GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Losing coolant

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-11, 10:32 PM
mccalj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losing coolant

I have a 93 GS 300 with 154K miles on it. Bought it at 149K. Since then, it has overheated on me twice. It has a new radiator. I can smell coolant inside the car at times, but outside as well. No leaks are to be found. The resevoir cap seems to leak, but nothing major. There are no signs of a leak on the passenger floor board as far as the heater coil. The car is in great shape for its year and I have all intentions of keeping it, but need to find out where the coolant is going. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 04-02-11, 05:38 PM
mak89
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess a radiator leak down test wouldn't hurt
Old 04-02-11, 09:20 PM
SadKamper
Driver School Candidate

Check your Engine Oil bro, that's probably the causing to over it, If you need an oil change, or have in the wrong oil because the inside parts of the engine creating soo much friction causing it to heat up high.
Old 04-03-11, 05:02 PM
LexISGS300
Driver School Candidate

Head gasket?
Old 04-03-11, 06:32 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any smoke out the exhaust and if so what color?
Old 04-05-11, 10:00 PM
mccalj
Driver School Candidate

It shouldn't be the radiator since when I bought it they said it was new.
Old 04-05-11, 10:04 PM
mccalj
Driver School Candidate

I just changed the oil. I also made sure it was the correct type. However, I did change the radiator cap. The resevoir was bubbling before I did when hot. It doesn't do it anymore but still leaks out the top. The cap to the resevoir isn't supposed to have play in it does it. It will snap on, but it's not tight. Does the cap have a rubber groment or seal underneath?
Old 04-05-11, 10:07 PM
mccalj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BCP43002
Any smoke out the exhaust and if so what color?
Im new to this, so give me a chance to get familiar with everything. I have no smoke coming out of the exhaust.
Old 04-05-11, 10:10 PM
mccalj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LexISGS300
Head gasket?
I'm not real familiar with head gaskets, but from what all was saying, I don't think, or I hope, it's not that. The resevoir cap is still leaking and I replaced the radiator cap.
Old 04-05-11, 10:12 PM
mccalj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mak89
Guess a radiator leak down test wouldn't hurt
When I bought the car, I was told a new radiator was put in by Lexus last year.
Old 04-06-11, 06:47 PM
BCP43002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does the top radiator hose get hot? If not your thermostat is stuck closed causing the overheating.
Old 04-07-11, 05:46 AM
freshmoney
Driver

mines overheated this morning(same issues bubbling in reservoir )..... i just installed my rad 4 months ago..... new cap, and hoses. i i think my thermostat is stuck closed gonna change it later...... keep you up dated
Old 04-07-11, 09:33 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mccalj
I'm not real familiar with head gaskets, but from what all was saying, I don't think, or I hope, it's not that. The resevoir cap is still leaking and I replaced the radiator cap.
Head gasket failure is common on these cars. People used to say it never happened, but that was before the cars were 15+ years old. Does your overflow reservoir go bone dry, but you have coolant in the rest of the system?

There's a tough place to see at the back of the head and block, but that's a common place for a coolant leak. There's a hose back there for the heating system and I had that replaced hoping it was the source of the leak. It had been leaking, but I also had a leak at the back of the head/block from the head gasket. The gaskets corrode. Sometimes, the block will corrode too. Mine didn't. I got lucky.

My head gasket was done for a few months, but the car never overheated, so I kept driving it. One morning, it just let go completely and there was a strong coolant smell in the exhaust. The point of all this is people will tell you to check for coolant in the oil and that's correct, but you still may have a bad head gasket even if you don't see coolant in the oil yet. My personal opinion is your head gasket is the problem.
Old 04-07-11, 10:50 AM
freshmoney
Driver

i just replaced my thermostat with one from advanced auto part. i haven't tested the old one yet to see if it was bad but it looked pretty old. I refilled coolant levels. and the car is not over heating. after first it did overheat but i had some air in the system. i ran the car with heater on high and cap off for about 5 mins. after that it returned to a little over half. i think i still have air in my system becuase it used to run just under half normally....
Old 04-07-11, 01:56 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Yeah, the tip we got was to jack the front of the car up to help bleed the air out of the cooling system. Do everything you just did, but with the front of the car on jackstands.

Quick Reply: Losing coolant