GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Anyone got pics of the shaved tie rod bolt to fit LS400 bbk?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-11, 04:21 PM
Matt300ZXT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone got pics of the shaved tie rod bolt to fit LS400 bbk?

Just curious about how much you have to grind down. I am probably picking up a 93 with Supra brakes but the owner wants to keep those and have me install my LS400 kit. I've been reading they go on ok, but when ya hit bumps they rub against the tie rod bolt and just wondering if anyone has pics of how much they had to shave down, as I don't really wanna cut on my calipers.
Old 02-05-11, 08:38 PM
timywong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do not cut into the calipers... not even a good option.
Shaving down the tie rod bolt is not even that great of an idea either. But if you must, just do it until it clears. There is a pic floating around here of the shaved bolt.
im working on making RCAs to drop the lower ball joint to clear the bolt.
Old 05-11-11, 05:17 PM
Globalinx
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

as I mentioned in my previous post, my shop had ordered a set of Supra TT front callipers, and was sent a set of what appear to be LS400 callipers instead. I am kind of running out of options here, as the shop cannot get me the TT callipers and claims that the ones they got are listed as the TT breaks at their suppliers'. I know they are full of s%^&, and/or they do not know what they are doing. (This only happens in Canada) So now I have an option to send the wrong parts back and keep on hunting for TT callipers, or I could keep the LS400 ones and try to install those.

Originally Posted by timywong
Do not cut into the calipers... not even a good option.
Shaving down the tie rod bolt is not even that great of an idea either. But if you must, just do it until it clears. There is a pic floating around here of the shaved bolt.
im working on making RCAs to drop the lower ball joint to clear the bolt.
I am thinking of cutting the bolt. Why do you say its not a good idea? Does the tie-rod still move and hit the calliper during hard bumps, if only a small gap left between them? ( I track the car sometimes, so this is important) Or any gap is safe? Can I also just get away by cutting the bolt without shaving the calliper? I have looked at some pics here, but can not make out how much clearance is safe.
Old 05-13-11, 07:52 AM
afracer
Driver

We did the brake upgrade like 3 years ago on our daily driver and haven't had a single problem other than squealing pads that I swapped with quieter ones. It's not a lot that you have to grind away, not enough IMO to make it 'unsafe' in any way. Just don't go overboard and do a little at a time until it fits and then stop.
Old 05-15-11, 10:58 PM
justmedave
Driver School Candidate

I'm with not shaving anything! If your driving your jzs at stock ride height you aint doing it right . So if your dropped you need them anyways RCA's are the only way to go. I got my set shipped to my door for under $100 from a guy on another jzs147 fan site. I don't know if I can give link to lazy to read any forum rules I rely on common sense so pm me if you want site and username.Pictures of his set way cheaper then nightpagers jzs161 set