GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

anyone got service manual??

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-02, 05:54 PM
alexamparo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone got service manual??

I gotta replace my alternator tomorrow so i would feel more confident if i had something to guide me. anyone got the cd manual or a haynes/chilton manual?? if it's possible can you email the pages on replacing the alternator to me?? i would just buy one but i doubt it would be here before tomorrow morning. anyway my email is alexamparo17@hotmail.com. also anyone who's done this to their car can you just give a basic walkthrough of how to do it. It doesn't look hard from what i see but never know.
Old 10-06-02, 03:56 AM
financial guy
Rookie

Default EASY

Dont stress. Just remember to disconnect your negative battery cable before starting. You should have no trouble at all. If you need help, just ask here. Most guys have done something along these lines before

John
Old 10-16-02, 05:27 PM
BMJ
Driver School Candidate

Is there a manual on cd for the GS300? Sounds intriguing since I'm on a computer alot.
Bryan
Old 10-16-02, 07:54 PM
alexamparo
Pole Position

yeah on ebay its a factory service manual it's supposedly the one the dealer uses. anyway it went for like 30 bucks i'm sure theres more i plan to buy on soon.
Old 10-16-02, 11:02 PM
BMJ
Driver School Candidate

Alex, saw it on Ebay. This is a legit manual??
Has the common things like plug change out, struts, ect??
30 bucks "ain't" bad at all!
Bryan
Old 10-17-02, 01:58 PM
alexamparo
Pole Position

Man its hard to know whether anything on ebay is legit. Ask trhe seller a few questions i guess. Who makes it?? is it genuine lexus/toyota or is it another company. if so is it a copy?? and does it come with literature or something?? just to see if its real. I plan on buying one soon since theirs no haynes or chilton for our car. good luck with whatever you do.
Old 10-17-02, 03:35 PM
BMJ
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Alex, I'll probably take the hit for the 30 bucks and take a gamble.
Old 10-17-02, 06:49 PM
BMJ
Driver School Candidate

Took the plundge on the ebay disks. I hope it is worth the 40 bucks for the toyota/lexus manuals 1983-2000.
I have '98 4Runner also so would be right on with what I need.
Old 10-17-02, 09:13 PM
sbgs400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

let us know how it is
Old 10-18-02, 11:02 AM
GSX-R1000
Driver School Candidate

I bought one a while back. It has a lot of info, you just have to go fishing around for it. My opinion is that it's not structured well enough. (No Index) That’s just my 2 cents.
Old 10-18-02, 05:48 PM
BMJ
Driver School Candidate

Will do on the eval of how the disks are. No index according to the last gent. Will see.
Old 05-27-07, 02:28 PM
jpw
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help needed replacing alternator

Hi,
I'm replacing mine but I think I'm stuck..

I have the lower nut off and it looks like I can slide it off the hopefully stationary bolt.. The upper bolt removal isn't going so well. I can't seem to remove it with a wrachet because the fan pully is getting in the way as I loosen the bolt - am I supposed to remove the fan ?

Also, how do you loosen the Vbelt ? I'm sure I'm going to have to do this. Usually on other cars the alternator has a stationary attachement and another that kinds slides, loosening and tightening the belt - this one doesn't seem to work that way, though...

Any help would be apprecated.. Please reply to this post so others later can see in the future.. Thanks much ! Oh, btw, I have a 1st gen GS300...
Old 05-27-07, 07:14 PM
Tranman

Worst case...you guys can use the Toyota Online manual...you pay for access..but you can download the entire manual in pieces and reassemble offline if you have the patience - http://techinfo.toyota.com/
Old 05-27-07, 07:48 PM
95gs300
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright to loosen the belt there is a tensioner which is (standing in front of car) the first polly to the right of the fan, you'll see a bolt on it prob a 13 or 14 mil I think you have to push it to the right and the whole pully is going to move, then just slide the belt off the alternater. I wouldn't remove the fan you should be able to get in there with a wrench, and in case you didn't know take off the belt first, write back if you run into anymore problems.
Old 05-28-07, 11:19 AM
jpw
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Steps to replace install new alternator

Thanks for the help ! Loosening the belt was the trick.. For anyone else, this wasn't as bad and here's what I did to replace my alternator in the GS300

-Put the car up on ramps and secure the car.
-disconnect battery
-remove lower plastic cover under engine.
-remove lower portion of fan shroud - pretty easy - just unclip the 2
metal clips on the side and pull out the bottom. Not sure if this was necessary but it gave me more room.
-Disconnect elect connections to alternator. One is just a nut, the other a connector. To undo the connector, just pull the rubber cover off, then grab the hard plastic connector (squeeze the end that faces away from the alternator and it will open the connector to let it slide off)
-I removed the lower nut from the alternator mounting stud.
-Loosen the serpentine belt by using a 14mm socket mounted to the tensioner cam (in the middle that's not attached to any accessory) and turning clockwise as you're in front of the car facing the car. I have a 18" pipe that I use as additiona leverage. It's about 1" in diameter... I then pounded one end of it so that it'd fit over a socket wrench. This pipe has saved me so many times I can't count them with tough bolts/nuts over the years.
-Remove the belt from the alternator pulley
-Now you have room to remove the upper bolt from the Alternator mount. That's it , there are only 2 mounting points. Now that you have the mount off, you'll have to slide the alternator towards the front of the car (between 2 fan blades) to totally remove the alternator. I pulled mine out of the top (there's a wire that I moved to the rear a little bit to get room) myself - if you can get it out the bottom try that. Be patient during this step as well as installation of the new alt. You have to work it, but it'll go in - don't damage that electrical connector on the left....

It wasn't that bad. Install is the same as removal except that I remember I bolted the alternator in before I put the belt on. I didn't have a helper during these steps but I know having someone do this for me while I installed/removed the belt from the pully wouldn't certainly made it easier !

I also put dialectic grease in both electrical connections.

I hope this helps someone else in the future help you save $$$ from paying you mechanic or more expensively the Lexus mechanic !!

Quick Reply: anyone got service manual??