GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Air intake restriction

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-02, 11:35 AM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am doing this mod after work today. I can't wait. Thank you so much for this.

I'm excited about hopefully seeing some 1st gen kill posts on this board (even if it's just a Ford Contour).

Why don't we come up with a consensus on the best, cleanest way to go about this mod and sticky it or post it in the DIY section?

I'll let you guys now how it works on my car.

This board rocks.
Old 09-26-02, 02:52 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drilled holes in the airbox to let in more air, but it made way too much noise so I covered the holes with a plastic plate.

I'm talking about removing the black plastic box just before the throttle. From what I remember, this box is used to quiet down the intake noise by reducing the diameter of the pipe and diverting some air into the box. I just replaced the box with a three-inch diameter tube. Works well and it did not increase the sound.
Old 09-26-02, 02:55 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I agree with you. That box serves no purpose other than to decrease the noise level.
Old 01-28-03, 12:14 AM
gompka
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

whats the deal with this mod guys? i am getting an intake soon and I want to try this.
Old 01-28-03, 01:24 AM
alexamparo
Pole Position

Originally posted by 93LexoGS300
I drilled holes in the airbox to let in more air, but it made way too much noise so I covered the holes with a plastic plate.

I'm talking about removing the black plastic box just before the throttle. From what I remember, this box is used to quiet down the intake noise by reducing the diameter of the pipe and diverting some air into the box. I just replaced the box with a three-inch diameter tube. Works well and it did not increase the sound.
I did this same thing on my previous car a 1997 Nissan Maxima.....the resonator is there to reduce engine noise and while doing this also manages to reduce the speed of air thus reducing HP.....I simply replaced this with a custom intake i had made for this car that combined the tubing from a Cold Air Intake kit fitted to a Stillen Pop Charger Filter...I plan on doing the same exact setup for my lex as soon as I get him put back together. and I don't know bout the lex but the Max had a deeper sound when I took off the resonator.
Old 01-28-03, 01:28 AM
alexamparo
Pole Position

Originally posted by marcus
Here's my picture showing the location of the throttle arm, for lack of a better term. You can see I mickey-moused this as I did it late one night. I used a piece of wire to hold a 1/4 inch nut between the arm and the "stop". This effectively holds some secondary throttle open 24/7. I am still amazed what an improvement this has made off the line. As far as a change in gas mileage, I am not sure if it affects it negatively enought that I will remove it. I LIKE THE EXTRA POWER.
I guess i'm dumb cause it seems like everyone else gets it.....what mickey mouse? what 1/4 inch nut and where is the "Stop"....
Old 01-28-03, 04:08 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by alexamparo
I did this same thing on my previous car a 1997 Nissan Maxima.....the resonator is there to reduce engine noise and while doing this also manages to reduce the speed of air thus reducing HP.....I simply replaced this with a custom intake i had made for this car that combined the tubing from a Cold Air Intake kit fitted to a Stillen Pop Charger Filter...I plan on doing the same exact setup for my lex as soon as I get him put back together. and I don't know bout the lex but the Max had a deeper sound when I took off the resonator.
This mod will add a good amount of horsepower, especially at the top-end.
Old 01-28-03, 04:22 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by alexamparo
I guess i'm dumb cause it seems like everyone else gets it.....what mickey mouse? what 1/4 inch nut and where is the "Stop"....
The third post by Marcus shows a picture of the intake manifold.

If you start from the throttle and move to the right, the intake splits into two parts. Follow these two parts to the right and they will connect to a large piece. If you look in the area between the points where the two parts connect with the large piece, there is a "throttle lever" that controls the opening of a second throttle valve inside the intake. This valve opens when the engine is at full throttle. The tweak involves placing a 1/4 object (screw) between the throttle and the stop so the throttle is always partially open, but feel free to experiment with different settings. This tweak has increased part throttle torque.
Old 01-28-03, 08:12 AM
RooLex
Rookie

Are you guys doing this on a '2JZ-ge' engine or is it a '2JZ-GTE' ??

as you can tell I'm kinda lost
Old 01-28-03, 12:44 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by RooLex

It is the non-turbo engine, I don't know what the engine number is.
Old 01-28-03, 01:46 PM
marcus
Driver

The engine that I did this mod on is the in-line 6 cylinder that is 3.0 liter displacement, naturally aspirated, standard engine for 1993 to 1997 gs300's sold in America. And... after driving with this mod for a long time, there is no measurable decrease in gas mileage.
Old 01-28-03, 03:58 PM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Cool

Originally posted by RooLex

Its the 2jz-ge engine.
Old 01-30-03, 03:04 AM
RooLex
Rookie

Wink .

Just as well I asked before I went rooting for it,
thanks lads
Old 01-30-03, 12:22 PM
indypwr
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you guys, you should try this mod. i did this mod past saturday and boy, the car takes off a little quicker off the line. just remember to reset yr ecu (unplug yr battery for a few mins) before your test run. the car didn't seem to eat more gas....very
little i shud say, but it works!!!.....and it works better on highway!
Old 01-30-03, 09:48 PM
kts_GS3
Lead Lap

Do I HAVE to reset the ecu (unplug battery for a few mins) in order to feel the difference?

Quick Reply: Air intake restriction