GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

HELP ME Mod my 94 GS300

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-10, 11:24 PM
94gsloverz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP ME Mod my 94 GS300

what are some easy mods...without opening the motor...any suggestions????
Old 10-13-10, 12:25 AM
KingpiN.SC
Pole Position

Some basic mods... get your car looking clean, and running a little better than before.

* = Easy to install.
** = Slightly involved, but you can get the job done if you have the right tools, know how to use a wrench, and have common sense.
*** = Advanced. If you haven't had any experience or don't feel 100% comfy, you should probably have someone else install it for you.

- Suspension **
- Rims *
- Exhaust System *
- Intake System *
- COMPLETE tune-up. (If you haven't done one in a while, it can really wake the car up!) *
- Tint (not really a "mod", but I am a huge fan..)

Advanced Mods:

- Bolt-On turbo kit (don't have to open the motor for that one unless you want to hit ~450-500hp.. then you'll need a thicker head gasket at minimum.) Expect somewhere around 300hp to the wheels with a basic kit. ***

Hope that is what you were looking for.. Read through the 1GS forums a bit.. The search function is your friend.
Old 10-13-10, 12:36 AM
Supremeg56
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great suggestions I always hear on here that you dont have to do any mods with a bolt on turbo kit you just set it up and run it?? and if so do you or anyone else have any good suggestions on buying a kit Im looking to do something new to my car motor wise and would love to go turbo any help or even over all pricing if anyone knows is awesome

and as far as horsepower not looking for major gains its my daily driver really just want it for the feel and the noise lol sounds kiddish i know but maybe later on i'll venture into the big boy ranges

OK... so i just saw another thread talking about xspowerkit and driftmotion Im leaning more towards driftmotion but cant seem to find there all in one turbo kit price instead of ordering them peice by piece

lmao ok nevermind finally found it

Last edited by Supremeg56; 10-13-10 at 01:02 AM.
Old 10-14-10, 03:23 AM
KingpiN.SC
Pole Position

FYI, I've had great luck with godspeed aka Fatboy Garage in CA. Their turbo manifolds, turbos, and blow off valves are actually not too shabby, and you can negotiate prices with them over the phone. I would steer clear of any oil lines and/or fittings they sell, and go with high quality units. I would also get a high quality wastegate. I have heard horror stories...

Of course, that is only if you plan on going turbo...
Old 10-14-10, 10:06 PM
Supremeg56
Pole Position

lol thanks for the heads up turbo is definetly in my future maybe in 3-4 months just gotta get sorted i want to do everything right the first time but i think im going to order from dirftmotion
Old 10-15-10, 01:18 AM
KingpiN.SC
Pole Position

I have talked to the owner and ordered products from driftmotion for my single turbo conversion. He is a really nice guy, and will definitely take care of you. Shipping was ridiculously fast too!
Old 10-15-10, 10:07 PM
Supremeg56
Pole Position

ok so on the driftmotion site for the NA-T setup it says AR of Exhaust housing with some choices .58AR, .70AR,.84AR, no turbo included, out of those choices how do i know which one is the correct one for my 96 gs300

This should be my final question on this subject as far as ordering is concerned lol I posted in another thread but nobody seems to answer that one :{
Old 10-16-10, 12:29 AM
KingpiN.SC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Supremeg56
ok so on the driftmotion site for the NA-T setup it says AR of Exhaust housing with some choices .58AR, .70AR,.84AR, no turbo included, out of those choices how do i know which one is the correct one for my 96 gs300

This should be my final question on this subject as far as ordering is concerned lol I posted in another thread but nobody seems to answer that one :{
No worries! If you are running a stock motor, want it to be a daily driver (extremely streetable), and only want somewhere around 300-500hp, then you would probably want to go for the .58AR turbine. I have the GTE motor, and am actually planning to downsize from a .68 to a .58AR.

I currently get full boost around 4k rpm with the .68, and with the .58, I should be making full boost by ~3,500 rpm. In the long run, I will be able to make the same amount of HP (~500hp at the wheels), and improve the responsiveness of the car overall.

Hope that helps.. and remember, I am by no means an expert on the subject. Just stating my overall experiences.
Old 10-16-10, 11:48 PM
Supremeg56
Pole Position

KingPin I commend you you've helped a lot I should be ordering my kit in about a month very happy that I'm getting it sooner then later thanks to you just have one more question if you don't mind I saw on eBay here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3765&viewitem=

This kit for a lot cheaper then driftmotion would this fit my car and would you or anyone personally buy this or should I put it together piece by piece I would love to get the GodSpeed FMt but that's the all in one package and yes I did read the disclaimer on the bottom lmao but for any future kits on eBay is what I'm referring to really
Old 10-17-10, 01:03 AM
BigRek718
Driver School Candidate

KingPin I commend you you've helped a lot I should be ordering my kit in about a month very happy that I'm getting it sooner then later thanks to you just have one more question if you don't mind I saw on eBay here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3765&viewitem=

This kit for a lot cheaper then driftmotion would this fit my car and would you or anyone personally buy this or should I put it together piece by piece I would love to get the GodSpeed FMt but that's the all in one package and yes I did read the disclaimer on the bottom lmao but for any future kits on eBay is what I'm referring to really

From what i heard, those ebay kits are worthless, that you go through manifolds like boxers and the turbos fall apart like legos...
Old 10-17-10, 01:10 PM
KingpiN.SC
Pole Position

I am running a Godspeed manifold, per the recommendation from a friend of mine. When I went to their facility to pick it up, I noticed that the quality definitely exceeded any of my expectations. I pieced together the whole single-turbo conversion for my GTE, and even used their turbo, as it was around $150, and great for test fitting purposes. Funny enough, I am still using their turbo and it has been treating me really well thus far. I'd still recommend getting a proper turbo for the long haul, and I am doing some shopping for one as I type this! lol. Looking towards the comp CT4-6262 unit.

http://www.compturbo.com/products/in...oduct=CT4-6262

mmmmmmm...

I would highly suggest calling Godspeed vs purchasing over the internet, as they will give you better pricing over the phone vs. what you would get on their website.. They will also be able to tell you more about the kit and let you piece together an order. Chances are, the more you get, the better the discount... And don't be afraid to haggle with them.. haha. Remember, stay away from the oil line kits. I would order those from driftmotion or another high quality online store.

Godspeed: (626)442-3988

P.S. They do have warranties on most (if not all) of their products.
Old 10-17-10, 03:51 PM
Supremeg56
Pole Position

Thanks to everybody that's posted towards my noob questions the past few days I'll be sticking with the driftmotion kit as my final decision and probably give Godspeed a call for there front mount kit to see what I can haggle once again kingpin and bigrek good looks on everything can't wait to join the 1st gen gs300 turbo community lol
Old 10-18-10, 10:37 PM
KingpiN.SC
Pole Position

Thanks to everybody that's posted towards my noob questions the past few days I'll be sticking with the driftmotion kit as my final decision and probably give Godspeed a call for there front mount kit to see what I can haggle once again kingpin and bigrek good looks on everything can't wait to join the 1st gen gs300 turbo community lol
Very nice! Definitely get some pics up once you get the kit!! If you have any install questions, don't hesitate to ask!
Old 10-31-10, 08:33 PM
afracer
Driver

The Ebay turbo manifolds are fine, just make sure all your exhaust hangers are THERE and in good shape and that will help keep it from cracking. I'd recommend sending it to get Jet Hot coated (or similar thermal coating) as that will also help keep it from cracking. I have a couple Ebay manifolds (1JZ, SR20) and have never had any crack on me or give me problems other than having to do some cleanup on them at first. You should become a member on clubna-t.com if you plan to turbo, lots of good info over there.

If you are going to turbo a 96 or newer GS300, you'll need to be able to add more fuel to tune it with either a stand alone ECU or piggy back, but when you do this on a 96 or newer model, which has OBDII, you'll need a oxygen sensor simulator in the rear most O2 sensor port otherwise you won't be able to tune it properly. Also if you plan to run over 320-350 hp which is REALLY easy to do with a turbo kit on these cars, you'll want bigger fuel injectors and I've read that when you do this you want to use a 93-95 (OBDI) lower intake manifold but I can't remember why right now, I read about it on clubna-t.

Also, if you are going to turbo a 96-97 I wouldn't try to put down too much power due to the transmission. The A350E is an odd ball unlike the A340 it seems to be a common fail point in the 96-97's. Even the A340 will have trouble taking much over 350 hp, but a lot of the internals swap over between the two and I have no doubt Boost Logic or Level 10 or some of the other Toyota specialty shops could build a tougher A350 but it's not cheap.

The best advice was the first reply in this thread. Get your car in tip top shape first, then worry about power adders. We bought our GS300 like 3 years ago and have found a lot of crap wrong with it (clogged cat, warped rotors, bad ball joints, lazy/weak trans, cracked radiator, broken cup holder, worn shocks, in desparate need of a tune up, etc), just fixing the jacked up stuff and getting it running/stopping like it should has made the car a blast to drive and 100 times better than it was.

Although if you want to do mods to get it running better, I'd start first with a K&N air filter and free flowing exhaust, some LS400 or Supra MKIV brakes, and then suspension/ wheels/tires.
Old 11-02-10, 12:28 AM
94gsloverz
Driver School Candidate

when you ls400 brake...you mean the entire set up? i already have cross-drilled and slotted all around. are the ls rotors and calipers bigger?