GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300
View Poll Results: Is another forum for 1st gen. GS owners a good idea?
Yes, we need a separate forum
86.84%
No, we do not need a separate forum
13.16%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

1st Gen Guys and Moderators...

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-02 | 05:01 PM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

Default 1st Gen Guys and Moderators...

It has been brought up a few times and I would like to bring it up again...can we PLEASE have a separate Forum for the 1st Gen GS?

It seems that the first gen guys are second class citizens in many posts. Its almost like since we decided to, or were not able to purchase a GS4, we are not worth listening to. I know that this doesn't apply to every 2nd gen guy out there, but it is a real concern and is one of the reasons that I personally walked away from the board for a few months.

So...heres a poll, tell the world what you think...
Old 08-28-02 | 05:16 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Default Yeah sounds like a good idea..

I hear ya, Rico!

Regards,

Seize
Old 08-28-02 | 05:57 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah...I want to get rid of y'all!

J/K.

I think it is a good idea as most topics do not apply to both generations.

Late.
Old 08-28-02 | 06:06 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Default Re: 1st Gen Guys and Moderators...

Originally posted by Rico's Revenge
It seems that the first gen guys are second class citizens in many posts.
Can you be more specific? Are other members bad-mouthing 1st gen owners? I haven't seen it, but I don't read very many of the "1st gen" threads either.

Its almost like since we decided to, or were not able to purchase a GS4, we are not worth listening to.
Again, specific reference? At least from my point of view, I think you might feel "un-listened" to due to the low volume of replies, but consider that 1st gen-ers are a true minority here, so us 2nd gen-ers may not be able to help out, even though we may want to.

...can we PLEASE have a separate Forum for the 1st Gen GS?
I can see your argument, but at the same time, I think that us GS-ers should stick together; not part forums. Seems like everyone jumps at an opportunity to "hate" on the GS.

OTOH, concentrating your knowledge base into a singular forum may also help grow your neighborhood.

I'm sittin on the fence I guess.
Old 08-28-02 | 06:33 PM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

Thanks for your feed back DEX.

In response, let me say that when I read your request for specific examples, several threads immediately popped into my head where 1st gens were either bad-mouthed or ignored. However, I do not want to turn this into a finger-pointing session. This is supposed to be a POSITIVE thing and I would like to try to keep any animosity out.

I agree with your desire to present a unified front to support the GS and I am not saying that I will not interact on the "normal" GS forum. I am asking for a sub-forum specifically for the 1st Gen guys to talk with other 1st Gen guys (or anyone else who is a fan of the original). The 93-97 is extremely difficult to modify due to the lack of availability of mods, and this is true from the simple intake to the full blown turbos. Also, maintenance issues are different compared to the 98+.

I don't want to exclude anyone, just enhance the experience for the 93-97 CL members.

Thanks again for listening.

Todd
Old 08-28-02 | 07:06 PM
blue wax
Lead Lap

already posted the same question twice

so YEZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.......
I'm all for it

ask Ethan to make a small sub forum please

Old 08-28-02 | 08:15 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: Re: 1st Gen Guys and Moderators...

Originally posted by Dex
I think that us GS-ers should stick together; not part forums. Seems like everyone jumps at an opportunity to "hate" on the GS.
Well the 3rd gen SC and 4th gen SC have seperate forums and I think it makes it easier for both of us. Most other forums with cars of a bit more established heritage have seperated forums as well. www.MBWorld.org for instance, or even www.SupraForums.com . It's a convienience thing mainly, but will also provide more unity for the 1st gen GS300s.
Old 08-28-02 | 08:20 PM
bryanb124
Driver School Candidate

as the owner of a 99 I am not in your group of so-called second class citizens, but I do feel your pain...I definitely agree with you...for all intents and purposes you have a completely different car...

I belong to TTORA for my Toyota Tacoma...there is a completely different and seperate forum just for guys who have the old school Toyota Truck (the one with a solid front axle, not IFS)...the trucks look similar, but other than that they are completely different, from engine choices to trannys to suspension...so SO THEY HAVE THEIR OWN FORUM FOR THIS!!!

Good luck...hope you succeed....

Bryan
Old 08-28-02 | 11:42 PM
Rover
Pole Position

Default 1st Gen. Forum.

Todd, what's up?
Good idea, really good idea.
Everything you said is true and to the point.
Our cars are very much different from the 2 gen.GSs,
it would be nice to have our own forum.
Ethan, I know you are listening.
Regards.
Old 08-29-02 | 12:01 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

most of the time the first gen questions don't even get answered intime before 2nd gen owners post up so many questions that our questions are on the 2nd page. so no one looks at them.

i say 2 seperate forums
Old 08-29-02 | 10:35 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

Ethan (Static911)...thank you for closing the other thread before it got out of hand. There is an example of what I am getting at.

I know you are lurking this thread and I am trying to keep control of it in order to keep it positive. Also, please notice that there are more than just the 1st gen. guys responding. In my opinion, this is due to people just caring about Lexus as a whole. So, I would interpret that as meaning that the CL community as a whole would not find detriment due to a new sub-forum. If it comes down to it I would even volunteer to moderate it (did I say that???!!).

Thanks.

Todd
Old 08-29-02 | 10:42 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

What's with the "us" vs. "them" crap?

I haven't noticed that at all. I think it's a good suggestion but if it is going to **** people off I certainly am not going to fight for it. I'll still come here no matter what.

If there is some sort of rivalry going on, just name the online game and we can settle this the civilized way. Anyway, that's my take on it. Peace.
Old 08-29-02 | 11:22 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Pianoman72
What's with the "us" vs. "them" crap?
Hold on...its funny how all the 1st gen guys feel this way, but most of the 98+ guys don't see it. The reason why 98+ owners don't see it is because they can compare apples to apples, we cannot.

I'm also confused as to why anyone would be "pissed off" because of a specialized thread. Were there people mad because the "Club Meetings" forum was divided into 7 sub-forums? No, because the guys in New York are not interested in information about where the guys in Cali are meeting. (Thats not to say we don't want to see pics of the meets, so keep them coming!!)

The only argument against that I have seen is that people "hate" on GS owners and we need to stay united. We haven't asked for a separate forum, just a SUB-forum like the suspension and handling section. I own a GS period. I enjoy looking at every one of them I see regardless of GS3, 4 or 430. But a GS430 usually cannot talk to me about my '95 just like I can't usually talk to him about his GS430. As I said a few times, this is meant as a positive thing.

Todd
Old 08-29-02 | 12:25 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Todd, I was just remarking how the first thread started by alexamparo was closed right away and someone was claiming that he (alex) didn't have a right to decide what goes on here and that a seperate sub forum would create conflict. I was suprised by this, and thus my comment, "what's up with this?"

I don't feel this way at all; I understand that most of the guys here have 98+ cars and majority rules. That's all I was trying to say before.
Old 08-29-02 | 12:46 PM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

Sorry dude! I misunderstood your post. Thanks for the clarification and the feedback.

Todd

Quick Reply: 1st Gen Guys and Moderators...