GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

leaky fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-12 | 08:45 PM
jasonxxx
Driver School Candidate

Smile leaky fluid

i recently bought a 94 gs300. i replaced the radiator, radiator hoses, thermostat and alternator. i now have a leak either from before or after i bought it. its either tranny fluid or power steering fluid due to it having the red tint to it. i know i need a tranny flush due to it being burnt but i dont know where the leak is coming from. i even put it on ramps and looked. i have fluid on the rack and pinion, the power steering lines and the front left and rear right of the engine. im not a mechanic but a DIY guy. im pretty good at fixing stuff and following direction. please help. any ideas
Old 07-28-12 | 09:42 PM
jasonxxx
Driver School Candidate

I was thinking it could be the power steering lines leaking but the power steering fluid level is full. i haven't added any fluid either. any feed back will be greatly appreciated. i dont have alot of money to fix the issue so would like to know any ways to do this budget friendly. thx
Old 07-29-12 | 01:11 PM
2GSC300
Lead Lap

It could be a rear main seal too.
Old 07-29-12 | 07:14 PM
jasonxxx
Driver School Candidate

why do you say that? i have no oil at all on the transmission. just infront and the front right and back left of the engine. i think it might be the oil cooler lines. im gonna check both sides and get back here. i really love this car and plan on sporting it out. but not to crazy. the 2jz-ge engine is awesome and its a steel block instead of aluminum like many others. i know this car has alot left in her. she only has 203,000miles on her but i know she could go for another 150,000.
Old 07-29-12 | 08:07 PM
2GSC300
Lead Lap

Rear main was not the right suggestion. You may be right on your diag. Pics could help.
Old 07-29-12 | 11:11 PM
onelt1
Pole Position

Yes pics would help but you say its reddish in color thinking it might be your valve cover gaskets. My valve cover gaskets are leaking and it drips oil straight onto the exhaust manifold. I know engine oil isn't red but perhaps the oil is newish and mixing with some dirt on the engine. The fan will blow oils and coolant all over the place so tracking it can be a bit difficult.
Old 07-30-12 | 12:54 AM
jasonxxx
Driver School Candidate

Once I get under it tomorrow I'll be able to post some pics. Hopefully I'm right about the lines.
Old 07-31-12 | 03:41 PM
jasonxxx
Driver School Candidate

Default fixed that problem and onto the next project

hey guys. it was the line on the left side of the radiator. i replaced both trans cooler lines with new clamps as well as put some high temp fitting tape on the post that comes off the radiator. cleaned the oil off the underside of the engine and boom done, no leak. now my next project is to replace all the control arm bushings, strut mounts and sway bar bushings. their pretty shot. any help on finding these parts would be appreciated. thanks
Old 07-31-12 | 03:46 PM
jasonxxx
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by onelt1
Yes pics would help but you say its reddish in color thinking it might be your valve cover gaskets. My valve cover gaskets are leaking and it drips oil straight onto the exhaust manifold. I know engine oil isn't red but perhaps the oil is newish and mixing with some dirt on the engine. The fan will blow oils and coolant all over the place so tracking it can be a bit difficult.
sorry didnt have time to do pics. between work, school and finding the issue i got down with the task quickly. i will post pics of her as soon as i have time. she is gonna be my project/daily between my two cars.
it was the line on the left side of the radiator. i replaced both trans cooler lines with new clamps as well as put some high temp fitting tape on the post that comes off the radiator. cleaned the oil off the underside of the engine and boom done, no leak. now my next project is to replace all the control arm bushings, strut mounts and sway bar bushings. their pretty shot. any help on finding these parts would be appreciated. thanks
Old 07-31-12 | 03:47 PM
jasonxxx
Driver School Candidate

Default fixed that problem and onto the next project

Originally Posted by 2GSC300
Rear main was not the right suggestion. You may be right on your diag. Pics could help.
sorry didnt have time to do pics. between work, school and finding the issue i got down with the task quickly. i will post pics of her as soon as i have time. she is gonna be my project/daily between my two cars.
it was the line on the left side of the radiator. i replaced both trans cooler lines with new clamps as well as put some high temp fitting tape on the post that comes off the radiator. cleaned the oil off the underside of the engine and boom done, no leak. now my next project is to replace all the control arm bushings, strut mounts and sway bar bushings. their pretty shot. any help on finding these parts would be appreciated. thanks
Old 07-31-12 | 08:10 PM
onelt1
Pole Position

Glad you found the problem and fixed it