re: R154 swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-11, 01:02 PM
jaymil31
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: R154 swap

Hey guys
I am just about to walk down this road my tranny went a few days ago and I already have the mayor components to make this happen. I dont really agree with deleting the abs unit but I know plenty of guys have and i guess it is the owners choice. I wanted to know from everyone who has this swap what is the benifit changing the braking system. My second question is why is most of the guys on the supraforum retaining there abs system and just deleting the trac part of the system. I am just wondering because if they are retaining it i think its safe to say we need to keep it according each unique application. For some of us driffing our gs i think it doesnt matter but I love driving my gs300 more than my 430. I use my gs300 everyday. So all I am asking is what is your opinion?????????????

Last edited by jaymil31; 10-30-11 at 01:04 PM. Reason: missing words
Old 10-31-11, 08:13 AM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

they delete the trac so that the trac doesnt apply the brakes when they spin the tires. they usually get rid of the trac throttle body butterfly as well. fullmirror polishing will remove it (rip it out and weld it up and make it look like it never existed) for ~$130 iirc. then ~$100 more to polish the tb.

as for why to delete the abs. abs is there for people that dont know how to drive and slam the brakes when they panic and lock the wheels up putting the car into an uncontrolled skid. if you know how to drive and wont let anyone else drive it, abs isnt needed. its a preference thing.
Old 10-31-11, 09:29 AM
jaymil31
Driver

Default re

I understand what you are saying and I can drive without abs its the reassurance i guess. the supra guys delete it for wheel spin I understand but they still retain abs no mater what because the same way I feel and there is a laundry load of stuff I done to my gs and safety is a key thing for me. I really think the supra guys retain it because of the big horse power gains they attain and there breaking system. It is just my thought, but thanks for your input. I think I will do a detail "How to do" with pic to retain abs and delete the trac system. It is quite easy not difficult. The other thing is there is no detailed pictures specific on how do you to delete the whole system (abs/trac system). I am running the aem and the trac system is not used anyway so it doesnt really matter about well spin...
Old 10-31-11, 09:38 AM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

another thing is that to delete the abs system, you have to make alot of new lines etc.. not alot of people can do that and have it look proper. so for most people they just leave it alone. also, with abs, ins is cheaper. prolly wouldnt look to good if you got in a wreck and your policy stated you had abs, and the investigator sees that it has been deleted etc... most the mk4 guys are not diy'ers. and the cost to have a shop do an abs delete isnt cheap, especially when it ads no power to the car etc.... the cost/benifit just isnt there for most people. iirc, every car ive seen built for pure racing, wether drag or road coarse, they have deleted the abs.
Old 11-03-11, 09:24 AM
jaymil31
Driver

Default re

Ok so i have listen to you and I am a safety person first so my gs will not be seeing the track. So i have decided to do a relocation kit for my battery to the trunk and extend 2 lines and relocate the trac pump and accumulator to where the battery use to be so I dont touch the brake system. It is a hell of lot cheaper and I dont have to worry abs or brake lights on the dash. I am happy and it will be a clean and I will do dyi for it.....