GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

time to work on the exhaust need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-12, 09:09 PM
AFTHUG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default time to work on the exhaust need advice

Well my gs is coming along, I noticed an exhaust smell from my driver side. I looked around and noticed from the headers on the piping was tampered with. There is no cat converter and looks like a terrible attempt to customize piping to a single exhaust at a high school shop was done. So pretty much I need to have everything redone. I was thinking about doing a cat back with dual exhaust, but I am not very knowledgeable in this area. Can you guys help me out or give me some good companies to go through. I was thinking greddy or tanabi, I just want a nice intimidating sound and in the future I am doing a gte swap so will help my performance later on.
Old 04-15-12, 06:19 AM
cnewingham
Driver

We have a very limited option for catbacks and the easiest one is custom at the exhaust shop. Search magnaflow in this section and you can get the soundclips and part number
Old 04-16-12, 08:40 AM
mkiiisupra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what ^he^ said. Most exhaust for our cars are upwards of 1k and have piping sized for the GTE motor, and if bought new, come from japan with a long wait. Keep in mind, if you plan on doing a GTE swap later, you're going to want a different piping size so you might as well not even bother until you do the swap (like me) or just go with the cheapest option possible
Old 04-16-12, 12:42 PM
jaymil31
Driver

Default re: exhaust

For the best possible sound I went with a custom exhaust which included a 3in intermidiate pipe with a 3in free flow cat into 2.5 inch dual xl magnaflows. It has a nice tone and sound extremely good wide open throttle.......i am turbocharged with a 3 inch down pipe add to the system and it flows very well.... Total when I got it done about 500 bucks
Old 04-16-12, 06:25 PM
AFTHUG
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jaymil31
For the best possible sound I went with a custom exhaust which included a 3in intermidiate pipe with a 3in free flow cat into 2.5 inch dual xl magnaflows. It has a nice tone and sound extremely good wide open throttle.......i am turbocharged with a 3 inch down pipe add to the system and it flows very well.... Total when I got it done about 500 bucks
I like that option, can I put that piping now with my stock engine? I pretty much want to have the piping set up so when I do the swap it all said and done.
Old 04-16-12, 07:57 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You really need somewhere around 2.25" piping for stock. Honestly, if you do plan on swapping it, I would take it to an exhaust shop, let them fix whatever is wrong and wait until you swap the car and get the exhaust done. This will give you time to figure out what you want to do and get some research done. Also might want to check your charcoal canister, those can make it smell like exhaust.