posts

LS-1 FTW man

by the way a few guys have done it in the 2nd gen's....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-fun-pics.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-fun-pics.html

a vendor or ex vendor on here (i think they gone) DGR used to make mount kits im sure they could make one for the 1st gen

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...available.html

also has a ebay account u could try and reach him out

http://stores.ebay.com/DGR-Fabrication
Old 07-27-10, 03:31 PM
vtec-this
Lead Lap

i have thought about doin the same swap my self only cause a few of my good friends have modded ls1 powered cars and they are badass to say the lest......i say go for it!!! better yet go with the 6.0 outta a gto i belive thos are ls2 but whatever "no replacement for displacement"!!! lol
Old 07-27-10, 05:55 PM
2turbo4u
Lexus Test Driver

lsx something different!
Old 07-27-10, 06:49 PM
kene
Lead Lap

I appreciate all the info. Thank You guys...

Now Kidzik has me thinking about LT1 vs LS1..I will really look into this.
I'll post what I find.

Last edited by kene; 07-27-10 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-27-10, 06:55 PM
VIP_Dreamz
Lead Lap

ls1 is nice but when it comes time to sell it, don't think it would be worth much as a 2jzgte project. sure the ls1 is a v8. just remember the 2jzgte is much easier to work on then a v8. and you can't always go wrong with a boosted motor right? if you put cams and work into the 2jzgte you can make big power as well. the 2jzgte is known to handle up to 1000hp on stock internals.
Old 07-27-10, 07:14 PM
plkyone
Lead Lap

LS1 for easy power it just mite affect the resale but i think if ur building if for fun it wont matter!
Old 07-27-10, 07:39 PM
kene
Lead Lap

I hear ya VIP_Dreamz, but what gets me is that im afraid in the future that no one will pay 8k-9k for a 2jzgte gs300. And when considering that, I'm thinking maybe I shold just go for the "Frankenstein" setup and try an LS1. I feel confident in saying that "reasonably priced" aftermarket parts will be built for the next 15 years for this motor in this country.

After asking around today I think I've set my Hp & Trq goals around 450HP and maybe 400 ft-lbs.So from what I understand on an LS1 it doesn't seem to take too many dollars to get here. although i'm assuming, for a 2jzgte I believe a few parts would need to be changed, and I worry that price is high because of association with the supra.
Old 07-27-10, 08:49 PM
ProjektS13
Driver

While the Ls1 swap is legal to do the problem lies on the headers, cant use custom headers they have to be carb legal.

Alot of people run Ls1's in 240's and a few have tried to get the carb legal sticker issued by the referee but the problem is that in order to clear everything you need custom headers. And since the headers are custom they are not legal.

So if the Ls1 stock headers or (CARB Legal) aftermarket headers clear in a 1Gs then your golden.

Or you could just get GM's E-rod kit, its a LS3 50 state legal swap that comes with almost everything. Only problem is that its like 8-9k lol

Last edited by ProjektS13; 07-27-10 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-28-10, 07:15 AM
Kaiser
Racer

Here in AZ the OBD II port has to come back clean. Nothing else matters. With 2 ECU's does the OBD II work properly?
Old 07-28-10, 08:23 AM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, OBDII if your car is 96+. My brothers sr20'd 240 passes emissions since he is on the rollers; people on 96+ 240's are having more difficulties passing emissions since the OBDII plug doesn't work and ADQ is getting more training on spotting 'illegal' engine swaps... like LS1's on RX7's lol

Quick Reply: Honest Opinions Appreciated. 5.7L LS1 or 3.0L 2JZ-GTE