GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

WTF! is it the ALTERNATOR???

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-02, 02:07 AM
alexamparo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry WTF! is it the ALTERNATOR???

Hey whats up guys. i'm pissed cause i just had a car full of girls ready to go to the club and my car starts to act up. while it was idling in park the battery light came on. so i parked it cause i didn't wanna risk having it stall in the middle of the parking lot so i do that and when i go to turn it back on theirs no battery. Now i had the music on pretty loud but if the alternator is charging the batt. that shouldn't be a problem. anyway what else can it be?? it ain't the starter cuz the car starts with a boost and the problem came up while the car was on. Also this battery is less than a month old cuz i replaced it one time that the car was doing the same thing and i thought it was the battery. so i replaced the batt. and all was well for like two weeks. now i turn up the music all the way with the car parked and it does this??? is it the alternator?? how much typically for a 1995 gs alternator with labor??? (ohh and yes the girls had to walk back to now that i think of it i shouldv'e walked with them but i was tooo pissed off
Old 10-05-02, 05:32 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes sounds like your alternator. the reason why it worked for 2 weeks is because your battery was new and was just living off your battery. sounds like your alternator is barely pushing out enough juice. may need to be rewound or a good time for a upgrade. btw if you find an alternator for our car that has more amps that stock please let me know
Old 10-05-02, 02:09 PM
2Lexos
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

see here's the common misconception, a little light that comes on your dash that looks like the battery means that you have a bad battery.........WRONG......it should be a light that says CHARGING SYSTEM or something to that effect. cause i use to have trouble explaning to people that they needed an alternator when their "BATTERY" light came on. and of course the common joe thinks it the "BATTERY" cause its a "BATTERY LIGHT". big mistake on the car manufacturers part if you ask me. good luck with your search for an alternator.....if you end up doing it yourself just know that there is a core charge if you don't bring in your old alternator.
Old 10-05-02, 02:18 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Pep Boys

Believe it or not, you can buy an alternator for your car at Pep Boys. When my starter failed, I bought the new one at Pep Boys for about $160. The dealer wanted about $290 or so for the part. I wouldn't let those apes install the part at Pep Boys, though. My bro and my dad did mine.