GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

will first gen ever look old?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-02, 01:52 AM
alexamparo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking will first gen ever look old?????

I decided to post this because i've been getting this soo much. i've only had my 95 gs300 for about 3 weeks and everyone who sees it who doesn't know much about cars (girls,profesors) always think that 1: it's a 2000 something and 2: it cost like $50000!!!! one of my profesors saw me getting into it after a class and he said wow nice car what is it? so i say it's a Lexus gs300. he says Niiiice what was it like $50000 i was like maybe when it was new lol!! thne he says what year is it 2001 and i laugh and say it's a 96. that wasn't the first time either I laugh to myself when girls make such a big deal about how expensive my car must've been and little do they know that i paid just about the same for that lexus as their daddy did for that new little neon!!! it's funny though i guess the emblem and the timeless beauty of that bigbody LEX can just fool anyone into thinking its a 50 g plus car. Meanwhile i'll just love my lex and the fact that i have a $11000 that looks like a brand new hi-roller. i bet you guys had experiences like this too!!
Old 09-16-02, 02:19 AM
LexFather

Well a GS 300 new was about 45-46k later in it's cycle. It is a pretty timeless car, outside the yellowing of the headlights, it looks great. That is Giugario (I think I spelled that wrong) styling for you. He has designed everything from concept cars to Lamborghini Jota, the VW supercar W-12, Audis, just about everything.

Simplicity, no creases in the sides, a sporty long hood, short deck proportions. A raised rear deck. Intergrated bumpers.

Great to hear the compliments, take care of your car!
Old 09-16-02, 02:26 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

even though it was designed like 10 years ago it still looks very nice (like how NSX is)
Old 09-16-02, 02:30 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

G.Giogaro(sp?) design is simply classic...
Old 09-16-02, 02:48 AM
GunnerMac
Lead Lap

Some of other members and I were discussing this very topic at the NorCal meet yesterday. I think it's amazing how the first gen GS still looks so current. Like Will said, a classic design.
Old 09-16-02, 03:00 AM
LexFather

Well proportions are almost perfect, front overhang to rear overhang. Look at how rounded the trunk is. This car has minimal fuss, it it will be harder to age. One crease in the hood (like ours). Look at how the doors are stamped compared to ours. Look at where the sideview mirrors are and the simplicity of the design. Look at the 2nd gens in the same area, a lot more tension.

The car is 194 inch long compared to the 2nd gens 189 inch. Funny, but some of the philosophy was similar to the ES 300 and LS400, offer a larger car for the money (compared to the 5 and E-class) however, the engine dept never had the V-8 option.
Old 09-16-02, 03:20 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

someone here posted a mini-meet of two 1st Gens. i was thinking that it was looking just a tiny bit dated, but with the kits that those two had, it looked very stylish and new. i can only hope the 2nd gen can stay like that.

you know what car also ages really well? all accords from 91-97. i still think those look good and their design changes every weekend
Old 09-16-02, 04:08 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by bravo261
someone here posted a mini-meet of two 1st Gens. i was thinking that it was looking just a tiny bit dated, but with the kits that those two had, it looked very stylish and new. i can only hope the 2nd gen can stay like that.

you know what car also ages really well? all accords from 91-97. i still think those look good and their design changes every weekend
that was me and indypwr. i took those pics down because they were too dark. indypwr had the white GS with brabus rims and a kit and lowered. while mine was bone stock except for clear front and rear, limo tint all around, and HID's.
Old 09-16-02, 08:46 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great design...yes it is...

Tonight, I was crusin' on the freeway and I started to come up on a black GS300 ('92-'95) and it was just stock but SUPER clean with only tinted windows...Man, it looked really nice...I just pictured how SICK it would look with a nice aero kit (Junction Produce, Veilside, etc.) and some nice 19's...makes we really want to get one...but damn, I have nowhere to park it (and I'm not parking that on the street!)

It's interesting that you bring up the pricing...I will be posting an article soon about doing it right w/o breaking into your kids (or your own) college fund...
Old 09-16-02, 06:00 PM
theanimala
Lead Lap

I agree, I do really still like the looks of the first gen GS. The one area that I think looks very aged is the interior. The new GS to me is much nicer on the inside.
Old 09-21-02, 09:43 PM
mcnelson
Lexus Test Driver

Hell no! :eek:
Old 09-22-02, 03:16 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

ya, parking attendants and others think my car is a 2000 because it looks nice and clean and above all--modern. The 2nd gen looks too "bubble shaped" like most cars on the road today.

Just a tip: I polished the exhaust pipes from the resonators to the rear mufflers and it makes the car look really good. It is nice to see those shiney pipes from the rear...it looks sporty and suits the style of the car.
Old 09-22-02, 03:54 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

It will be a long time before the styling of the 1st Gen gets lost.

Its nice to have so many of the 2nd gen guys browsing the forum. Thanks to all you guys for the support!

Todd
Old 09-22-02, 06:23 PM
blue wax
Lead Lap

our beloved 1 st Gen is 1 hell of a car.....!!

really smooth lines, and yes, people do think mine is like new too.. LOL.... the interior is absolutely not outdated, it's classic, with some nice woodtrim, and looks my opinion better then the merc's.
So aren't we lucky lexus freaks ??

yezzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZ !!!!!

Old 09-23-02, 12:56 AM
Seminole GS300
Pole Position

Talking

I agree. People have no idea how old my car is and wonder how a 22 year old law student pays for it. Little do they know it's about 10 years old. This will not be my last Lexus.

Quick Reply: will first gen ever look old?????