GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

how much would it cost to lower a car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-02, 11:09 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much would it cost to lower a car?

ok guys i need a quick basic break down of a correctly lowered car. i'm getting some springs from someone so don't include the springs. just how much would it be to install and allign and fix the camber. also what are some good shocks and how much do they usually run for? Thanks guys. i'm finally gonna lower my rally car. LOL
Old 09-03-02, 11:12 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

Hey John,

A good shop will probably charge around $120 to install the springs. After you find a shop that can get your car on a lift, it will be another $100 for a 4-wheel alignment (that is because they always jack you on a lowered car).

However, since you asked about doing it right (shocks and springs)...

KYB shocks will cost you around $60.00 each and you can get them almost anywhere. If they don't have free installation, it won't be much and as long as they have your suspension apart, it doesn't matter if they replace the original springs or if they put your new ones on (see what I'm getting at?). If you plan on doing the whole thing, do it all at once and save some cash!

Todd
Old 09-03-02, 12:12 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

thanks bro.
Old 09-03-02, 12:46 PM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

Or you can do it the cheap way and put four fat chicks in your ride! LOL!!
Old 09-03-02, 04:52 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, that's definitely the cheapest way!

How much you going to lower it Jmai?
Old 09-03-02, 06:54 PM
blue wax
Lead Lap

Jmai,
let me know what excatley you gonna do.

I went to the shop and that's what they came up with:
for the eibach pro kit installed, plus wheel alignment and lights, they will charge me aprox 400 US $.

So now I might concider the bilstein shocks as well for an extra 260 $. ( same job)

The lowering should than be more then just the 3 cm, from the springs only, plus as the back of the car is a little up, have it straight.

I'll do that, I think

yezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 09-03-02, 07:36 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SPRING

WHAT UP, JOHN....

HOW'S EVERYTHING? U FINALLY GOING TO LOWER YR CAR?
DAMN, IT'S ABOUT TIME!!..HE.HE
WHAT TYPE OF SPRINGS/SHOCKS?

AFTER U LOWER UR CAR, OF COURSE, GET A 4-WHEEL ALIGNMENT THAT WILL COSTS U 100 BUCKS.

I KNOW THIS PLACE IN ALHAMBRA CALLED "GREG SOUNDS" ALONG VALLEY BLVD. CALL THEM UP....I PAID THEM 100 FR MINE AND THY ALSO INCLUDED THE FRONT/REAR CAMBER ADJUSTMENTS. IF UR NOT AWARE, OUR CARS HV ADJUSTABLE CAMBER FR BOTH FRONT AND REAR BUT U CAN ONLY ADJUST SO MUCH....MAYBE A FEW DEGREES. SEE IF THAT WORKS FIRST AND IF NOT, PURCHASE THOSE CAMBER KITS....WHICH WILL COSTS YOU AND ARM AND A LEG.!!!

MY TIRES HV EVEN WEAR ON ALL OF THEM. I'VE HD MY RIMS SINCE LATE LST YEAR......

LET ME KNOW, BRO....CALL ME UP.
Old 09-04-02, 02:16 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Rico's Revenge
Hey John,

A good shop will probably charge around $120 to install the springs. After you find a shop that can get your car on a lift, it will be another $100 for a 4-wheel alignment (that is because they always jack you on a lowered car).

However, since you asked about doing it right (shocks and springs)...

KYB shocks will cost you around $60.00 each and you can get them almost anywhere. If they don't have free installation, it won't be much and as long as they have your suspension apart, it doesn't matter if they replace the original springs or if they put your new ones on (see what I'm getting at?). If you plan on doing the whole thing, do it all at once and save some cash!

Todd
i heard KYB aren't that good. do you have personal experience with them??? how is the ride quality. i know i'm gonna lose ride quality but i'm willing to give that up for performance. Thanks again Todd
Old 09-04-02, 02:17 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Rico's Revenge
Or you can do it the cheap way and put four fat chicks in your ride! LOL!!
man you know how much food i gotta feed her to keep her nice and round. i rather just add some more subs for my trunk to lower the back of my car and just lower the front with springs and shocks. cut the cost in 1/2
Old 09-04-02, 02:18 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Pianoman72
LOL, that's definitely the cheapest way!

How much you going to lower it Jmai?
well considering my car looks like a rally car. i guess what ever (undecided shocks) and eigther eiback 1.0 inch or RSR Down 1.5 inch is gonna lower my car. but prolly looking at 1.5 inches
Old 09-04-02, 02:19 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by blue wax
Jmai,
let me know what excatley you gonna do.

I went to the shop and that's what they came up with:
for the eibach pro kit installed, plus wheel alignment and lights, they will charge me aprox 400 US $.

So now I might concider the bilstein shocks as well for an extra 260 $. ( same job)

The lowering should than be more then just the 3 cm, from the springs only, plus as the back of the car is a little up, have it straight.

I'll do that, I think

yezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
what do you mean lights???? reread your post. i din't get the lights part.

Bilstein?? do they make shocks for our car. how are they compared to KYB. ???
Old 09-04-02, 02:22 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: SPRING

Originally posted by indypwr
WHAT UP, JOHN....

HOW'S EVERYTHING? U FINALLY GOING TO LOWER YR CAR?
DAMN, IT'S ABOUT TIME!!..HE.HE
WHAT TYPE OF SPRINGS/SHOCKS?

AFTER U LOWER UR CAR, OF COURSE, GET A 4-WHEEL ALIGNMENT THAT WILL COSTS U 100 BUCKS.

I KNOW THIS PLACE IN ALHAMBRA CALLED "GREG SOUNDS" ALONG VALLEY BLVD. CALL THEM UP....I PAID THEM 100 FR MINE AND THY ALSO INCLUDED THE FRONT/REAR CAMBER ADJUSTMENTS. IF UR NOT AWARE, OUR CARS HV ADJUSTABLE CAMBER FR BOTH FRONT AND REAR BUT U CAN ONLY ADJUST SO MUCH....MAYBE A FEW DEGREES. SEE IF THAT WORKS FIRST AND IF NOT, PURCHASE THOSE CAMBER KITS....WHICH WILL COSTS YOU AND ARM AND A LEG.!!!

MY TIRES HV EVEN WEAR ON ALL OF THEM. I'VE HD MY RIMS SINCE LATE LST YEAR......

LET ME KNOW, BRO....CALL ME UP.
WHATS UP PATRICK!!!!!!

man i haven't seen you in such a long time. long time you don't come here and you don't even know about our own forum now. so your should come here more often. also post up some picks of your dayam car. LOL. so what else have you done to yuor car. you ever get that swap in??? hey my headlights are gonna be for sale. the ones that you like. PM me and offer me a price. i'm doing a little secret project that i'm not telling anyone. LOL. so i'm getting rid of my current HID's if anyone wants to buy. OR ELSE. they are gonna go in my fogs and blind the fezuuccckzzz out of YOO. LOL.

i was gonna call you when i go lower my car so you can take me to go do it. cause i wanna take it to a shop that has work on a first gen gs before. i still got your number man. don't worry. i'll hit you up.

John
Old 09-04-02, 10:19 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

Hey John, I do not have the KYBs, I did price them though. I couldn't see the added expense to fix something that wasn't broke.

Besides, it is all going to eventually be replaced with either the HKS C/O or the Zeal kit. I wanted the Tein, but we'll see.

Todd

PS...the camber in the rear will be no problem, its the front that will not align. And guess what? There is no camber kit for the front, only the rear!