Transmission question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-12, 11:48 AM
MyGS3
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ihiryu
Cool if it solves the problem, you owe me lunch

Yeah the SC guys didn't know it for awhile until I brought it up lol. I'm a mechanic by trade so I kinda keep up with these things.
I can definitely handle lunch.

Is it something that is visible on the surface? Or would the mechanic have to remove things to get to the TSP?
Old 01-12-12, 12:55 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, if you tell him he should know what the TPS is
Old 01-14-12, 12:53 AM
promod1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your transmission detent (kickdown) cable needs adjusted, that changes the fluid pressures in relation to the throttle position. the tighter the tension, the firmer the engagement and shifts. less tension in the cable softens the feel. I started in the middle of the range and made small adjustments until i found a sweet spot i liked. then do the same on the throttle cable, all you are doing is changing the throttle response you feel as the driver, nothing the engine sees, but youll be amazed how that changes the throttle feel and driveability. I just did this on mine the last few days and i love the difference. I believe you dont want it too soft, as i would imagine less fluid pressure equals more slippage of clutches but your problem should be solved with a little time spent playing with it. Hope this helps...
Old 01-14-12, 01:04 AM
promod1
Driver School Candidate

As far as TPS, acts as an accelerator pump squirter is to a carburetor. It commands the initial fuel and air for the first few moments the throttle is opened, until the air coming in the system is processed by the maf and gets to the engine, other wise youd have a dead spot on accel.. or maybe we all just need forced induction...hmm
Old 01-14-12, 06:35 AM
MyGS3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by promod1
Your transmission detent (kickdown) cable needs adjusted, that changes the fluid pressures in relation to the throttle position. the tighter the tension, the firmer the engagement and shifts. less tension in the cable softens the feel. I started in the middle of the range and made small adjustments until i found a sweet spot i liked. then do the same on the throttle cable, all you are doing is changing the throttle response you feel as the driver, nothing the engine sees, but youll be amazed how that changes the throttle feel and driveability. I just did this on mine the last few days and i love the difference. I believe you dont want it too soft, as i would imagine less fluid pressure equals more slippage of clutches but your problem should be solved with a little time spent playing with it. Hope this helps...
This is really good info. I will pass this info along to my mechanic.
Old 01-17-12, 09:05 AM
850Lexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ihiryu
Throttle Position Sensor. It sits on the throttle body.

It's a really common issue for us SC guys too. Like it clunks like crazy when you go from Park to Reverse right?
I was thinking this might be my issues because when I ease on to the gas from a stop there is a hesitation and jerks when it catches. My fluid looks as new as it did 35k miles ago but I am about to change that as well.

I already adjusted the throttle cable and took the slack out which help!!!

I was thinking the other alternative was my torque converter since I am almost at 200k.

Originally Posted by promod1
Where would I find this to adjust? I may go home on my lunch break to fix!!!

My old accord had same problem and I adjusted the throttle positioning cable and fixed it.

I love this site!!!

Last edited by 850Lexus; 01-17-12 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-20-12, 09:08 PM
promod1
Driver School Candidate

Its the cable by your throttle cable that leads to the transmission. opposite side of the throttle cable. theres also one that goes to a box on your inner fender, thats the cruise control.
Old 01-20-12, 09:45 PM
MyGS3
Pole Position

Update: I planned on going to see the car on Saturday (tomorrow), and I receive a text from the owner who tells me he sold the car. Needless to say, I was disappointed.

My search continues.....