GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

STUPID MOTOR! Will a motor from a '99 fit in a 93 without modification?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-11, 10:44 AM
gulleyman
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question STUPID MOTOR! Will a motor from a '99 fit in a 93 without modification?

May sound like a stupid question but I'm really miffed and can't think straight enough to filter my search in a way that will get the answer I'm looking for
My car was running great, then all of the sudden it would stall out and not start again until the next day. The next day it would start but would only run for a minute or so and then stall out after dumping a bunch of white smoke out the back.
Took it to a mechanic who told me it has really low compression on one of the cylinders. Says the engines toasted.
I found a guy on Craigslist that pulled a 2JZGE out of his '99 IS300 to drop in a GTE, says it runs great and comes with the tranny and ECU and it's cheap enough to consider taking on the project if the only other cost is my labor.
What do you guys think?
Old 04-21-11, 02:05 PM
Aristoman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the engine out of the IS is a VVTI unlike the engines in the MK1 gs300s. you might be able to make it work but i doubt its a PnP thing. if i were you i'd just buy a 2jzgte with the transmission and harness and do the swap. with the engine and everything that swap would prolly end up costing you 2500 or so
Old 04-22-11, 06:14 AM
bsepko
Driver School Candidate

http://www.attarco.com/index.php?mai...products_id=73

Here is a direct replacement for cheap.
Old 04-22-11, 07:43 AM
gulleyman
Rookie

Woa bsepko, great link! Just might have to do that, Unfortunately I already bought my wife another ride that she likes better so it looks like this GS is gonna have to go either way. I've really gotten attached to it though, hate to get rid of it, I suppose if I do the engine I'll be doing the next guy a favor
Old 04-22-11, 07:48 AM
bsepko
Driver School Candidate

Part it out and make other forum members happy.
Old 04-23-11, 08:27 PM
gulleyman
Rookie

Perhaps; a friend of mine told me today that it's possible the timing chain may have gotten off just a little and is causing the problem. I think I'll try that before I throw in the towel and part it out.
Old 04-25-11, 12:36 PM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

when was the last time you had your timing belt and tensioner(may be loose) replaced?
Old 04-26-11, 10:52 PM
gulleyman
Rookie

Probably never lol
Old 04-28-11, 09:04 AM
kene
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

real quick..

possible issues:

1) bad headgasket. (Do the headgasket test in the 13th post down)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...coolant-2.html
Buy the head gasket kit(comes with all gaskets, seals, etc for the head) for 101$ at rockauto.com)

2) timing belt with missing teeth, bad timing belt.. If running, can cause partial combustion whilst valves are still possibly open. leading to an improper burn/combustion and can lead to the white smoke you see.(time to replace timing belt and timing belt tensioner..might as well replace water pump, and check power steering pump. if steering pump is leaking, buy the steering pump gear and seal kit 13$ @ rockauto.com)

3) Bad piston rings.(72$ for a complete engine piston ring set at rockauto.com) Leads to low compression, and also leads to burning of oil (white smoke with slight blue-ish tint smoke coming out of the tail pipe). If the engine is the original engine with out ever having the piston rings changed, this could happen but I personally am not too confidant in this. I could be wrong but I think there should be at least 1-2 other rings that exhibit the same condition considering they are all the same age. If you are going to have them replaced, make sure to replace the connecting rod bearings as he will have to remove them to get access to the piston rings.

4) If there is a loud clanking noise that matches the rpm's of the motor you may have a spun/bad bearing. If this is this noise is occurring stop driving/starting the motor immediately. Take it to a mechanic for an inspection of the bottom end. If the mechanic is replacing the connecting rod bearings, you might as well have him replace the piston rings as he has easy access to them.

Hope this helps..
Old 04-29-11, 01:44 PM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even tough this has been answered before, the real answer is no. The wiring is a nightmare. The 99' motorset has the ECU in the engine compartment. This is enough to know how much wiring work is involved doing this swap.