GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Finally bought a GS :) I have 2 questions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-11, 01:20 PM
LexISGS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally bought a GS :) I have 2 questions?

Hey everyone, I finally purchased my first GS300
I also have a 5spd IS300
I've been on this forum 4 years ago and finally found a decent one, actually a fantastic one!!! Always loved the 1st Gen GS but everyone I saw had too many km's and were in poor condition here in Toronto, Canada.

It's a 1995 with 56,000km!! Yes 56,000 original km, not miles, and that's not a typo. It's silver with grey interior, and in mint condition. One owner, all original paint, no accidents, no water in the trunk, no water leaking in the rear windows and the cup holder works! This car doesn't have a scratch on it. The headlights are crystal clear, etc. Never winter driven and always garage kept. I'm really happy to have this car

I don't have insurance on it yet and it's stored at my cousins for the next little while until I am ready to get it insured and ready to go. I will post pics soon too.

I don't want to do much to it since I'd like to make it my daily driver. I'm just gonna tint the windows, install a double din maybe, lower it and get rims.

I've been on the forum searching for the past years and alot the past few days. I have 2 questions if I could get some input.

1) Since the shocks only have 56k on them, I'm thinking of lowering it 1" with eibach springs. Would this look alot better then stock? Or would I just be wasting my $ and be better off lowering it about 1.8" with Teins?

2) I found some GS400 rims, 5 star 17x8. I like how they look too. Fitment wise, would these actually look good? I know alot of people recommend them, but would they sit flush, or would they stick out passed the fenders and look stupid? Would the rears look stupid too since I would love to put staggered 18s on the car, cuz the wheel well in the rear looks big.

Please let me know what you guys think
Old 03-14-11, 10:48 AM
CHASER4LIF
Driver

I think you should meet at square one and let me give you money for the car.in return I need owner ship and key with the fob.so I can swap in my GTE motor..joking ..let's meet up.help u get some suspension
Old 03-14-11, 12:35 PM
LexISGS300
Driver School Candidate

Lol. I'm definitely down for a meet. Are there gta meets regularly?
Unfortunately, this GS will not get boost
That's what my IS300 will be for soon
Old 03-15-11, 03:06 PM
hsegovia
Driver School Candidate

I would opt for the teins in my opinion. 1" isn't much lower at all. I know you aren't going for an aggressive low stance or big flashy wheels cause that's exactly what my wife wanted out of her car. There is a set of oem gs430 wheels that look great that come in 18's. The factory wheels that come on alot of the newer Lexus cars would look great especially with the teins or the Tanabe df210 springs get good reviews as well.
Old 03-15-11, 06:11 PM
Lexatlast
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexISGS300
I've been on the forum searching for the past years and alot the past few days. I have 2 questions if I could get some input.

1) Since the shocks only have 56k on them, I'm thinking of lowering it 1" with eibach springs. Would this look alot better then stock? Or would I just be wasting my $ and be better off lowering it about 1.8" with Teins?

2) I found some GS400 rims, 5 star 17x8. I like how they look too. Fitment wise, would these actually look good? I know alot of people recommend them, but would they sit flush, or would they stick out passed the fenders and look stupid? Would the rears look stupid too since I would love to put staggered 18s on the car, cuz the wheel well in the rear looks big.

Please let me know what you guys think
Welcome to the 1GS family!

To answer some of your questions from my own experience, I had Tanabe DF210 lowering springs and loved where it put my car. I was at first concerned that it would be too far, but it was perfect IMO. Low enough to be respectable with some nice wheels, and high enough where I didn't scrape everywhere. (Pictures in link in sig). I would go with something lower than the Eibachs. Also, putting any lowering spring on stock struts will make them go out earlier, but if they are in good condition, you could probably roll around on them for a while before needing to get new struts. When you eventually do, I liked the KYB GR-2s with the Tanabe springs.

Next, the 5 star 17x8 GS400 wheels will not stick out of your wheel wells at all, either front or rear. I'm pretty sure they would be woefully concave inside the wheel wells. Lots of people run pretty large diameter and width wheels to fill those areas. My setup was 19x8.5/19x9.5 (+35 all around) staggered wheels that fit with ZERO FENDER WORK with a little room to spare for really aggressive fitment. I've always considered the perfect size for wheels on our GS to be no less that 18" and no more than 20" depending on how much the car has been dropped and the car's purpose (daily driving, track, VIP, etc).

Thats all the advice I've got for you aside from search around, ask more questions, and be happy regardless of what anyone may say.

Best of luck!

AND I DEMAND PICTURES!
Old 03-15-11, 07:55 PM
LexISGS300
Driver School Candidate

Awesome. Great advice. Pics will come soon.
I can't wait to get it onto the road.
My mind is made up. 18s for sure. No point going from 16s to 17s. My is300 looks perfect with 18s and it's a smaller car.
And 18s with low profile tires would probably leave alot of wheel gap on a 1" eibach drop. So 1.8" sounds good.
I'll update this thread once I get pics and mod along. Light mods only though for this car... I hope